The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has noticed the increasing number of dog walkers with off leash dogs.

It used to be i'd see 1 in 5 dog walkers in the Fells had their dogs off leash, and I'm not talking at Sheepfold or near it, now it seems every single dog walker i pass has their dog offleash, and quite often out the dog is out control, away from the owner.

Have the rules changed in the Fells that now allow dogs free rein? I have to say having a dog running/barking alongside my bike or worse running towards your front tire is really quite offputting and quite dangerous and ruining what is some great MTB trails

I'm one of live and let live, and love the idea of shared trails, I have done my share of hiking in the Fells too over the years but there's a limit.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch
    2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think that the off-leash rules have changed. If there's an uptick in off-leash dogs, I'm guessing that those rules are just not being enforced as often as they were.

I bike the fells with an off-leash dog, but my dog couldn't be bothered with most humans when he's running. and i do this in a distant section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You're not on the white/hiking trail, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There is a newer rule allowing an off leash area. The field at sheep fold I think? But that is the only place. OP, where else do you ride? I too sort of live near there but usually pedal elsewhere.

mtbr member
    MassDCR and MassDEP are way down on people. Simply no one to enforce this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan View Post
    You're not on the white/hiking trail, right?
    Not the hiking trail no, but dogs arent allowed off leash on the hiking trail either I would presume.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    There is a newer rule allowing an off leash area. The field at sheep fold I think? But that is the only place. OP, where else do you ride? I too sort of live near there but usually pedal elsewhere.
    Yes, Sheepfold does allow off leash and i have no problem with that, and I try to stay clear of that area of the Fells other than when i take the Reservoir Trail. I live in Medford so ride almost exclusively the Fells, but have been looking to expand my scene to hopefully grow my skills. Thinking of doing Harold Parker and Lynn Woods thanks to suggestions in other threads. Yourself?
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Riding with your dog off-leash is awesome. Glad to hear it's catching on at the rulesy Fells

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Riding with your dog off-leash is awesome. Glad to hear it's catching on at the rulesy Fells
    it's only awesome for you

for other riders in the woods, who are not part of your clan, it can be extremely unsafe and annoying for everyone around you. we don' know if your dog is an idiot or not, and most are.

just the facts...
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    Not the hiking trail no, but dogs arent allowed off leash on the hiking trail either I would presume.

Yes, Sheepfold does allow off leash and i have no problem with that, and I try to stay clear of that area of the Fells other than when i take the Reservoir Trail. I live in Medford so ride almost exclusively the Fells, but have been looking to expand my scene to hopefully grow my skills. Thinking of doing Harold Parker and Lynn Woods thanks to suggestions in other threads. Yourself?
    Right, they're only allowed off leash at the Sheepfold dog park. That said, i see a lot more people and dogs on the white hiking trail and most people out with dogs have them off leash. Myself included when hiking around, but only on the white trail.

It's annoying to see dogs off leash, but theyre their owners responsibility so i don't change up my line/speed much but of course avoid hitting them. For the people on mixed use trails i always slow down and say Hi. If i'm accidentally on the white trail on the bike i say my bad I'm looking for the mtb trail.

I live on the Melrose/Wakefield line so the Fells is my week day home base, too. Landlocked Forest in Burlington is a fun place thats close and isn't much if any harder than the Fells if you're looking to mix it up. And you should, the Fells gets old.

HP and Vietnam are both really fun, but farther away so I only go there on weekends.

I've actually never ridden at Lynn Woods, probably too gnarly for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    it's only awesome for you

for other users in the woods, who are not part of your biking clan, it can be extremely unsafe and annoying for everyone around you. we don' know if you're an idiot or not, and most mountain bikers are.

just the facts...
    Hey, 127.0.0.1, I fixed your post.

I guess we should all feel lucky you choose to bike and not hike.
    Try to be part of the solution, not the problem. Learn to share.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ugg, joking? Not funny. Thought you were a West MA guy? Fells has so many issues and conflicts. Don't add fuel to the fire, or be a dick. Follow the rules, especially there. Most dogs are nice, some owners aren't. My daughter has been bitten, I have been nipped ( by good dogs so they say ) And I'm a dog owner my self. Not everyone likes wet, barking dogs blocking the trail, yes I get the share thing. The Fells has SOOO many users and stuff going, best behavior by all really helps. I think me biting the owner of the next aggressive dog might be an answer. Uggg.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    Hey, 127.0.0.1, I fixed your post.

I guess we should all feel lucky you choose to bike and not hike.
    Try to be part of the solution, not the problem. Learn to share.
    learn to share ? jimmies rustled.

