Holidays... In-laws... Wellesley area... Need to ride...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Holidays... In-laws... Wellesley area... Need to ride...

12/25 & 26th, I'll be at the sister in-law's in Wellesley for chritmas and curious of near by rides. Last yr I hit Callahan State Park. It was fun, fast with flow but not too technical. Perhaps I just missed some of the better routes, but felt like I had covered in essence the outer loop with a few runs through the interior. I'm looking for good tech single track with some stuntry. Is Morses Pond any better? Is it legal? Is Nam far out? Any other areas you can point me towards? I can't eat up the whole day so ideally a close drive/ride and able to cover 10 miles without too much repetition.

Muchas gracias!!

GG
    I figure the odds be fifty-fifty.

Nov 2007

for wellesely

check out lowell dracutt state forest great trails good twisty up and down and technical...the local NEMBA folks have done a great job in there..i think they are open allwinter

also harold parker in andover...real good stuff also...i did a ride there a few weeks ago following one of the local gurus...very good stuff....could not have found it on my own

both these places probalby about 35 min from rt 16/128 intersection..

enjoy

mtbr member
    Thank you Sir. Both sound like vialbe options.

Also, FYI, no issues with the trail review section.

GG

mtbr member
    Did you cross the road and ride the Malboro side of Callahan? Much more technical over there.

Also check out Rayburn and Singletary in Millbury, Upton SF and Whitehall Resevoir in Hopkington. The east side of Whitehall is much more technical than the other side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you are in Wellsley ,just go down rt 16 west about 15 miles till you hit 495 and ride Vietnam
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    It's been a year so the imprint has faded but if I remember correctly, I didn't notice any potential trail system across the street from where I had parked tho I had read about two sides to the park. The entrance I came into was a dirt/gravel lot with a raised entry to the park that appeared to be an aqueduct. Drop in and then began to a small climb. I think across the street may have been a golf course. God only knows.

I thought Vietnam was further out. I'll set my sights there and look for a map through NEMBA. Any preferred route?

Thanks guys. I'll file away the suggestions as my soul has been sold & sure to be spending time in the area.

GG

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G.G.
    I

I thought Vietnam was further out. I'll set my sights there and look for a map through NEMBA. Any preferred route?
    Go Here
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/ma-vietnam_map.htm

The arial Map is big , but the only thing it is missing THT , we made that trail after I finished the Map ( Yes I made the Map , and Yes I am on the Vietnam Land Management Committee )

the lower right corner of that map is rt 16 + I 495

Perfered route ? Depends on what you are looking for ?
    XC, free ride , technical , Holy Sh!t , death march , etc ,etc

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I might be available to give a tour on the 26th, Don't know yet plans are not set in stone yet.

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well I have some of the 24th and all ofthe 26th to ride, but the conditions look iffy , might have to make an Otis AFB run!!!

mtbr member
    My dates are still in the are in regards to 23rd & 24th.

"Otis AFB run!!!"???

Does Nam not drain well? I'd like to hope we continue with nice crunchy snow that can be ridden and not a sheet of ice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G.G.
    My dates are still in the are in regards to 23rd & 24th.

"Otis AFB run!!!"???

Does Nam not drain well? I'd like to hope we continue with nice crunchy snow that can be ridden and not a sheet of ice.

Otis Air force Base, down on the cape ( just on the other side of the canal ) , tends not to have snow , this last storm all they got was rain.

An Otis ride report --> http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...highlight=otis from last year after a snow storm

Nam drains well, but right now it has 18 inches of snow. we got 12 inches on Thursday and another 9 inches Yesterday , then some rain which froze solid last night , so there is a 1/4 inch layer of ice on the top of everything.

mtbr member
    So with a sick there month old in my lap and less than ideal conditions to ride, I am tied to the in-laws. Altho all nice people with good intentions, I can help but want to chew my arm off and run. I think this is the first christmas in 6 years I haven't made it out.

Next time Nam. Next time.

Merry Christmas folks.
    GG

Members who have read this thread: 0