Going to a wedding on the cape, hoping to ride Otis...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Going to a wedding on the cape, hoping to ride Otis...

I am from NY and will be there Saturday for a wedding. Hoping to ride It is on Sunday. Never been there before. My hotel is in Eastham, MA. Is that far from Otis?. Taking my rigid Voodoo Soukri 29er. What can I expect?.
    Last edited by edouble; 11-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Tool
    Eastham is pretty far out on the Cape...I"m guessing it'll be a 45-60 minute drive to Otis.

You can expect a place that has no large hills (just old dunes, actually) to be deceptively tough over time. None of the hills are big at all, but the trails are continuously going up or down - not much constant elevation riding in there. The trails are very buff and twisty, and there is very little technical riding. Being from 2+ hours north of the Cape, this is one of the places I go to ride dirt in the winter when we're blanketed in white stuff up here.

In case you don't have your heart set on Otis, Trail of Tears is a bit closer to Eastham and offers similar riding with perhaps some higher elevations. NEMBA built a deck out there atop the tallest hill and it has a great view - awesome lunch spot.

Have fun!

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Get someone to show you Nickerson SP.

mtbr member
    Rode Trail of Tears today. even hit the platform. The trails are in excellent condition.
    Park at exit 5 for TOT. Not to bad a ride from eastham.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a link to a map of the place: MAP It is extremely slow loading. Think the town conservation commission server is powered by hamster wheel or something.

Lots of fun riding to be had in ToT. Here's a description from Nemba (New Eng. Mtn Bike Assn.)

Parking area: Right off exit 5 If you use the power lines running through the center of the area as a reference, you can have a great ride going up one side of them and back on the other. There is a shooting range on the north side, but it's well makred on both the map and trail. You'll also probably hear it.

The first parking area can be somewhat sketchy. There's another if you follow rt 149 south the small rotary by the airport. Turn right on Race Lane and park at the small lot at the intersection of Race Lane and Farmersville Rd.

Have fun. Hardtail should be fine. I'll hopefully be riding there myself Thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Check out the "explore" tab on the Garmin Connect site for gps tracks.