HP conditions anyone?

Printable View

• 01-13-2010
    BMJ
    HP conditions anyone?
    1, 2, 5" snow left?
  • 01-13-2010
    Spastook
    Miles Standish State Forest hardpack snow 100% rideable, stick to snowmobile trails.
  • 01-14-2010
    sherpa2000
    I live next to the forest, still looking at 4-5 inches of a packed base with crunchy stuff on top. The main fire roads might be usable. Single track is useless.
  • 01-28-2010
    shadrack
    How about now?
  • 01-28-2010
    BMJ
    Stopped by there last night to check.

Single track has about 2" loose granular. The fire roads are packed tight but very lumpy, low tire psi and soft suspension damping will help. Studs on the fire roads might be nice too. My grippy hiking boots were slipping easily.

I'm heading an "Ice Box" ride on Sunday morning. I'm hoping that the next couple cold days will solidify the single track more.
  • 01-28-2010
    shadrack
    What time and which lot are you starting from? I think there is something in the works for Sunday up here, but if it falls through maybe I'll join you.
  • 01-31-2010
    BMJ
    Just got back from HP. Conditions were good as long as you stayed on the popular trails. The snow is packed and solid. Studs by choice, not necc. Stay off the fire roads, super bumpy due to foot and horse traffic.
  • 01-31-2010
    RideFaster
    I rode the fireroads and singletrack without studs. Like BMJ said, if you stay on popular trails, the conditions are really, really good. Fireroads are rough, but rideable.

I rode Saturday and Sunday and had fun.
  • 01-31-2010
    sherpa2000
    You guys are brave for going out in the cold. I live right next to HP, got a new bike and still wimped out. Maybe i'll put my man pants on tomorrow and go for a spin.
  • 01-31-2010
    BMJ
    You need the cold with the current snow cover. If the temps come up too high or the sun becomes too strong, the pack will loosen up and make riding miserable. It's not bad at all once you get going. The toes always get me though.
  • 02-01-2010
    sherpa2000
    So, I rode in HP and Ward this evening about 1.5hrs. Mixed Ice, hard packed snow, and solid dirt. It was fun for sure and super happy to be out on the new ride. -Sherp
  • 02-01-2010
    BMJ
    Ahhh, you put on your man pants after all.... Good to hear. So what's the new ride?
  • 02-01-2010
    sherpa2000
    I'm now riding a Giant Trance XO from an 2006 S-works Stumpjumper. I must say the Giant is way better. No more pedal bob a few pounds lighter, lighter wheels. Much more sporty feel too.
  • 02-02-2010
    BMJ
    Cool! Good to hear you enjoy your new toy! ....ummmmmm toyzzzz!!!
  • 02-04-2010
    sherpa2000
    2 hours this evening in HP and the conditions are excellent with mostly packed snow. This weekend should be great.
  • 02-05-2010
    dan0
    excellent today on the jenkins rd park side
    anyone been on the other side ?
  • 02-05-2010
    shadrack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dan0
    excellent today on the jenkins rd park side
    anyone been on the other side ?

Studs or rubber?
  • 02-05-2010
    dan0
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shadrack
    Studs or rubber?

I'm running studs , but I saw 2 people on rubber
    its packed snow mostly, very little ice
  • 02-05-2010
    sherpa2000
    5 Attachment(s)
    Again today. I rode from the house...to the Jenkin's lot, around the Salem pond area...up the back side...and back out...across Jenkin's Road...to the "West Side". 80% packed snow, 10% Ice, 10% frozen dirt. Should be a great weekend for riding. Pictures are from the Jenkin's and Salem Pond areas. You could go either way with studs or rubber, but I found the riding to have more than enough grip on the snow with just rubber. The ice was slippy.
  • 02-05-2010
    RideFaster
    Thanks for the report.
  • 02-11-2010
    shadrack
    Anybody know how much snow fell yesterday? Still rideable? We only got a dusting half an hour north of HP.
  • 02-11-2010
    BMJ
    Same here. I'm out of Danvers and dusting is all we got as well. I can't imagine HP got much more than that. Conditions in HP have been great the past few weeks, should still be the same.
  • 02-11-2010
    shadrack
    Thanks. Good to know.
  • 02-11-2010
    dan0
    Hp is good , same as last week
    I would go either early or after dark though, they have about 3" of hard packed snow that will turn to crap as it warms up. Supposed to be warm days through Tuesday at least
  • 02-14-2010
    woodyak
    Anybody get out there today? Has the thaw affected the conditions. I'd like to ride it tomorrow at noon but I'm concerned it'll be too slushy.
  • 02-14-2010
    shadrack
    It was awesome yesterday. No studs required. Got a little mushy in a couple spots around 1:00, but other than that it was rippin
  • 02-14-2010
    mtbikerejg
    HP East if hard pack and fast, especially in the early am! Both yesterday and today were epic conditions.HP east single track is well packed, a little ice, but studs really not required. HP west has more hard pack dirt than HP East. We dont usually have these conditions (for this long) most winters..get out and enjoy before they are gone!
  • 02-14-2010
    dan0
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodyak
    Anybody get out there today? Has the thaw affected the conditions. I'd like to ride it tomorrow at noon but I'm concerned it'll be too slushy.

