Help FInding Rock Drop at Russell Mill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Help FInding Rock Drop at Russell Mill

I rode there last year and came across a cool rock ledge drop off, but I can't find it for the life of me this year. I remember coming up through a rocky section and then uphill a bit with a left turn and the drop right after it. There was a go-around to the right of it that went pretty tight between a tree and some more rocks. If you look at this map, https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GyRvjU1Xc.../s1600/RM2.jpg I thought it was somewhere to the west of the fire road running N/S through the middle of the trails. I've searched most of the area I think but I might have missed some of the small trail sections. Would anyone happen to know where it is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's on the trails near the big pine. Or near the back side of the pump track. Sooo many rocks. No idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Found it...

Help FInding Rock Drop at Russell Mill-img_4576_2.jpg

But it won...

Help FInding Rock Drop at Russell Mill-img_4577_0.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jrglenni View Post
    Found it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4576_2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	1079543

But it won...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4577_0.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	1079544
    That is HILARIOUS. Sounds like you're ok though. That's good.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hehe my buddy filming thought it was pretty hilarious too I came off the lip pretty good, landed OK but my weight was too far back and I lost my balance trying to get centered over the bike. It was my first attempt ever at riding off a drop though so I'm proud of at least attempting it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Very cool, man. Good for you. I've never hit that thing myself. There are some friendlier drops (IMO, anyway) at Landlocked and the new trails at Billerica, if you're looking to build up gradually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Billerica trails? I used to live there a couple years ago and went around that small loop at the state park on the north side of 129 by the John Ryan's pub, but it was fairly blah. It would be cool if they are doing something else there or somewhere else though since it's so close by. I also work right next to LLF, keep bringing my bike to work with the intention of doing a quick lunch ride but end up not making it and just hitting Russell MIll on the way home to Chelmsford.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    BTW, if anyone is looking for it, it's in that purple trail section towards the end between P15 and K16.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just PM'd you a link to a strava ride connecting RM to the new Billerica trails.

That loop you're referring to has recently been rehabbed by NEMBA. It's now some really nice signletrack, with great climbs/descents and tons of rock features. Lots of fun. Directly across Rangeway Road from there is some more new good riding. NEMBA leads a ride Friday nights at 5 (early rollout) and 6 (late rollout) where we usually hit that stuff.

Landlocked is a great place to ride when trying to avoid traffic on rte 3. There are some nice overlooks on the rock outcroppings from which you can mock your coworkers who are stuck in the bumper-to-bumper.

Finally, just a minor point of clarification - the drop in your pics is actually on the Orange loop at RM. Very close to the intersection with Purple though - easy mistake to make.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Sweet, I'll have to go back and check it out. Always glad to have more nearby trails to ride. And thanks for the clarification on the rock location, I was trying to look at the map and replay it from memory so i wasn't 100% sure

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My buddy and I went there last night. It was a lot bigger than I expected, and the funny part is we didn't event hit Gibson ridge at all. We got close but then ended up riding past it and continuing down that fire road all the way to Treble Cove. We tooled around a bit checking out the trails that branched off of it. There's a lot of room back there, would be sweet if it could all get used! On the way back we realized where the turn off was for the Gibson Hill stuff and I looked back at your Strava map and confirmed. We'll be going back again sometime soon, maybe this weekend in the morning so we have more time to ride and come from Russell Mill like you did. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You're welcome! Glad you found that stuff. Have fun this weekend. And don't forget the stuff on the North side of Rangeway. Also very fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yeah we parked at the state forest parking lot and went around the north loop then went down. It was nice to end the ride with a few laps through the splash pad section

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    A year later, but this time the outcome was much better. F u rock drop, I win!

mtbr member
    Yeah boy! Get some!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery