GPX track of Mega Fells Loop?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GPX track of Mega Fells Loop?

I've been trying to find a good GPX track of a long ride (20+ miles) of legal and fun riding. When I go in there I basically just do laps of the orange loop because it seems that whenever I try to explore I end up on illegal trails and have to tip toe around until I get back on legal riding.

So, does anyone have any tracks/files on Strava or some other downloadable source? I live a couple of miles from there and like to pedal in and looking for a good continuous ride without much overlap. Would be happy to tag along for a tour as well.

banned
    Sep 2008
    if someone else is capable of exploring and connecting stuff, then so should you be.

what if there was no such thing as gps, gpx, strava............

modern day mtb'ers would be lost

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The dcr has a great printed map, like on paper that shows all the legal bike routes. The bike loop , the new reservoir ( orange) loop and most of the double track is what is available to bikes. Ever pedal horn pond? Nearby with a good sized hill.

mtbr member

Fells Riding

Here's a link to a site that has some info & maps on the Fells that might help; Middlesex Fells Reservation : FellsBiker Trail Maps. I would ride the Skyline (White) trail. These are the best trails in the place IMO. You can do a decent size loop around the reservoirs on the White trails. To get 20 miles though you'll probably have to jump on the other parcels (by Wrights Pond & across Woodland Rd) and ride trails there.

banned
    Feb 2012
    ^ I suggest you take your post down before the Fells Nazis use it as an argument for limiting our access to multiuse trails. White trail is off limits.

banned
    Sep 2008
    the white trail is pretty damN awesome i'll hafta admit. did a 20+ mile loop in there and that was a highlight for sure.

rog

mtbr member
    Thanks for informing me about these paper map things. I've heard of them and they sound intriguing. However, many people post stuff to Strava and I happen to be able to easily take that track and place it on a map right on my phone which is attached to my handlebar. Then I just follow an automatically moving line that follow my own position on a map and I have a nice continuous loop without having to stop and look at a map. If someone happens to have one of these tracks, they can share and then with about 2 minutes worth of work, I can have a perfect loop to go ride.
    I do appreciate the sarcastic comments though as they keep the thread bumped and gets it better exposure just in case there's a nice cyclist around who has a loop they'd like to share.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ^ Nice. I wish there was an upvote or like button on comments here.

Sorry, Dan; I've never ridden the Fells, otherwise I'd try to help you out. The best i can do is point you here:

OpenStreetMap

It looks like it has a ton of trails mapped out in the Fells. Not quite what you're looking for but maybe you can get it on your phone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    ^ I suggest you take your post down before the Fells Nazis use it as an argument for limiting our access to multiuse trails. White trail is off limits.
    Re-posted for the reading impaired.

Some people just don't seem to get it I guess.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the useful responses and I do wish that guy would remove his post regarding riding the skyline/white trail. Perhaps I can/should delete this thread just for that reason (if I can)?

Am familiar with open cycle and have gotten close to some good loops in the Fells using that map in there, but nothing like I've put together for linking Willowdale with Georgetown, or loops in Duxbury, Otis, Wompy, Western Greenway to Prospect Hill, etc... Just trying to put together a continuous training loop.

Thanks again. I'll let the thread hang out for a few days in case anything turns up. Then I'll see if I can delete for political reasons.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Riding SKYLINE !!!!! This weekend if anyone wants to force lame hikers off the ridges and whatnot.

rog

mtbr member
    I replied to your post in an honest effort to help you out. There was no sarcasm in my post so I'm not sure why you're responce is so dickish. Many people have the inteligence to view/study maps and then use that knpwledge to put together a ride without looking at said maps at every intersection. Apparently, you're not one of those people. As for the rest of my post, the white trail happens to be the best trail in the Fells IMO. You can choose to ride or not ride it with respect to the "Fells Politics".

banned
    Sep 2008
    well said bighit.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Riding SKYLINE !!!!! This weekend if anyone wants to force lame hikers off the ridges and whatnot.

