Freetown 50 setups, geared vs SS?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Freetown 50 setups, geared vs SS?

I was planning on racing the Freetown 50 next weekend and rode some of the course yesterday for the first time. That singletrack is technical, more so than any other xc race I've done so far. What are people's setups for this race? Tires, suspension etc?

I was going to just do the 11 mile course but also thought the SS 25 mile could also be fun given the course is mostly flat. Any idea what gear ratio would be good?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've ridden all of the previous Freetown courses (the course changes a little every year) on a 29er hard tail with an 80mm fork. Last year I raced the 11 on that bike and got a podium, but it was very rough. I'm now on a 29er with 120mm front and rear and it is much, much more comfortable, and faster through much of the course.

I recommend high volume tires, I've had good luck with various WTB tires. This year has been extremely dry, which has made some of the trails very very dry and dusty.

If you're feeling up to the 25 mile course I'd recommend that over the 11, but you might want to try the southern trails before you commit to single speed. Almost all of the climbing on the race loop happens in a few miles, strong riders can do it but I can't. This years course is going to be the most challenging rendition yet, I'll be doing the 25, hope to see you there.

dmo
    mtbr member
    That makes sense. I could either ride a 100mm fs xc bike for the 11mi but I have a stache 29+ singlespeed that I could race. I'm just not sure I'm up for that long of a race. What's the turnout like? Are there lots of people for all the groups? I don't want to race against myself if im the only one signed up for a given category

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can't speak for this years attendance but you can check out the results from last year to see how many people showed up for each category.
    http://www.efta.com/PDF/results/2015...%20results.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I had a super hard time. Dewpoint was 69 during the race. I have ridden 25 miles many times and did the Landmine. I think my difficult time was due to being dehydrated as I am 3 lbs lighter today than yesterday.

Results:

http://barttiming.com/summer/results16/ftown16-1.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I had a super hard time. Dewpoint was 69 during the race. I have ridden 25 miles many times and did the Landmine. I think my difficult time was due to being dehydrated as I am 3 lbs lighter today than yesterday.

Results:

http://barttiming.com/summer/results16/ftown16-1.pdf
    I didn't make 2 laps either. The heat and humidity absolutely killed me. Owner out for my second lap, but came back on the fire road after the first section. I've ridden that loop easily 20 times this year, since it was rumored to be the course, and even though I knew it well and was hydrated and prepped, I couldn't put together 2 laps that day under race conditions.
    If I give it another shot, it's gonna be day of, and weather dependent. My ginger behind can't handle that weather.