you just need to get out before it warms up, totally weather dependant
  • 02-15-2010
    yogreg
    Hope it warms up soon. Riding in snow/mush sucks.
  • 02-15-2010
    woodyak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yogreg
    Hope it warms up soon. Riding in snow/mush sucks.

You should make your way up north (on 128 that is). Dogtown has been mostly dirt for a couple of weeks now. Other places have been decent as well.
  • 02-15-2010
    dan0
    better get your rides in today
    supposed to get 4-8" tomorrow
  • 02-15-2010
    yogreg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodyak
    You should make your way up north (on 128 that is). Dogtown has been mostly dirt for a couple of weeks now. Other places have been decent as well.

Yup
  • 02-15-2010
    mtbikerejg
    HP Today (2/15/10)
    Well, the totally awesome conditions on all the singletrack are history. Today at 12 everything was mashed potatoes, some sections were still packed but overall, lots of front wheel digging and uphills were like riding in soft beech sand. Latest predictions 3-6 inches might make for good grooming (and filling in the postholes) on the fireroads, making things ridable again by the weekend. Powder would be great!
  • 02-15-2010
    dan0
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbikerejg
    Well, the totally awesome conditions on all the singletrack are history. Today at 12 everything was mashed potatoes, some sections were still packed but overall, lots of front wheel digging and uphills were like riding in soft beech sand. Latest predictions 3-6 inches might make for good grooming (and filling in the postholes) on the fireroads, making things ridable again by the weekend. Powder would be great!

dont count on it
    supposed to be above freezing all week into weekend
  • 02-19-2010
    SpecialK
    HP for the weekend?
    Anyone taken a look at HP over the last day or two? I was thinking about riding there over the weekend but I'm thinking its probably going to be a muddy slushy mess.
  • 02-19-2010
    woodyak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecialK
    Anyone taken a look at HP over the last day or two? I was thinking about riding there over the weekend but I'm thinking its probably going to be a muddy slushy mess.

It was a mess on Monday. I can't imagine it being any better after getting 6+ of wet snow on top of that.
  • 02-19-2010
    dan0
    probably your best bet is real early before it gets above freezing
  • 03-04-2010
    sherpa2000
    I just did a twitter search for Harold Parker and came across a reference for some of this sh!t going on in HP. I'm so fu(king pissed right now seeing this sh!T:madmax: I want to call the cops and show them what the hell is going on. Atleast have this account shut down.

http://twitter.com/cruisingforsex
  • 03-04-2010
    sherpa2000
    So yeah, I emailed twitter law enforcement and my local police. This stuff pisses me off, I'd love to catch them in action and give them a tail whip to the noggin all Hans Rey/Chuck Norris style.
  • 03-05-2010
    Crankypants
    It's not news to the LE, or the staties less than a mile from the main cruiser lot, or anyone else who's ever parked there. Go to the lot by the barracks by yourself someday and just sit in the car. See how long it takes before a cop pulls up beside you. I've seen it happen. (I'm the wrong gender, so neither party is interested in me...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherpa2000
    So yeah, I emailed twitter law enforcement and my local police. This stuff pisses me off, I'd love to catch them in action and give them a tail whip to the noggin all Hans Rey/Chuck Norris style.