rog
    Make sure to post pics! The GB NEMBA folks love that, helps 'em out a bunch!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    well said bighit.

rog
    Rog, why be a toolbar? . The guy asks for input on an interweb forum and your response is 'go do it yourself, waah.'? You sound like a granny who had to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to get to school as a kid, strava is a fantastic tool the kids use nowadays to avoid wasting precious daylight. Build a bridge and get over yourself, youll have more fun. Do you know how to use a sextant by any chance?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    Thanks for informing me about these paper map things. I've heard of them and they sound intriguing. However, many people post stuff to Strava and I happen to be able to easily take that track and place it on a map right on my phone which is attached to my handlebar. Then I just follow an automatically moving line that follow my own position on a map and I have a nice continuous loop without having to stop and look at a map. If someone happens to have one of these tracks, they can share and then with about 2 minutes worth of work, I can have a perfect loop to go ride.
    I do appreciate the sarcastic comments though as they keep the thread bumped and gets it better exposure just in case there's a nice cyclist around who has a loop they'd like to share.
    i am a big fan of using strava to follow rides and love riding new places using my garmin on my handlebars. I get to ride all the best trails almost like I was getting a tour by a local.

here is how I get most of my maps because trying to get someone to post one is almost impossible. go to the fells area on strava in there segment explore feature. try to find one of the most popular segments and just click on the guys ride at the top. usually those people are the regulars anyways. when you click on this persons ride you can now download that gpx file and put it on your phone or garmin device. feel free to click on a couple peoples rides and get one that is the distance you want. has worked like a charm for me many times riding areas that I have never been to. just to clarify when you click on the persons ride you will be able to see his whole ride that he did not just the little piece of segment.

mtbr member
    Thanks Adumb - I've done that and am usually really efficient at that method with other parks, but I'm guessing that perhaps there just really isn't 20-25 good miles in there without doubling over a bunch. Oh well. The orange loop and some of the other legal trail in there is still fun.

mtbr member
    The first rule of the white trail is that you don't talk about the white trail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    The first rule of the white trail is that you don't talk about the white trail...
    This post tells me you ride the White Trail but you're not man enough to admit it on a mtb forum. That's pathetic.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Rog, why be a toolbar? . The guy asks for input on an interweb forum and your response is 'go do it yourself, waah.'? You sound like a granny who had to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to get to school as a kid, strava is a fantastic tool the kids use nowadays to avoid wasting precious daylight. Build a bridge and get over yourself, youll have more fun. Do you know how to use a sextant by any chance?
    hey d00shbag, strava has let the cat outta the bag on many a trail degrading them much more quickly than if stava had never been invented. also, strava has turned the trails into speed contests which has caused an increasing number of collisions and injuries.

many trails are on private land where a few riders have permission to ride them. strava has been blowing places like that up and landowners aren't happy about it.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

many trails are on private land where a few riders have permission to ride them. strava has been blowing places like that up and landowners aren't happy about it.
    So that makes Strava users bad, but it's cool for you to ride trails that are explicitly off limits at a place as contentious as the Fells? You're pretty special.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    So that makes Strava users bad, but it's cool for you to ride trails that are explicitly off limits at a place as contentious as the Fells? You're pretty special.
    You have no idea........

And, I don't ride the fells. Just once a long time ago.