I have ridden by loser dog owners, after stopping, and the loser dog owner
    said yeah you're fine, go ahead...so I roll out and [insert stupid incident here]

-dog chases and bites (3 times in 15 years)

-dog chases and drops owners in the dust, while I keep going and have to eventually stop or the dog will never stop chasing me

-dog gets in front if me, owner yells, dog stops in front of me, I have crash to avoid it

the list is endless and

YES PAL I STOPPED ALREADY AND GOT PERMISSION TO ROLL BY

if that was your dog,
    you are a careless, self-centered, indulgent PRICK with a LOOSE DOG on a multi user path.

notice how rustled my jimmies are, ? there are enough of us who have been bothered by dogs that legislation was created years ago to make leash laws

LOOSE DOG is off leash and not under --->voice control<---.

I know voice control and smart dogs.
    there are MANY HUNDREDS of owners who think
    the have voice control but don't
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    These days dogs have more rights than people so any comment that doesn't tow the line is doomed to run afowl of dog lovers, but I'm in the same camp as this guy ^^ and Leeboh.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The issue is really the Fells and bad dog owners. I love dogs, almost all of them. So many off leash when pedaling. I stop, greet owner and said dog, sniff, hello, pat, whatever. Ask dogs name, greet, even jump up on my muddy leg, all good. The growling, barking dog circling my bike and an owner who doesn't have control or care? That's the issue.

mtbr member
    When I'm out for a ride I don't have the time or interest in being an ambassador between the mtbk world and dog world. Good on you Leeboh, but 'aint no buddy got time for dat!

98% of the time I come across a dog/owner combo (HP) the dog is loose, the owner doesn't have terd bags, and the dog is wandering across the main line of travel and I have to slow down or stop to get around to avoid the risk of hitting the dog or getting chased/bitten by it. Basically these are owned doggers who do not have control and don't care. Don't get me started on the dog piles everywhere at the HP and Fells trail entrances.

rack admirer
    Owned Doggers.
    Perfect.
    Where can I complain about full sht bags strewn about?
    I think that we are all on the same side of this issue.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Owned Doggers.
    Perfect.
    Where can I complain about full sht bags strewn about?
    I think that we are all on the same side of this issue.
    Yeah, WTF is that about? Either be a lazy ass and don't clean up after your dog or do clean up. But why pick up the turd just to throw it back down along with a piece of plastic bag litter that will never disappear?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    127.0.0.1 said it better than I could have. keep your dogs on a leash. everyone thinks there dog is the most well behaved thing in the world, so far they all suck and either run up to sniff me and get in my way or chase me for a quarter mile until I have to stop and make sure the stupid dog can actually get back to its owner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nah, guys, riding with your dog off leash is awesome as is hiking with them off leash. Happiness is a good four-legged trail companion.

I never ride the Fells though, (never ever, in fact). But that's because I get the sense it's a really rulesy place, and people complain about other user groups a lot, and post up 'concerns' with exclamation pointed headers in online forums. But maybe I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Nah, guys, riding with your dog off leash is awesome as is hiking with them off leash. Happiness is a good four-legged trail companion.

I never ride the Fells though, (never ever, in fact). But that's because I get the sense it's a really rulesy place, and people complain about other user groups a lot, and post up 'concerns' with exclamation pointed headers in online forums. But maybe I'm wrong.
    hey, what's up with that dig? ha

I'm glad to see there are a majority on my side about this off leash dog issue being a problem and one of just bad manners IMHO.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

Who are the brain police?
    I don't ride in the Fells anymore. Got tired of scraping dog sh|t off my tires or having it flung off the back tire and across my back.

Lots of abandoned plastic bags of dogsh|t too.

Not all dog owners are inconsiderate, but enough are to really ruin it for others.

The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

You're part of the problem, dude. Fells is the biggest park right outside of Boston, yes all sorts of issues and rules. So many users there too. I only pedal there few times a year. Remember that not everyone thinks your dog is awesome, or that everybody like dogs. Good dog? Under voice control? Owner aware of what is going on? It's a start.
    Last edited by leeboh; 08-31-2017 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You're part of the problem, dude. Fells is the biggest park right outside of Boston, yes all sorts of issues and rules. So many users there too. I only pedal there few times a year. Remember that not everyone thinks you dog is awesome, or that everybody like dogs. Good dog? Under voice control? Owner aware of what is going on? It's a start.
    Woof! Sorry, that was my dog reminding it is time to go for a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Woof? I thought that was your dog barking out of the way as I buzzed his tail. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

mtbr member
    Hey what's up with the ad that showing up to the left of this thread? What kind of dog needs a full snow suit? Is that guy in the top right some kind of dominatrix or something? I guess that would work for The Fells.

