Girly Tires VS Man Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Girly Tires VS Man Tires

Let's start a list cuz it's fun to assign gender to tires and get folks fired up over silly stuff. I'll start:

Man tires: Maxxis Advantage, WTB Stouts, Panaracer Rampages

Girly tires: anything that says SWorks on the sidewall

What you got?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Man - Conti Trail King, Der Kaiser and Rain or Mud King.

Girly - Just about anything Michelin.

mtbr member
    Girly: Kenda Small Block, WTB Exiwolf or Nanoraptor

Man Tires: Kenda Nevagal and Excavator, Maxxis Advantage, Ardent, Minion
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Tool
    Let's not forget the transgendered catagory:

I can barely get my mouth around it.

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Do girly tires smell differently than manly tires?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero View Post
    Do girly tires smell differently than manly tires?
    Yes!

mtbr member
    Rampages and ANYTHING Kenda belong in the f*cking awful category, which you didn't list.

Just lettin' everyone know, since you guys aren't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I like the confusing tires that are manly but have Girly names; Big Betty, Rubber Queen (that name is actually disturbing), Muddy Mary.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post

Girly tires: anything that says SWorks on the sidewall
    Is this statement aimed at someone specific?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    Is this statement aimed at someone specific?

Nope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Categorically speaking, we must have a limited number of categories. Your propsed category is by definition a categorical imperative.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    Rampages and ANYTHING Kenda belong in the f*cking awful category, which you didn't list.

Just lettin' everyone know, since you guys aren't.
    So you decided that the most popular tire ever, the Nevegal, sucks? How so? IMO and most others, they perform as well as a tire could be expected. Granted they start flatting out after 20 rides but the first 15 or so are sweet.

This guy might know what kind of tires are the most manly
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/765370039.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner View Post
    So you decided that the most popular tire ever, the Nevegal, sucks? How so? IMO and most others, they perform as well as a tire could be expected. Granted they start flatting out after 20 rides but the first 15 or so are sweet.

This guy might know what kind of tires are the most manly
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/765370039.html
    Smelly is on record for stating the Nevegal should be illegal if I remember correctly. Sure they're good for a handful of rides, but then the 'walks of shame' start as the sidewalls go to He!! in a Handbasket.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    So you decided that the most popular tire ever, the Nevegal, sucks? How so?
    Ok, I'll address your questions in order.

1. McDonald's makes the most popular hamburger ever. Huffy sells more bikes than Specialized, Trek, and Giant combined. Justin Beiber is popular, but I'll bet you ain't got him on your iPod.
    Popularity in no way correlates with the quality of a product, nor does quality cause popularity. But if you don't believe me, go ride a Huffy with Nevegals, blast some Justin B, and stop at McD's on the way home, then tell me how well popularity is working for you.

2. I imagine that Hell is a place where only Kenda tires are available. Mine flats started on ride 1. THE ONLY time I've ever flatted three times on a ride was with....a Nevegal. The ONLY tire I've ever used that has has 7 consecutive knobs shear off in a hard corner was....a Nevegal. And that was after 3 had torn off earlier in the ride. I got more flats during 2 months of riding Nevegals than in the previous ten years of riding. And get this - I'm so dumb that I figured the first pair I got was bad, so I bought another set. Cuz, you know, they're popular.

IMO and most others, they perform as well as a tire could be expected. Granted they start flatting out after 20 rides but the first 15 or so are sweet.
    You and most other people think it's acceptable for a tire to only last 20 rides?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    McDonalds doesn't really make Hamburgers, and I'm pretty sure the equivalent no name Taiwanese rubber hoop that is standard issue on a Huffy can only be considered a tire by it's resemblance to something that is supposed to resist the tendency to slide out from under you when you try to make a turn. So when I say popular, I don't mean with the masses. I mean with people who give a crap and know the difference, which is why the tire ratings in all the magazines don't include Huffy spec tires, and the bike shootouts don't compare Huffys to Specialized. I don't know who to compare Justin Beiber to so I'll let you handle that shootout. You're probably qualified with your lol'ing and such. Granted, Nevegals will flat on you if you don't have the right tube, pressure, or you ride like a mine sweeper but they stick better than any tire I've ever ridden, and I've ridden my share of other similar tires. About 75% of my group rides Nevegals cause they work the best. So after 2 rides a week for 10 or 12 weeks I can take the rear and move it to the front, buy another for $30 online and not worry about my tires being a problem.
    And the knob ripping off thing only happened for a year or so and they sorted it out.

Tool
    Ok, I'll address your questions in order.

1. McDonald's makes the most popular hamburger ever. Huffy sells more bikes than Specialized, Trek, and Giant combined. Justin Beiber is popular, but I'll bet you ain't got him on your iPod.
    Popularity in no way correlates with the quality of a product, nor does quality cause popularity. But if you don't believe me, go ride a Huffy with Nevegals, blast some Justin B, and stop at McD's on the way home, then tell me how well popularity is working for you.