And yes it's cool for me to ride anywhere I want, legal or not.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

When you pull the map off someone's strava route how do you actually do it so you can follow along? Do you need to be a premium user?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

And yes it's cool for me to ride anywhere I want, legal or not.

rog
    And I'm the one with no idea. Okay...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

banned
    Sep 2008
    And I'm the one with no idea. Okay...
    My point is that strava will expose MANY more riders to illegal or grey area stuff that they would have never found or even began to search out had it not been for strava. And those riders won't find out who land owners are and search them out to ask permission. Their just gonna download whatever they find and go ride.

rog

mtbr member
    The use of Strava to access private land and riding the White trail in the Fells are entirely two different issues. The latter is a public park open to recreation. It's public tax dollars that fund most of if not all of the Park. All users should have fair and equal access to public parks. We do not have the same rights to access private land. Just because you can find a route on Strava doesn't mean you have the right to access it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menachem View Post
    When you pull the map off someone's strava route how do you actually do it so you can follow along? Do you need to be a premium user?
    I think you have to be a premium user to be able to download people's GPX tracks. After I download those I import them into MotionX GPS and that's my preferred tracking/mapping program.

mtbr member
    The negative people in this thread are kind of silly. One is mad that people are using Strava to find/access/ruin illegal trails on private land in a thread where I'm asking about legal trails and a lengthy and continuous way to put them together. Make your own thread if you want go vent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    The use of Strava to access private land and riding the White trail in the Fells are entirely two different issues. The latter is a public park open to recreation. It's public tax dollars that fund most of if not all of the Park. All users should have fair and equal access to public parks. We do not have the same rights to access private land. Just because you can find a route on Strava doesn't mean you have the right to access it.
    I'm not disagreeing at all on the Strava points (my local loop is a 'no Strava/no GPS' zone, for precisely the reasons rog mentions).

Far as riding any and everywhere we want on every stitch of all public lands, nice thought, but not very realistic. Not saying I've never poached a trail, even the trail in question, bitd before I knew better and had the wonderful experience of being the guy that had to answer for 'illegal' riding when I was trying to expand 'legal' riding options in an area. You may or may not have any idea how much headache a couple sets of tracks on an off limits trail can cause for other local riders/builders. And there's probably few places around as sensitive to this type of **** as the Fells. If I were to go ride off-limits stuff on purpose somewhere where I knew it would very potentially be screwing a bunch of other riders, I personally would feel like a major dick. I don't see much difference between your train of thought and whatever goes through the mind of some ATV rider when he takes it upon himself to trash a pumptrack or rut up miles of singletrack. Hey, public land right?

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I don't see much difference between your train of thought and whatever goes through the mind of some ATV rider when he takes it upon himself to trash a pumptrack or rut up miles of singletrack. Hey, public land right?
    Fortunately, there's a huge difference. In you scenario above, the ATV rider is damaging/destroyng the trails with his/her actions. My riding of the White trail causes no more damage to the trail than walking it. If you believe the damage caused by MT Bikes is the equivalent of ATV's or dirt-bikes, then organizations like the FOF are absolutely right in keeping MTBer's off the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    Fortunately, there's a huge difference. In you scenario above, the ATV rider is damaging/destroyng the trails with his/her actions. My riding of the White trail causes no more damage to the trail than walking it. If you believe the damage caused by MT Bikes is the equivalent of ATV's or dirt-bikes, then organizations like the FOF are absolutely right in keeping MTBer's off the trails.
    Of course I agree with the end results being wildly different (though the FoF morons obviously don't), but the mindset is the same - you feel you don't have to follow the rules cuz it's 'public land'. ATV guys will argue the same, and say it's just frigging dirt and rocks, so what's the big deal? There's always some way people try to justify **** like that. Either way, you're knowingly giving FoF types ammo to use against your fellow local riders/builders. That should be enough reason to ride elsewhere. It always has been for me, at least once I had a decent clue how the whole trail access BS worked.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Fells......meh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, dirtdan, let's steer this in a better direction. So sort of near the fells. Start at beaver brook, to beaver brook north to the water tower under 128, towards the mm bikeway. Another thought. Start at Land locked forest, go through paint mine & through the cemetery to get on the MM bike path. At the end of the MM bike path go 100yds left and cut in behind the guardrail. This is the reformatory branch. It goes all the way to Concord Center. Take monument st up the hill and cut into Punkatasket hill on the left. From there connect to 2 rod road, connant land and davis corridor. Then connect to great brook and russel mill. I don't have no strava, garmin stuff, I'm old and use my noggin and that paper stuff. However, i"m sure someone can pipe in.
    Or, pedal Harold Parker and connect over to Ward hill, 30 plus miles of kick a$$ single track. We have our NEMBA wicked ride there on 10/26, we usually arrow a 22 or so mile loop. I'll be the one slinging chili and such. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Of course I agree with the end results being wildly different (though the FoF morons obviously don't), but the mindset is the same - you feel you don't have to follow the rules cuz it's 'public land'. ATV guys will argue the same, and say it's just frigging dirt and rocks, so what's the big deal? There's always some way people try to justify **** like that. Either way, you're knowingly giving FoF types ammo to use against your fellow local riders/builders. That should be enough reason to ride elsewhere. It always has been for me, at least once I had a decent clue how the whole trail access BS worked.
    I disagree with this logic. Riding elsewhere would be giving in and accepting the trail scraps that MTBer's have been given in the Fells. That is exactly what orginizations like the FOF want. They want us, a user group, to disappear. NEMBA is working through bureaucracy to obtain access. Although I appreciate their efforts, it's not the only way. Some times when you disagree with a situation, it's better to openly defy it than to just lay down and accept it. The more people that ride the trails (all the trails) in the Fells the better IMO. This accomplishes a few things;