The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Woof? I thought that was your dog barking out of the way as I buzzed his tail. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
    Reading this I get the sense there are too many crabs (not dogs) in the Fells. Dogs are the solution.

mtbr member
    You must be the one person who picks up their dog's poop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Reading this I get the sense there are too many crabs (not dogs) in the Fells. Dogs are the solution.
    You never ride there, great solution.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

xx

Sure there may be some issues with dogs, cruisers, day-walkers ('hikers') with attitude, naked runners (at night) & misc other sh!it associated with an urban 'park' but it really is an MTB gem. BTW - we (Boston are peeps) are pretty fortunate in that we have a shit ton of really good riding around us. No need to get hung up with the Fells "issues" - if you can't deal with - it move along to another spot. I ride there on a semi-regular basis and don't really have the issues you guys seem to have. BTW - really big shout out to NEMBA as there are a bunch of trails they have made legal and/or buffed up - really nice job & thank you!

mtbr member
    I rode quite a few Wednesday nights with NEMBA and we never had a problem with anyone we encountered or dogs.

mtbr member
    Last night 3 of us were riding HP up at the State Police end and decided to warm up with a spin along the lake across the street. I'm in the lead and came into a clearing and out of nowhere an unleashed adolescent (but still big) German Shepherd comes bounding towards me, teeth out, ears back and barking loudly. I stopped, froze and avoided eye contact. His owners were about 30' behind him telling me not to worry. I glanced over and there was plenty to worry about; the dog was clearly frightened and defensive of it's owners. The husband ran up and collared the dog while the wife stood with her hands over her lips. The dog never stopped barking. "Don't worry, " the husband says, "he's still in training." I looked back and my buddies were standing nervously a few bike lengths behind me. I had a few comments, but in a tactful way.

HP, especially this area has a decent amount of traffic with bikes, fishing, and family walks. Having a nervous dog off leash is downright irresponsible.

Sounds like the woods need more dogs? Sure...

Class Clown
    I remember one really cool dog i came across a couple years ago who would run along with his owner who was biking. Takes a disciplined dog for that.

mtbr member
    One a few years ago. In all of the intervening time, none of the others were memorable as well behaved. The preponderance of evidence seems to suggest people should (in general) leave their dogs at home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    When I used to ride a Wompatuck I would get chased by off leash dogs constantly. I don't mind dogs but it's annoying after 100 ft when a dog is still chasing me and the owner is yelling for me to stop.

Be a decent human and put your damn dog on leash; the rule exists for a good reason.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I used to have an Australian Shepard that i rode with. She would stay right behind me and I trained her with a "pull over" command with which she'd stop and sit off to the side of the trail to let people by as needed. Good ol' dog.

That was in NC though on trails less busy than the ones around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    When I used to ride a Wompatuck I would get chased by off leash dogs constantly. I don't mind dogs but it's annoying after 100 ft when a dog is still chasing me and the owner is yelling for me to stop.

Be a decent human and put your damn dog on leash; the rule exists for a good reason.
    Its even more enjoyable the "professional" dog walkers at Wompy with 5-6 dogs, trying to catch them all.

Remember one time climbing up Prospect and towards the top was a young 20s woman with 6 (large) dogs. I called out behind her I was coming, she pulls off to the side and I pass. Then one dog got loose and starts chasing me, I hammer down Pine Run (fast switchbacks). Look behind me after the jumps. There's now 4 dogs chasing me, I hear this girl screaming all the dog names. Get to the bottom and think do I wait for these dogs to attack me or keep going. I ended up waiting for the first dog (who was just happy to chase me) and tied him up at a tree and kept going. Had to think this woman was pissed at me, but once I found out they made $50 per dog per walk ($6K month)...not a bad problem to have

mtbr member
    I wouldn't feel too bad for the dog walker. The trails are shared. Everyone is supposed to be considerate. Bringing more dogs (or kids) than you can control in any reasonably anticipated situation you will encounter in the woods, whether that is 1 or 5-6 dogs is not considerate of the other users.

