Help Save B&T's in Gloucester- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help Save Tompson Street

The Wicked Ride of the East has typically benefited HP and other DCR parks by funding the NSNEMBA Trail Care program.

This year NSNEMBA intends to direct event proceeds to Essex County Greenbelt Association's Tompson St. Gateway Project..

NSNEMBA has partnered with Greenbelt on numerous trail improvement projects over the years, at Tompson St. and other properties where we ride - Bald Hill Reservation, Willowdale Meadow, Willowdale Mill, Beverly Commons (Greenwood Ave.). They now need our help to complete the purchase of an important addition to Tompson St.

The added 6.5 acres of land will preserve the "back loop" near Concord St. and provide a dedicated trail access point and small parking area, something lacking at this point. Without the purchase, the land will contain yet another oversized house, the trail system on this end of the reservation will be interrupted, and the prospects for a proper access point diminished.

We hope that you will come out to Harold Parker on 10/30 and enjoy a great day on the trails while also supporting an important land conservation project that will improve a popular riding area.

Greenbelt staff will be on hand to explain the project and will welcome additional donations to fund the land purchase.
    Last edited by Cielo; 11-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    "To Air Is Human, To Huck Divine"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So B&Ts is still rideable now? I was under the impression that it was already defunct. Where is the current access? I drove around the area earlier this year looking for where to park and ride and didn't see anything.

mtbr member
    I like Tompson Reservation but $220k for 6.5 acres is a bit steep! That's a lot for a quarter mile of trail and a 3 car parking lot. It looks like it is mostly (or all) double track too. That money could be better used on trail building. IMBA built an amazing 30 mile pump track (Allegrippis trails) for about $100k. To save that parcel would be great for the neighbors but won't really benefit bikers so much.

See my gps track for where I parked. The next time I parked at Bruce and Tom's.

Also, Bruce and Tom's is private property that abuts Tompson Reservation. You have to have permission to ride B&T's. The majority of the trails are on Tompson.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 10-23-2011 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    This is not another Vietnam with NEMBA purchasing the property. This is being acquired by (ECG) Essex County Greenbelt through donations, grants and I believe a large portion from Gloucester with CPA money. The CPA is funded through local taxes for low income housing, town beautification and preservation of land or something like that. NEMBA and some local mountain bikers are supporting ECG to show appreciation for this organization being so biker friendly. And, to protect a great piece of property connecting to one of the best freeride spots near Boston.
    Last edited by Cielo; 11-09-2011 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cielo,

I could of not said it better and I was thinking of what to say in response to Woodguy also.

If ECG hadn't gotten involved years ago with the property, B&T would likely have never existed in the first place.

Some of the most challenging riding in New England that I have done.

I'll send a check

thanks

mtbr member
    No, I did not ride the 600' section of the rear loop that goes through the parcel. But all the pics they have on their FB page are of double track. It also looks like it could be easily rerouted. And maybe the new owner would leave that small section of the loop open to the public since it goes through the very back of their parcel. Did they inquire about buying just the portion containing the trail?

I'm not against saving it, I just think that much money could be better spent building trails. Even though NEMBA isn't paying for it all I think its a waste using the thousands raised from the Wicked ride - one of the biggest of the year - to save such a small amount of trail. JMO

mtbr member
    Sometimes you have to look at the big picture. Essex County Greenbelt conserves a huge amount of land on the N. Shore which makes this area even more desirable. Some of our best trails are on ECG land like Beverly, Willowdale, as well as, other pockets of land around. They also support mountain biking which isn't always the case with land groups. As far as trail building, we only spend money on tools and wood. We don't have a tool trailer and would rather have land to ride on then a place to keep our tools. We don't spend money to build trails either, we have a lot of volunteers and trail days that take care of that.

Last edited by Cielo; 11-09-2011 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks TACRAC for the support
    Last edited by Cielo; 11-09-2011 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    One thing to be taken into consideration is the impact the purchase of the adjacent land will have on future trail access for mountain biking in the Tompson St reservation as a whole.. Not all conservation groups support mountain biking. ECG does. One sure way to keep our foot in the door is to help ECG with the purchase of the 6.5 acre lot. Down the road when some fruitcake group like the Friends of the Fells starts trying to limit biking in the area it will be beneficial to look back and see who was responsible for helping to secure the land as conservation land in the first place. The one or two small trails that the purchase will legalize may seem small but it will do a world of good for the entire area. Tompson St and the B&Ts section specifically are really hidden jewels amongst the mass of trail systems in eastern MA. Losing or limiting access to them might not affect the majority of MA riders but for those of us that ride there regularly it would be devastating to lose them. So don't look at the purchase as only adding 6.5 acres, look it as another step in helping to secure continued mountain biking access in the area.

mtbr member
    Cielo,
    Thanks for posting this up. Me and my peeps are 100% behind this effort. We already did a fund raiser earlier in the summer and expect to do more in the near future. Keep updating this thread as things change.

B&T's is a special place. It's probably some of the most technical riding in all of MA. It has many unique rock features as well as some amazing views. I can see how these trails would not be for everyone as the terrain is very challenging, but it can be ridden by any level of biker given enough time and patience. The trail system is not on a large space so losing any of the trails out there would really hurt this system.

ECG is also pretty unique. How many times do you hear about conservation groups that are working their hardest to prevent mountain biking on trails? These guys not only support MTB with their words they also support it with their wallets and their shovels.

For all the naysayers out there. How would you like parts of your local trail purchased up and blocked off? Top it off with fellow "MTBr's" saying it's not worth saving. It's the standard NIMBY attitude that pisses me off to no end. Ride it or STFU!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

B&T's far from defunct

B&T's is far front defunct. In fact the trails are in superb condition and quite tasty!
    Cielo - are you the XC guy I see buzzing around in there with the red transition? You'd look great on a Konlly Endorphin....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bet you'd like to see him in a pair of daisy dukes too. You love those XC guys lefko.

mtbr member
    Tlefko, what a coincidence must be another guy...I'm the A/C(all country) guy buzzing around occasionally on a red Transition... Endo would be nice but a Chilicotin might be better to follow you guys off all the good stuff ??? Hope the leg is feeling better

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielo View Post
    Birdman-Yes, B&T's is rideable and NOT defunct. If you have troubling finding a parking spot, good luck finding anything worth riding there. But, to answer your question, the best place to park is on Rt 133 between the storage units and overpass. Cross the street and enter at the ECG Tompson Street sign.
    Good to know. I was following old directions trying to access it from the other side so no wonder. Will have to give it a try after all this *****ty weather clears.