Help me in my quest! (Quasi X-post in CT, RI forum)- Mtbr.com
    Big Gulps, Alright!

Help me in my quest! (Quasi X-post in CT, RI forum)

Hi all, NY rider here looking for some trail beta. I've done some forum searching but really need some up to date info.

Background (Poor college student): Last winter some cash came my way and I built up a sweet new ride - more or less the bike of my dreams. I also decided that 2010 was going to be an epic year for riding, so I set a goal of riding in 15 states this year. So I did it all, starting with the good ole Empire State. Then I hit Ray's in Ohio while we were still snowed in, raced the Michaux Mash in Pennsylvania, did a week-long riding trip in Maryland, DC, and Virginia, went downhilling at Diablo in Jersey. Managed to swing a summer job as a bike wrench in Grand Junction, CO and rode Fruita/Moab extensively. On the drive out and back I managed to stop in Missouri, Kansas and Indiana.

Long story short, November is half over and I'm only at 12. Fortunately I have a 10 day break from school for Thanksgiving and the only logical thing to do is hit the local states that I haven't been to yet. I'm thinking Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. I'm shooting for MA this Saturday - I keep hearing about Vietnam in Milford, seems like it has some sweet stuff. That being said I haven't seen a shot in the Mass trails photo thread that I didn't like. Worth noting that I have a sister in Boston that I may visit if she's not busy. I'll be driving from Oneonta (an hour west of Albany) so I'm trying to stay fairly close to the Mass Pike.

Me: I have a 6"x6" Chumba XCL - and am accustomed to/enjoy rocky, rooty technical riding, but keep the wheels to the ground for the most part. I'm also looking for somewhere that's fairly well marked or easy to follow (leaves are a biotch). Ride-wise, I'm good for 10-12 miles, bearing in mind that I'll most likely try to ride Rhode Island in the afternoon Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

- Chris

EDIT: Map of my travels... http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,46.538086&z=5
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Steam Donkey
    The Blue Groove is for you! Close to the Pike. Closer to your house. Trails will be LEAF BLOWN and ARROWED. Not very techy, but super fun flowy ST. And you will be helping a great cause too. Expecting around 300 riders! See you Sunday!
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Vietnam is a pretty sick place for riding. Lots of rocky technical bits with good size rollers, drops, skinny's, kickers, etc. I would highly recommend digging up a local guide though. It can be very difficult to navigate by yourself, even with the online map. A couple of other hotspots closer to Boston are Lynn Woods and Harold Parker. Lynn Woods is more big rock/slow techy riding while Harold Parker is a faster and flowier with some good tech thrown in. All of these places will be full of leaves and you'd need a guide to make sure you got all the good stuff in. Those a bunch of other places but these are the main public parks. Hope this helps your quest!

Members who have read this thread: 0