I live across from a public park and can't count the number of people bringing their dogs to shit and piss all over the place. No matter if you pick up the turd there is still a shit stain. ALL afternoon there are joggers, big and little kids, soccer games, playground time, and baseball games on that same grass. How is this at all ok? I guess that's a whole other can of worms but sort of related to this ranty thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I remember one really cool dog i came across a couple years ago who would run along with his owner who was biking. Takes a disciplined dog for that.
    Seems natural for a lot of dogs I know; they just seem to 'get it'.
    Glad where I live there's lots of trails and not many people so we've got dogs on our rides all the time.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It didn't take my dog long to learn to run with me on a bike. Even taught him to run behind the bike pretty easily.

He's pretty well behaved on the trail. If he chases another bike, I call and he stops. He never shits on the trial, always goes off on the side. Worst thing he does is jump on people because he's friendly and thinks everyone wants him to lick their face.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Trained dogs are incredible, people who think their dog is trained because it will sit for a biscuit in the kitchen are the real problem....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Seems natural for a lot of dogs I know; they just seem to 'get it'.
    Glad where I live there's lots of trails and not many people so we've got dogs on our rides all the time.
    Yep

mtbr member
    I am with SuberbMan on this one. A million times over, this is why I am happy to never ever ever ride at the Fells. I regularly ride with my trail dog in far metro west and central MA and never have issues. I am also mindful to never do so at forests that have stated leash laws or heavy people traffic.
    That said, if on such a trail another rider such as leeboh buzzed my dog's tail to be "cute", we would have a very real problem that would need immediate resolution. Suggesting hurting an animal, any animal, puts you pretty far down the food chain there, sport.
    Typical suburban aggro BS that is best avoided by ditching the population density as much as possible.
    Lessons:
    Ride at the Fells? Leave the dog at home.
    Don't buzz or suggest buzzing another rider's trail dog, wherever you are.
    Get out of the city more if you can, esp. you Leeboh.
    Relax.
    Last edited by Wolfcandy; 10-02-2017 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcandy View Post
    I am with SuberbMan on this one. A million times over, this is why I am happy to never ever ever ride at the Fells. I regularly ride with my trail dog in far metro west and central MA and never have issues. I am also mindful to never do so at forests that have stated leash laws or heavy people traffic.
    That said, if on such a trail another rider such as leeboh buzzed my dog's tail to be "cute", we would have a very real problem that would need immediate resolution. Suggesting hurting an animal, any animal, puts you pretty far down the food chain there, sport.
    Typical suburban aggro BS that is best avoided by ditching the population density as much as possible.
    Lessons:
    Ride at the Fells? Leave the dog at home.
    Don't buzz or suggest buzzing another rider's trail dog, wherever you are.
    Get out of the city more if you can, esp. you Leeboh.
    Relax.
    Uggg, really? Dog owner here. Really like dogs as well. I am out out of the city. I have been bitten as well as my daughter, 15 stitches on the later, he lost in court as well as his house insurance. 99 % of the dogs are great, as well as their owner, its the 1% bad owners. Leash laws are for bad owners. I have no issues with good dogs, leashed or not. One whistle , one command and the dogs are out out of the way. No issues there. Wagging dog, not an issue. Idiot owners are, no voice control, no training. They need to be on a leash. Dog is barking, circling, ears back? No bueno. What would you do in a very threatening situation? I'll save the pepper spray for the owners, problem solved. Not everyone like dogs, likes being charged and threatened by large, barking aggressive dogs, do you? Yes peds, hikers, dog walkers have the right of way, I almost always stop, wave them by or such. Like I said, it's only the bad 1% of owners. I just can't relax when being threatened.

mtbr member
    Really.
    Statements like "Dog owner here" & "Really like dogs as well" - between suggesting running over a fellow biker's dog and stating you cannot keep your cool around a triggered dog. (FYI - that makes it worse). "No issues with good dogs"... but would totally house one if it wasn't. Uggggg is right.
    I am definitely not suggesting that there aren't situations where someone may have to protect themselves. And I also am fully aware of the number of lousy dog owners out there or folks who swear up and down their dogs are "trained" when that is hardly the case. I also agree that it is folly to bring a trail dog to the Fells. For all the obvious reasons.
    Where I take issue is your comment to SuperbMan implying you would "buzz" the tail of his dog. It smacks of the kind of suburban commuter-slave aggression that fuels so many of the use conflicts from all sides, and dude, don't make a suggestion that you would run over another rider's dog, ok? 'Cause that is legitimately awful and sub-human, not to mention cowardly.
    Did he suggest his dog would be threatening you? Nope.
    So yeah. Really.
    Relax.
    Now, can we please get back to making fun of e-bikes, shitting on trail sanitization, or other legitimately unifying issues, as opposed to going after fellow mountain bikers who ride with their well trained dogs in sensible places?
    Cool.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What is suburban commuter-slave aggression? Great, now you're driving your car through the Fells?( Could it be done?) Difference between running over a dog and buzzing the tail, which I have never done. No issues with well trained dogs, at all. And yes, I will protect myself if needed. And now dogs are riding e bikes? The end is near, and this thread should be ended as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I buzz dogs regularly on rides, including my own. I usually yell "RUBBIN'S RACIN'!" while I'm at it.
    Totally works with dogs that haven't yet learned to yield to us human pack members.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I buzz dogs regularly on rides, including my own. I usually yell "RUBBIN'S RACIN'!" while I'm at it.
    Totally works with dogs that haven't yet learned to yield to us human pack members.

