HELP!!! Where's the good Mexican food????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

HELP!!! Where's the good Mexican food????

I've recently moved to Boston from Atlanta (originally from Texas). I can't seem to find a decent Mexican restaurant and its KILLING ME!!! Anybody got some good leads for me????

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The alamo in Milford , just west of 495 on 109.

so first you ride vietnam for a few Hours get your appitite up then go go on over.
    I'm Better known as Splat

May 2006
    I enjoy Anna's Taqueria and Boca Grande. They have a handful of locations in the region. Yelp! is an awesome resource for this…

Yelp- Mexican Food in Boston

Welcome to town!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    very authentic = Tu Y Yo in Powderhouse Square in Somerville ( no burritos, great mole, grasshopper tacos if thats your thing)

not as authentic but still really good = Mexico Lindo in Melrose on Main Street ( fish tacos kick ass), Cafe Azteca in Lawrence ( bit of a drive from Boston), El Pelon in fenway area of Boston

Tex-mex = Border Cafe ( Cambridge and Saugus), On The Border in Woburn, Anna's as suggested
    rise above

A_A
    mtbr member
    Welcome to the area, Taqueria Mexico in Waltham is pretty good...

http://www.hiddenboston.com/TaqueriaMexico.html

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ssshhhhh
    La Carretta, Nashua & Manchester NH

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Forget about it.

I just moved back to Boston after 4 years in San Diego. It just aint the same!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the info. I'm making a list of all the suggestions and will be trying them all soon.

I'm enjoying Boston so far, but the few Mexican places I've tried make me long for the good old days in Houston (I hear ya Evil Chocula).

B

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I second el pelon in fenway, it got me through 4 years of school. If you look you can find mexican food just as good as anywhere else in the country, having been to socal, norcal, and texas.

Who are the brain police?
    Boca Grande in Porter Square is great. I've always thought the trip was worth it (Its a 30-40 minute drive for me).

LINK
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell
    I second el pelon in fenway, it got me through 4 years of school. If you look you can find mexican food just as good as anywhere else in the country, having been to socal, norcal, and texas.
    I went over to El Pelon last night only to find it was closed ( temp?) because of a fire.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    somebody already said it but La Carreta in Nashua, NH is my absolute favorite!!! I'm living in VA now, but every time I head back up to New England I have to hit it up. The grande burrito is the best!

mtbr member
    La Paloma in Quincy isn't bad, but I live close to Providence and Tortilla Flats is alright, but not worth the drive from Boston. Awesome drinks and the food is decent but not spectacular.

I'd say that in New England finding good Mexican is probably the hardest ethnic food to find.

Steve

( )
    Nov 2004
    Ole Mexican Grill in Inman Sq Cambridge-- very good, but a bit pricey. They have a great sunday brunch too.

Felipe's in Harvard Square--very cheap and very good.

Haven't tried Boca Grande yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    tacos Lupita on Monroe in Lynn is great. carne asada, al pastor and chicken are all very good.

Forgiven
    Stick with Dunkin' Donuts and their Medium Regular.... Good Mexican food does not exist in Boston.... sorry to get all Simon Cowell on your thread.. but it's true.

mtbr member

Actually....I forgot

If anyone is up in Conway New Hampshire, Cafe Noche is pretty good from a food perspective.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A long time ago I used to go to a place in Harvard Square called (I think) Border Cafe. It had very good Mexican. I haven't been there in maybe ten years though. Since we have some suggestions outside of Boston (I'll second Cafe Noche' in Conway ) the Tito's in Middletown, RI and Seekonk, Ma. are both very good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    First let me say you live in NE now, you are not going to find great mexican food. Mexican population density dictates that. In CA you can find a Taqueria on every corner. Texas has Tex-Mex restaurants all over the place. Some are good and some are awful. What's truely interesting is that what you'll find awful another person raves about. Ahhhh the greatness of choice and opinion.

I've lived in both Texas (Austin) and CA (San Jose), even their twists on mexican is much different than that in Mexico.

Ana's is descent but something is lacking in the overall flavor. Its a CA style burrito but not quite right. Oh and every fish taco that I found here is fried, feels like I am eating fish & chips in a tortilla. Ahh taco, soft corn tacos with just meat, salsa, & cilantro - haven't seen them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

annas != mexican

Annas is big burritos...not real mexican.

