Hardtail Riders around Boston- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

Hardtail Riders around Boston

Hey folks -
    I've been looking through the pictures & videos of lynn woods/veitnam, and I'm not sure if I've seen a single hardtail shot. Now, I am not a man of great means, thus an immediate switch to full squish is out of the question, probably for a year.

Am I gonna be able to cope? I've seen a lot of drops/ledges in the Lynn videos on youtube; I'm comfortable dropping 2-3 feet, and most of what I've seen doesnt look tooooooo far out of the question (maybe with some creative pathfinding).

So, am I gonna suffer, am I gonna be fine, am I gonna have fun one way or the other?

Also, looking for empty carseats. I'm completely new to the area and ready to get my ride on, but no car seems to limit possibilities. I can ride to Lynn from my house (~10 miles) but many other things are out of the question.

Thanks!

Edit -
    if it makes a difference, I grew up racing around Maine, and have spent the last 4 years riding Vermont... Neither has offered me much to be scared of on my hardtail, but ya know, its always good to check

mtbr member
    I personally do not ride a hardtail ( ..,yet!! ), but just about half of the crew I ride with does. You will be just fine.

Case in point....

mtbr member
    Frank, Tina, Simon of www.dieselbikes.com ride Goat Bike hardtails all over Lynn. Sinister Bikes named one of their hardtails after the Lynn Woods "Ridge" trail. Tons of pics on both sites.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Frank of Diesel Bikes

The storkula

IF_Rider

I know I have more , but too lazy to look
    I'm Better known as Splat

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Hey- I just sold my Chumba XCL full suspension, and started riding a hardtail 29er. So far so good. I'm not really into to dropping to flat, or massive 8' drops, but for aggressive trail riding and moderate 2-4' drops it rocks.

For general trail riding, I'd actually say a hardtail is the way to go out here, compared to Cali, where you have sustained climping that gives you a chance to change seatpost heights and adjust fork travel (vs. the steep up and downs I've seen out here).

Then again, I've only been back in town 6 months and riding for 2, so what do I know?
    (in other words, relax hardcorp-FS-Mass-guys!)

Jan 2008
    Thanks for the words everybody - Looks like I'll be in good company. Greatly looking forward to my first Wed night ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by btf95
    Frank, Tina, Simon of www.dieselbikes.com ride Goat Bike hardtails all over Lynn. Sinister Bikes named one of their hardtails after the Lynn Woods "Ridge" trail. Tons of pics on both sites.
    Speaking of those bikes-I just ordered a build kit for my new ridge-it's heartening to see the Lynn Woods faithful getting it done on Hard tails (and storkman on the Rigid!).

Quick question for burley Hardtail riders of MA (the ranks of which I'm joining) what are you rolling for tires and do you use Stans or Ust or anything like that? I'm looking to use a set of Schwalbe Big Betty's with Stans-but it looks like the diesel bike crew et al have the inside line on the right tire set up for new englands most challenging trails--so what do you all mate with the hard tails?? (and the rigid, too

Liam

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i ride a XC hardtail and have ridden vietnam a few times. no problems riding the stuff at nam except i dont jump off things to often. as far as tires go i am running a weirwolf 2.3 in the front and a panaracer fire xc in the rear. i see the weirworlfs around so they are kind of popular

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'm running 29x2.35 Panaracer Rampages front and rear, converted to Stan's. The Stan's conversion is huge IMO, since it allows you run low pressure without flatting. Feels like you have an inch or two of squish.

Members who have read this thread: 0