Frequent travel to Boston...looking for trails and bike rentals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Frequent travel to Boston...looking for trails and bike rentals

So, I'm in Boston at least once a month for 3-4 days, sometimes more like 5-6 times each quarter. I'm from Utah, where I do a lot of Road and Mountain biking (ride the FatBike on the snow all winter).

Traveling with a bike isn't realistic, but I'd like to find a show that would be willing to rent me a bike and get some recommendations on trails. I typically stay in Boston, either NorthEnd, SouthEnd or Cambridge. I have stayed out in Dedham and Waltham...even down in Cape Cod once. So long as I have fairly easy access to the city, I'd be willing to stay anywhere and I have that flexibility.

How far away are the good trails, and does anyone know of a bike shop that would rent me a FatBike in the winter and a decent XC bike in the summer? I need a size large, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance. DH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I would try to stay just north of the city, along the Rt 93 area. This gives you easy access to trails and getting into the city, barring traffic.
    As far as bike shops, JRA Cycles in Medford is one of the best for mountain bikes. Not sure if they rent. I'd also post this on the Greater Boston NEMBA FB page. Go to NEMBA.org for a list of trails.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gbnemba

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You may be able to get a repeat demo deal or maybe find a way to store a bike here? There's plenty of great trails around here but recommendations depend on what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys. I ride a lot of cross country and all mountain type stuff. But I'm up for anything. I hit all the stuff in Moab, Park City, etc...

mtbr member
    North/north west of the city:
    Fells
    Russell Mill
    Willowdale
    Lynn Woods
    Harold Parker

Sorry, not sure about rentals.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Landry's rents mountain bikes. Winter is fat bikes only, but the rest of the year, regular mountain bikes. https://www.rentabikenow.com/store/?loc=landrys Urban AdvenTours is another rental place.

JRA has demos that you can take out for a day, not sure if they would allow repeat demos. If you had enough free time head to Highland bike park in New Hampshire, they have rentals.

Truckboy
    The Cannondale Sports store in Cambridge has a medium Fart CAAD 1 that it demos for $75 a day.

mtbr member
    Fart CAAD?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Other bigger place to ride north is B&T / Thomson Reservation. Let me know if you like/need a guide for lynn woods or fells. Lynn definitely is difficult to navigate solo as a first timer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

How long will it take me to drive to these places from North Boston or Cambridge area?

Obviously traffic is a huge wild card so maybe a better question is how many miles away these places are.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Fells about 10 minutes and rest 20-50. Depends on time of day and your exact location. I live 6 miles north of downtown Boston and fells is less than 5 minutes; lynn less than 20; HP is less than 30 and B&T is less than 40. Russel Mills and Vietnam are less than 50. Highland is less than 80 minutes. If you can stay close to 93 and more into Cambridge than Boston.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Fart CAAD?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I heard those bikes stink.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So it looks like I'm going to have some free time on the 15th & 16th. I'm going to call around today and figure out if any of these shops are open on Sunday or not, or how early I can get a bike on Monday.

Thanks again guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A good bit of snow cover is on the ground right now, but it's supposed to be warm and raining over the next few days. I'd say a fat bike is a safe bet if you can line one up.

I'd also suggest you call JRA and explain your situation. They usually maintain a demo fleet and sell them off at the end of the year. If you're truly going to be here that often and mostly riding during the week, you might be able to cut a deal of some sort. 16x a year at ~$100 a rental is getting close to what a shop pays for a decent number of bikes. You might be able to convince them to sell you a bike at/below their cost, they'll keep it in stock as a demo when you're not around, and you own it at the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, I'll have to chat with them. I get out there between 4 and 6 times each quarter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Seems like you are going to spend some time here & riding is important to you - why not just buy another bike & keep in storage?

Maybe bring / store your current bike here & upgrade the primary bike at home?

The riding here can be pretty 'game on' so setting up with all your gear (helmet, shoes, pack, glove, clothing, etc) might make sense...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I figure I'll pack it. I've got nice bikes here and no storage there. I've successfully done this in other cities...but have spent the last couple years in Chicago where riding is insane so I've just not ridden while traveling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    [QUOTE=Cyclin Dan;12992332]I figure I'll pack it. I've got nice bikes here and no storage there. I've successfully done this in other cities...but have spent the last couple years in Chicago where riding is insane so I've just not ridden while traveling.

I don't know Chicago but riding here is pretty good too (insane if you know where to look). I've done the travel with bike thing for vacations & will continue to so, but if I was visiting a regular location, I'd be looking at monthly storage units for my shit. Actually, I go to AZ 1-2x / year and have given this some serious consideration...

Nothing worse than worrying about your ride/gear making the plane trip...

Either way - enjoy finding / riding the trails here...