Closest I have found to real mexican (like texas/socal mexican) is the aforementioned taqueria mexico in waltham.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XCslowpoke
    . Oh and every fish taco that I found here is fried, feels like I am eating fish & chips in a tortilla. Ahh taco, soft corn tacos with just meat, salsa, & cilantro - haven't seen them.
    Mexico Lindo in Melrose is grilled fish tacos. Quite good IMO

Its all subjectvie anyway...I have had people tell me the Mexican place at Mt Snow is decent and its honestly the worst food ( not mexican but all food) I have ever had the displeasure of trying to eat
    rise above

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther
    Mexico Lindo in Melrose is grilled fish tacos. Quite good IMO

Its all subjectvie anyway...I have had people tell me the Mexican place at Mt Snow is decent and its honestly the worst food ( not mexican but all food) I have ever had the displeasure of trying to eat
    I agree Aunty, I've only had the pleasure of eating there once and the fish tacos were great. We've got a local spot in Gloucester "Jalepenos" that is owned and run by Costa Ricans. Their fish taco's kill it! Sweet white grilled cod tacos...mmmm. They do a lot of local fish dishes.

Great now I'm hungry. Jalepenos here I come.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=dompedro3]Annas is big burritos...not real mexican.

QUOTE]

BTW burritos aren't from Mexico. Neither are fajitas. Corn beef isn't from Ireland. Chop Suey isn't from China. Awww the power of the USA and how we associate foods with a culture when they were actually created here.

Guys - thanks for the heads up on grilled fish tacos, I'll have to check out some of those places. I figured a great seafood area like NE would have good fish tacos somewhere.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=XCslowpoke]
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    Annas is big burritos...not real mexican.

QUOTE]

BTW burritos aren't from Mexico. Neither are fajitas. Corn beef isn't from Ireland. Chop Suey isn't from China. Awww the power of the USA and how we associate foods with a culture when they were actually created here.

Guys - thanks for the heads up on grilled fish tacos, I'll have to check out some of those places. I figured a great seafood area like NE would have good fish tacos somewhere.
    I too love fish tacos.... but, I'd never had one till I moved from Boston to San Diego. So, "When in Rome" start tapping into the stuff that is good in Boston; Italian, American, Vietnamese, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=Evil Chocula]
    Quote Originally Posted by XCslowpoke

I too love fish tacos.... but, I'd never had one till I moved from Boston to San Diego. So, "When in Rome" start tapping into the stuff that is good in Boston; Italian, American, Vietnamese, etc.
    I so hear you! Believe me, I am not complaining about the food in Boston. The Italian is great, the seafood is the best I've ever had, overall the place has great choice and selection. I love Boston. The riding is great, people are down to earth and tell you what they think, and I'm having a great time.

Hmmm Vietnamese, Boston? I live in SJ, CA and near my house were all kinds of Pho & sandwich shops. Great stuff. Interesting food based off of all the influences of the region (Chinese, French, American, ....). I've spent a ton of time in Asia because of work.

Jun 2007
    Southern California Native who escaped. La Carreta in Nashua is the only thing I've found even remotely approaching Mexican food (the owners are actually Mexican). I'd kill for a good southern california roachcoach/taco truck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAv8r
    Southern California Native who escaped. La Carreta in Nashua is the only thing I've found even remotely approaching Mexican food (the owners are actually Mexican). I'd kill for a good southern california roachcoach/taco truck.
    $1 tacos from a truck, risky but tasty.

360 Video Developer
    Former Bostonian here, now in Santa Cruz, California. Nothing back east compares to great California Mexican. But I'll concede this point to my hometown, no place in Santa Cruz, or anywhere within a hundred miles can make a real Italian cold cut sub like Anthony's in Stoneham. Or a Toddy's steak and cheese from Wakefield.

I dream of this meal... Anyone open to fedexing a sandwich my way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

More than one, of course!

The Answer is: Maria Bonita in Cambridge

I've lived in CA, school in CO and spent some time south of the border. I feel that Mexican food should be cheap AND delicious. The answer to the question at hand is Maria Bonita in Cambridge on Mass Ave., 2447 to be exact. It is owned and operated by people whose second language is English and know how to make some great, authentic and inexpensive food. Homemade chips and salsa and they have beer! What more could you ask for?
    FR
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAv8r
    I'd kill for a good southern california roachcoach/taco truck.
    oh yeah, now I'm missing CA!

I moved to boston from LA about 6 months ago. boca grande and anna's fill the void, but it just isn't the same! just make sure to avoid qdoba...you can get better mexican food out of a box.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

help where's the good Mexican food???

Try the Aztec on135 in Framingham.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Salsa's in Southy.

Members who have read this thread: 0