Getting to Know: Mt. Toby- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Getting to Know: Mt. Toby

I got in three good rides this weekend. But only one was of the longer variety (and that was up at Wendell). For the other two, I had to opt for something shorter that I could access easily without my van.

So, on sunday afternoon, I took the two hour tour of local haunt Mt Toby in Sunderland, MA.

What is MT. Toby? Well, it won't show up in the litany of Western, Mass destination worthy rides. In truth, whenever I describe it to folks who don't ride there, it doesn't sound very appealing: Mostly double track, jeep trails, and one long, actual fire road. There is some singletrack, and some of it pretty wonderful (the Cranberry Pond Trail and some of the Bull-hill Robert Frost Trail sections are some of the best single track in the region)-but not long continuous stretches of it, and much of it hard to find. Oh, and it is the hilliest place to ride in the Pioneer valley, at 1281 feet, it's the highest point, and you climb every bit of it on a Toby ride.

However, Mt. Toby is much greater than the sum of its parts. I think it's a wonderful ride, and a great after work, 2 hour 'go-to' ride. It's worth checking out-whether you want the more well traveled north side of the Sugar Farm trail, Toby Rd, 1000ft vertical descent on the Telephone Pole Trail or the more wild and untamed strenuous trail riding of the southern Bull Hill side (where, exploring the Robert Frost is the main, but not only, feature).

There is a great Mt. Toby Map sold in local EMS stores, and probably elsewhere, published by Newell Printing, inc out of Amherst (and created by Christopher Ryan) that is pretty comprehensive and good guide to Mt. Toby.

Mt. Toby won't rival Batchelor St/ Earl's, or Wendell or Hawley when you are looking for a 4 hour epic-but if you've over looked this big hill and are looking for something a little different, check it out, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Liam

mtbr member
    Good skiing on that mountain when conditions permit, too!

It's also worth mentioning that there is a free map of the area produced by UMass.

I could use a new riding spot. Liam, wanna give me a tour of your new haunt?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You know, I kind of wanted to see someone a little more balsier than I tackle the whole telephone Pole trail-I'd like to see what you make of it. Oh, this ain't a new haunt-I've been riding here for years.

You know, on the stuff that Umass owns they are very open to trail expansion...Harold and I started getting some work done a few years ago-but alas, we were distracted by other projects and never got back on top of it. I'll see you tomorrow night at the DCR propaganda beat down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't forget the descent from the fire tower down the trail which spits you out on Gunn Mountain Road.

Used to ride there a lot, but now I'm in Greenfield there are other trails I'm exploring. Mt Toby is a great hill climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Right up my alley. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!