Gardner area riding?- Mtbr.com
    brand newb
    May 2007

Gardner area riding?

Hey guys and gals. I'll be in Gardner/Westminster for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow evening. I'm a relative newb to MTBing, but thought I may try to see if there are any rentals/trails in Garnder? I won't have a car, so that limits my chance to drive to get to any trails, etc. I've read that Leominster State Forest is nice, but I'm not sure how I could get there.

So, does anyone have any good news for me? lol Thanks for any info/advice. Take care.

Not pretty, not lazy.
    Dec 2005
    I don't get to Gardner/Westminister area anymore but you could check for rentals and trails at the local bike shop (I forget it's name but it is right in the downtown Gardner area and the name might be O"Neils). I have ridden some trails on the Hubbardston side of Gardner and there is some singletrack but mostly doubletrack at High Ridge where the prison is. You can access some singletrack from the Westminster end of High Ridge down at the RR bridge with the graffiti on it. Sorry I could not be more help but it's been awhile but now may go and check out High Ridge soon. Leominster State forest is good but I haven't been there for 4 or 5 yrs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you can check Oneils but not sure if he has something to lend out to you. if you need to pedal to the trail head from gardner, you can head over to pearly brook/gardner state forest. its is across from the back of the golf course. there is an old railroad bed that has some decent single track off it. not really marked and can be easy to get lost.

go to www.bustedspoke.com and post up. there are a good group of guys from westminster that might be able to hook you up with a loaner and maybe give you someone to ride with.

brand newb
    May 2007
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Unfortunately I'm kinda locked down while I'm here unless I rent a car. Damned cheap corporate and treating us like this when they send us on training. I arrived this evening and we're staying at the Colonial Hotel. I'll have to look at a map and see where I am in relation to the places you mention. Thanks for the info.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if you don't mind pedalling, you could ride to pearly brook in about 30-45 minutes. there is also a short trail system behind the community college that wouldn't take you quite as long to get to.

person
    How many more days are you planning to be in the Gardner area, I'm a local and If I can muster the time I'd be more than happy to show you around. Leominster State Forest is only about a 30min ride via back roads. The Singletrack off the R&R bed (near the golf course) isn't very easy to find but it makes for a decent 30-45 min loop.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wonder if anyone has talked to the powers that be about cutting more singletrack out off the railroad beds.

person
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnycactus
    wonder if anyone has talked to the powers that be about cutting more singletrack out off the railroad beds.
    I sent an email to the Dept of development?... not sure it, was a while ago. They directed me to contact the mayor directly. I had more time back then which I unfortunately do not have now, perhaps later in the summer. I'd love to get NEMBA involved, but the main thing I'm concerned about is the amount of ATV/Quad and Dirt bike Traffic the area gets. The land isn't really regulated by any authority (no rangers) so I'd hate to put a lot of time, effort, and money into a network of trials which wouldn't even last due to destruction by motorized traffic. So unless the state or city decides to really make the land into more of an official state park with set restrictions on trail usage as well as an authoritative body to enforce the rules I'll just keep riding at Leominster State and use the loop around the lake for a nice evening quickie.

Another good network going in is the new Whitman River Network in Westminster just past the graffiti bridge, once they get that linked to the mid-state that will make for a true epic in out own backyards. Unfortunately I keep missing their trail build days because of work
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Members who have read this thread: 0