Harold Parker $ to park.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Harold Parker $ to park.

Harold Parker SF now charges $ 8.00 to park at the main lot as well as Berry Pond. Or a $60.00 pass to cover all DCR state parks. Seems kinda high. Great Brook is $2 and Borderland is $5.

EAT MORE GRIME
    more reason to park 2-5 miles out and roll in as a warmup. then fire de missiles.

mtbr member
    I like to park behind the state police barracks and then fire up the grill and some beers post ride.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Saw the kiosk at Jenkins lot on Sunday. It didn't seem active yet. I paid $6 to park at Borderland yesterday (+$1 for out of state). Wonder what HP will be for out of state. $8 seems unreasonable. It is past the point where i feel like i'm making a donation and am instead feeling taken advantage of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    Saw the kiosk at Jenkins lot on Sunday. It didn't seem active yet. I paid $6 to park at Borderland yesterday (+$1 for out of state). Wonder what HP will be for out of state. $8 seems unreasonable. It is past the point where i feel like i'm making a donation and am instead feeling taken advantage of.
    Per the DCR site, it's $10 for out-of-state

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not really sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I'm certainly aware that the parks dept is underfunded and that isn't going to change. OK. I'll happily buy an annual membership, but please be sure to give annual membership holders additional voting rights on how the parks are managed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    We use the free parking over at the Easton Little League field (Mahoney Road) and enter Borderland via Bob's.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    $10 should come with shuttle runs. It is $85 for an annual pass for out of state, so I will probably just do that. I rode at HP last Friday and the park staff said that because there is swimming allowed at some spots in HP that the entire park is classified as an inland swimming destination. The parking wasn't being enforced yet.

I crashed pretty good on a (new to me) trail in the northern section of the park. Great trail. Love HP. I've ridden plenty of other technical trails but for some reason this place always beats my bikes up the most. I have now had two occasions there of sending my rear derailleur into my spokes.

mtbr member
    Pay to park being enforced yet?

mtbr member
    It costs $12 to go to a 2 hour movie. It costs $25 to park at Crane's Beach. It costs $8 for a beer. B****ing about a day of fun for a carload of people that can each pitch in on an $8 tab when the money goes to support the play area that you are free to roam and enjoy seems short sighted. Want voting rights? Call your congressman and voice your opinion.

This conversation is redonk.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    I parked at the picnic pavilion on Middleton Rd. last week. It was $4 in state, $6 out of state. Half dozen pullover spots nearby I could've parked free, but was kinda muddy and getting dark. Some creeps creeping around but seemed harmless.
    Last edited by dudeist; 11-09-2016 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    When I was in AZ last winter, all trail heads had bathroom facilities, water, maps etc. all trails are marked. All for "no charge". How do they do it, even with lower taxes? $8 to park in a dirt Jenkins lot seems ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
    It costs $12 to go to a 2 hour movie. It costs $25 to park at Crane's Beach. It costs $8 for a beer. B****ing about a day of fun for a carload of people that can each pitch in on an $8 tab when the money goes to support the play area that you are free to roam and enjoy seems short sighted. Want voting rights? Call your congressman and voice your opinion.

This conversation is redonk.
    I'm not balking at the $8, however I do ride solo most of the time, so a car full of people to pitch in won't be happening. If the parking fee is for the recreational swimming area, why make all hikers/bikers/dog walkers pay the same?

Regardless I did park in the Jenkins lot yesterday and the parking ticket machine was not turned on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    When I was in AZ last winter, all trail heads had bathroom facilities, water, maps etc. all trails are marked. All for "no charge". How do they do it, even with lower taxes? $8 to park in a dirt Jenkins lot seems ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think we're paying for the pensions of politicians, T workers and Mass Pike toll booth takers that retire in their 50's. Billy Bulger gets an annual pension of $196,000. Seriously, think about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I think we're paying for the pensions of politicians, T workers and Mass Pike toll booth takers that retire in their 50's. Billy Bulger gets an annual pension of $196,000. Seriously, think about that.
    Don't get me started. Once you see how money is spent you can't help but get upset. Want to know why college is so expensive? Go to the MA Attorney General's website and take a look at the Form 990/PC for any school you choose. You can see where their money is spent, what they pay whom, etc.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    A lot of speculation and misinformation on this topic. Jenkins lot, as of a week ago, the parking pass machine was not working, so park away if it won't sell you a $5/6 pass. Not sure whether it's intentionally turned off or just not working. Berry Pond is closed. That area was $8/10. The Picnic Pavilion lot on Middleton Rd. was operational last week, $5/6.

Currently these are the only pay areas. No pay and display at Forest Headquarters or anyplace on HP Rd. coming in from 125. No argument about how screwed up the state is.

Remember hunting season is underway at HP and the usual precautions are advised. All of HP in Andover is no hunting, that's the whole west side and most of the Berry Pond area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^ And no hunting on Sundays in MA. I think the parking $$ is over for the season.