Hunters at Batch St

Printable View

• 11-08-2007
    fat_weasel
    Hunters at Batch St
    Was riding up the access trail yesterday when I heard gunfire, and lots of it. Sounded like these guys were using semiautomatic rifles and rapid-firing entire clips. I kept hearing it all the way down Twister, so I decided to end the ride early.

Serious bummer. I'm a little sketched out on sharing the forest with hunters under the best of circumstances, and knowing that there are idiots out there rapid-firing their weapons and playing Rambo is way worse. There weren't any other cars in the lot at the time, so no chance of getting a plate number and calling the cops or DCR.

I guess the moral of the story is be careful out there.
  • 11-08-2007
    redwarrior
    Bummer. I think it's only bow season (for deer). I think rabbit is in season, too but for those you have to use small caliber rifles (I think). I think that side of the hill is sheilded from it but are you sure it wasn't from the gun club on the other side? Probably not, huh.

Ride this weekend? Saturday I'm busy with my family but maybe Sun? PM me.

Red
  • 11-08-2007
    SuperbMan
    Guys-I should add that there is a very active firing range (often used by granby/ s. hadley police) adjacent to Batchelor st-in the dead of summer-especially on a weekday you'll hear the shots a plenty.

And Bow season is over-it's shot gun season now (i think only bird right now however)
  • 11-08-2007
    fat_weasel
    This was way closer than the shooting range...hard to judge in those hills, but I think they were on the south side of the quarry. And they were definitely using semiauto rifles, not shotguns.

Red-I'll hit you up when I know what my weekend schedule is like.
  • 11-08-2007
    Big-Mac
    the shot's may have been coming from one of the private parcels of land that some of the trails are on. simple.... just be loud/sing like a moron while wizzing down the trail. Oh-yeah and dress in bright colors
    Mac,
  • 11-17-2007
    Ridge Wrecker
    FW-

Since this is your first Fall in Mass...

Deer shotgun season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving and lasts for two weeks. Muzzleloader season is after that. I usually avoid riding during shotgun season (unless it's a night ride). Of course Sunday's are off limits to hunters. If you're going to ride during the day with hunters and shotguns, you'll definetely want to wear something brightly colored.

I always check the hunting schedule every Fall. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recre...ting_dates.pdf

Nice Avatar. Where'd you get that? Hmmm... :D
  • 11-18-2007
    fat_weasel
    Hmm, so far I haven't seen much evidence of hunting around B Street except for those shots that day. I ought to go snag one of those red vests though...

Yeah, the avatar may be a little too close to the truth sometimes. It's a sign I swiped from the side of an off-ramp in VT a couple weeks ago. No idea what it meant, but I had to have it.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge Wrecker
    FW-

Since this is your first Fall in Mass...

Deer shotgun season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving and lasts for two weeks. Muzzleloader season is after that. I usually avoid riding during shotgun season (unless it's a night ride). Of course Sunday's are off limits to hunters. If you're going to ride during the day with hunters and shotguns, you'll definetely want to wear something brightly colored.

I always check the hunting schedule every Fall. http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recre...ting_dates.pdf

Nice Avatar. Where'd you get that? Hmmm... :D