2. I imagine that Hell is a place where only Kenda tires are available. Mine flats started on ride 1. THE ONLY time I've ever flatted three times on a ride was with....a Nevegal. The ONLY tire I've ever used that has has 7 consecutive knobs shear off in a hard corner was....a Nevegal. And that was after 3 had torn off earlier in the ride. I got more flats during 2 months of riding Nevegals than in the previous ten years of riding. And get this - I'm so dumb that I figured the first pair I got was bad, so I bought another set. Cuz, you know, they're popular.

You and most other people think it's acceptable for a tire to only last 20 rides?
    #1 is a classic strawman argument. Nevegals are not popular at all in the entire cycling community; they are only popular among serious enthusiasts. People don't put $50 tires on $100 bikes.

As for longevity, I am getting 250+ miles out of mine with no issues, replacing only due to normal, even treadwear (I tend to replace tires long before most riders, and these have held up as well as any I've used). Granted, I am only running a Nevegal up front, but it does everything I need it to reliably. I'm sure there are plenty of other tires that can do the same at comparable retail cost, so this is in no way an attempt to say they're better than other tires, but due to their popularity, which you seem to take issue with, they can often be found for less than full retail, so in my mind, popularity is not at all a bad thing here.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    any tire bigger than a 2.2 is a crutch,therefore girly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i run nevegals and like them. i flipped the rear around and it gives incredible climbing traction. really scoops up the trail. i get 3 months of use out of the rear and that is riding lynn. i also had the problem of flatting after a while and it was a bummer.

also, i think michelin makes a good tire. beefy sidewall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Way off topic here kids. We're not discussing the merits of Nevegals. Please continue with your additions to the girly vs man tire list.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Man Tires: 2.5 anything with wire bead & DH sidewalls
    Girly: everything else

mtbr member
    Cool story, bro. You did a rad job of validating my point re: how popularity =/= quality.

Anyway, I ain't gonna tell you what to run, but if you ever want tires that grip really well AND last more than a couple weeks, they're available for purchase just about anywhere.

mtbr member
    "Manly" and "girly" tires? Really? *Shakes head*

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    "Manly" and "girly" tires? Really? *Shakes head*
    Right? I've been baffled by this since the start.

Class Clown
    Any tires I slap on are manly tires.

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    Manly tire: the Nokian Gazzalodi 3.0 if you can find them. I don't think they make them anymore. I have been away for a few years.

Girly tire: Anything narrower than a 2.5
    "I push bike up and ride it down"

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Anything bigger than 2.2 is getting into dirt bike territory,motors are for wimps,therefore girly

mtbr member
    I haven't been sleeping well because there was never any resolution in this thread. Thus, I'm reviving it and adding a twist:

It's manly to ride girly tires on manly trails, and girly to ride manly tires on girly trails.

Discuss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    Anything bigger than 2.2 is getting into dirt bike territory,motors are for wimps,therefore girly

anyone riding a 2.2 or less is girly because they cant handle anymore rotational weight!

mtbr member
    Last edited by smelly; 08-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Not for long. You're sure to wipe out taking out the man-bits in the process.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    But is it manly to ride girly tires on manly trails?

This is the issue keeping me awake at night.
    Wouldn't this mean it would be really manly to ride road tires off road? I can't wrap my brain around that, so I have to give you a big fat NO. NO, it is not manly to ride girly tires anywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Aside from arguing the merits of Nevegals, I wasn't really into trying to figure out what the difference between girly and manly tires was. Kind of sounded like a thread for busted spoke when I first read it anyway. I can certainly see someone on a set of 2.35 minions getting their ass handed to them by someone riding a set of Green Michelin 1.95's. What do you say then? If the right tool for the job is a set of WildGrippers then maybe they're manly in their own way. So I was thinking, are there really any tires that can be considered girly if the guy riding them can push them to their limit and get everything he needs out of them? Like a set of 1" road tires ripping down a hill going 65mph or a set of cross tires carrying some cyborg-like rider through a muddy crap course. Sometimes you even see that guy you laugh at a little when he pulls up to you in the woods, with no helmet, riding something that you would've thrown in the trash a long time ago. Then you go to run him down and realize he just kicked your ass on inferior equipment and he's long gone. So I figured I'd turn my back on this one and wait for another thread to grab my attention.
    Then it came to me. 29er tires are girly.
    They're like the ladies tee at the golf course
    Or a pair of Skecher's shape ups
    You guys want to do a shot? Bartender, 3 WooWoo's and a Grape Crush please
    Only thing I've ever heard from 29er riders is how smooth the trail becomes, how much easier it is.
    Easy is Girly
    Let the s**t storm begin

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No need for a poo storm. I ride 29ers and have succeeded in wasting your time and energy, the entire point of this silly thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah I know you do. The thread seemed to be stalling out and the forum has been pretty boring lately. I was really just trying to pass the time / waste some time. Hospital rooms can be very boring. Angrybirds is getting old. The food is making me ill. The wifi only let's me into sfw sites. I think I'll check the weather in Laos.
    29er's are still a little girly

meow meow
    i only buy gender neutral tires.