Fells Update: DCR Public Meeting 9/20/10- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Fells Update: DCR Public Meeting 9/20/10

DCR will be presenting the Draft Trails Plan for the Fells on Monday, September 20th at the McGlynn School in Medford from 6:30-8:00pm.

It is *critical* that the MTB community have a strong presence at this meeting as it is certain the anti-MTB community will.

Get all the details here: http://www.gbnemba.org/action-info/fells-update-9-7-2010

Put it on your calendar and tell your friends!

Class Clown
    I cannot understand the anti-biker crowd. To me the worst thing about the Fells is the dog crap in the middle of the trails. Let me ask you this. If I was a reporter doing a story on the Fells, a place that supplies drinking water, what would people care about more? Mountain bikers riding through the trails or dogs and horses that poop all over the place and even swim in the water (I haven't seen any horses doing this...yet).

I am always courteous to people when riding by them. I usually watch their dog if they have one to make sure to be on the other side of the trail. I slow down if need be for the out of shape or older trail walkers, or for the people that walk side by side and just give you a blank stare and don't move out of the way. I also try to avoid doing any damage by not riding when the trails are soaked.

In essence I ride the Fells all the time being so close to my house, am usually alone, and just want to get a good ride in, in peace.

But understand this, I shall ride those trails, whatever the cost may be. For if the Fells and her mountain bikers last 1000 years, men shall still say, THIS was their finest hour.

Class Clown
    Oh and about "harming" the trails. Half the trails are big enough for cars and trucks to drive on which they do on numerous occasions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bumpity bump.

How'd this turn out?

A Man Of The Truth
    DCR presented a draft plan that included lots of new access for bikers. For the next 60 days, they are seeking public comment on their plan. So everyone's job is to read the DCR Draft Plan and send in your comments. This task isn't as easy as it sounds, because the plan is very long and boring and detailed. I made a quick outline of all the good and bad ideas in the plan (according to me), that hopefully will help people get their thoughts together.

So the meeting went well, but people who bike in the Fells now need to stay on the DCR and keep pushing for more trail equality. Here are some helpful links to get you started:

DCR Draft Plan (Direct Link)
    DCR Draft Plan (Web Page with Links)

Outline of Draft Plan (by FellsBiker)
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

Class Clown
    Thanks for that fellsbiker I'm going to send them a letter once I've looked over the plan in more detail.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    Thanks for that fellsbiker I'm going to send them a letter once I've looked over the plan in more detail.
    Awesome! Everyone else, don't be shy!
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

Members who have read this thread: 0