Good places on the Cape- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good places on the Cape

hi - my wife and I are headed to Wellfleet for a couple of days around Labor Day.

She is a longtime road rider, who just yesterday got her first mountain bike. a GT Sensor 2.0 2011. A lighter (sort of) trail bike...(certainly lighter than my Enduro).

Is there anything flow-y, non technical, etc on the outer cape (or mid cape) for her that would be fun for us to check out?

thanks for any ideas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wellfleet riding

There is an area (called the gauntlet) bordered by the highway, the ocean, and Le Count Hollow and Cahoon Hollow roads in Wellfleet. It can be accessed from the back of Paine's campground or other places with access to the power cut, (Duck Pond Rd.) or just past the Great Pond parking lot on Cahoon Hollow road-look for a pullout with split fencing on the RH side.

The riding is on flowy, sometimes sandy non technical trails that follows the contours of a number of hillocks as you make your way East to the outer Cape beaches. Easy to get turned around, hard to get lost for too long, although the area closest to White Crest hasn't been ridden a lot lately and is pretty faint and overgrown in some areas.

Also, fire roads leading north from the bottom of the Great Pond parking lot lead to quite a network of double track, fire road and some single track leading over to (and beyond in some cases) Long Pond road.

There is always Nickerson State Park, Willow St. and an area in Eastham called the back 40 that I'm not familiar with as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks Angelo, really appreciate it. Been hitting Wellfleet every summer for a number of years, and never knew about that riding area...

mtbr member
    Nickersom Trails are very tough to connect. It rides better with a guide. I live in dennis and my favorite plan to ride is Trail of Tears, although it is a distance from Wellfleet. I'd guess a little less than an hour. But, the trails flow with very little fire trails.
    Here's the info
    Trail of Tears
    Here's a map
    http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/con...ides/WBARN.PDF
    Best riding on the CAPE, IN MY OPINION.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anything fairly close to Harwitch Port?? I'll be there for a few days at the end of the month.. Bringing a novice, so something really easy would be a plus..

Thanks!!

JBH
    mtbr member
    The Punkhorns trails are on the Harwich/Brewster line. Pretty sandy, but rideable. Not terribly difficult. Don't have a map, but might find one on the trail reviews here, or if you google it. If it were me, I'd drive the extra 10 minutes and hit Nickerson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

wellefleet trails

rode network , sweet trails lots of miles did ten miles went by a few, didnt have time well worth it if you are nearby could use some trimming lots of bushes for tics to hide
    not as close as nickerson but i had ablast saw a few tracks in sand .going back for sure! rode my 29 sic