great brook- Mtbr.com

Thread: great brook

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

great brook

Been their a couple of times but road the same trail. A little to tough for the wife. What would be a good beginner trail their. I rode acorn, she does not mind dirt, just the rocks and roots would bother her.

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly, all the singletrack there has rocks and roots - albeit with less frequency and challenges than other places to ride in MA. The trails that seem to have the most challenging rocks and roots are Stone Row, Indian Hill, Fern Loop, Acorn, Beaver Loop, and Keyes Loop. So, try to avoid those sections.

If i were you, I would stick to the wider trails when riding with my wife (like Pine Point), allowing your wife to get comfortable controlling her bike, and learning to float above, forward, and behind the saddle (and not just sit on her saddle) in order to shift her weight/center of gravity while standing on the pedals. Also practice "unweighting" the front wheel. This will all help her to eventually tackle getting over roots/rocks.

mtbr member
    By the way, my wife used to ride GBF a lot when she first started riding about 5 years ago. It worked well for her, and she's a pretty good rider now (although she's becoming more of a runner... "sigh").

mtbr member
    If she's a beginner, you may want to park at the end of the minuteman in Bedford and check out the Bay Circuit railtrails that go to either Concord or out to Billerica. On the way to Billerica, there is some short sections of single track in the York conservation area for a tiny little bit of technical single track as well as around Fawn Lake which has some more difficult things.
    Great Brook has roots and rocks and there's not much you can do to avoid that.