• It shows the "Powers That Be" our numbers. The more the better. The DCR is not going to make a change if they feel that MTBer's make up a small user percentage.
    • Riding "off limit" trails is a sure-fire way to show we're unhappy with the trails we do have access to. It also leaves little question to what trails we want access to. Again, the DCR is probably not going to change anything if they feel there's no conflict.
    • When trails are riden with little to no visable damage, it also deflates one of the FOF's biggest arguements for limiting trail access.

Bureaucracy and defiance are two different ways to achieve change. It doesn't have to be one or the other. IMO, they can be used in conjunction with each other. Sometimes it's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can appreciate all those points.

We'll have to take up this conversation some other time/place (preferably over beers at a trailhead somewhere.)

d
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^Agreed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Ok, dirtdan, let's steer this in a better direction. So sort of near the fells. Start at beaver brook, to beaver brook north to the water tower under 128, towards the mm bikeway. Another thought. Start at Land locked forest, go through paint mine & through the cemetery to get on the MM bike path. At the end of the MM bike path go 100yds left and cut in behind the guardrail. This is the reformatory branch. It goes all the way to Concord Center. Take monument st up the hill and cut into Punkatasket hill on the left. From there connect to 2 rod road, connant land and davis corridor. Then connect to great brook and russel mill. I don't have no strava, garmin stuff, I'm old and use my noggin and that paper stuff. However, i"m sure someone can pipe in.
    Or, pedal Harold Parker and connect over to Ward hill, 30 plus miles of kick a$$ single track. We have our NEMBA wicked ride there on 10/26, we usually arrow a 22 or so mile loop. I'll be the one slinging chili and such. Cheers.
    Thanks - I actually do know most, if not all of that stuff. Can link up Estabrook with Great Brook with Russell Mill with Landlocked with Whipple with Horn Pond, etc... I do the Wicked Ride every year (although the last 2 I was working the Wheelworks tent) and I've enjoyed your chili before! I plan to enjoy it again this year.
    Thanks!

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    My last ride at the fells was 10 miles of legal trails. This included exploring south of South Border Rd (the Winchester / Medford side) and the regular bike loop, with the new NEMBA trails close to I93. I didn't include the orange loop, which would definitely add some distance. I think if you combined this ride with the orange loop you would get closer to 20 miles with very little repetition. I live really close to the Fells so I will try and get a good 20 mile loop before the season ends. Map and downloadable kml and gpx available here: Middlesex Fells Reservation: Startbiking
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

mtbr member

I live right next to the Fells and know it very well if you want a fun tour.