MODERATOR ????

I just had a kitten.

mtbr member
    Crying for the moderator? What a bunch of snowflakes! Can't we just walk away from the thread if it crosses your personal boundaries instead of calling for mommy to step in and separate us?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Actually he's shitting over the fact that somehow I'm actually a mod here now.

Trust me, it's a completely reasonable reaction.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    <clutches pearls>
    The moderator said a bad word!!!!!
    <faints>

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
    Crying for the moderator? What a bunch of snowflakes! Can't we just walk away from the thread if it crosses your personal boundaries instead of calling for mommy to step in and separate us?
    umm, yeah OK
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    You see? These are the Massholes I know and love! I used to have to go over to the inbred VT/NH/ME forum to get some good heated arguments. I love it! And if no one has done so yet, I'm claiming " suburban commuter-slave aggression" as the name of my next band.

mtbr member
    Holy moly, I've created a monster in this thread, not checked it in many weeks, been too busy riding my bike

One thing I want to share that I found that has personally helped me is to smile, just say 'hi' and smile at people you meet/pass on the trail, even if they may be someone who may be doing something that would initially annoy you. Trust me, it will make you feel better and if they see you smiling and happy out riding they'll be more likely to get out of your way or their dog. Seriously this is happened to me more often than not!

Happy Trails!
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Should have known to stay off the Middlesex Fells during the holiday weekend, lots of hikers and off leash dog walkers. Most well behaved but feel i have to warn about the mad dog that chased me for quarter of a mile along the trail and if you are the owner of such dog please realize that your dog is not under your control when it tries to attack a rider such as myself, biting at my feet or barking constantly at myself and those other trail users around you.

I fear for anyone with a young family, out on their bikes or just enjoying the scenery, several hikers commented at me as they thought the dog was mine as it ran at anything that moved, but mostly at my right leg. Genuinely scary!

I hope to see him under better control on the trails next time. Riders stay safe out there.

The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-mad1.jpg
    The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-mad2.jpg
    The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-mad3.jpg
    The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-mad4.jpg
    The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-mad5.jpg
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    Should have known to stay off the Middlesex Fells during the holiday weekend, lots of hikers and off leash dog walkers. Most well behaved but feel i have to warn about the mad dog that chased me for quarter of a mile along the trail and if you are the owner of such dog please realize that your dog is not under your control when it tries to attack a rider such as myself, biting at my feet or barking constantly at myself and those other trail users around you.

I fear for anyone with a young family, out on their bikes or just enjoying the scenery, several hikers commented at me as they thought the dog was mine as it ran at anything that moved, but mostly at my right leg. Genuinely scary!

I hope to see him under better control on the trails next time. Riders stay safe out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mad1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	1169365

Name:	mad2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	1169366

Name:	mad3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	1169367

Name:	mad4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	1169368

Name:	mad5.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	1169369
    If I was a dog and I looked like that I'd be angry too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sometimes a swift kick can work wonders!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    If I was a dog and I looked like that I'd be angry too.
    Ha, I thought the same thing, wasn't dark out or even that cold. Not sure what the owner was thinking there for sure.

Sometimes a swift kick can work wonders!
    I would have feared for my ankles, he doesnt look like the most vicious in these but i didnt want to test the idiom that 'his bark is worse than your bite'. He sure didn't respond well to being cursed at that's for sure! As a last resort, while trying to keep my cool, I decided to re-use reverse psychology in the end and called him a 'good boy', that seemed to eventually work or he just got tried of chasing me!
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I saw state police patrolling on horseback over the weekend in the feels. Fells is great but not on weekends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    I saw state police patrolling on horseback over the weekend in the feels. Fells is great but not on weekends.
    I think i shredded through several piles of the 'gifts' they left on some of those fire roads.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    My run-ins with dogs...and my solution.

I love dogs but:

1. One recently cornered me and barked relentlessly. I got off my bike and kept it between me and the dog. The dog still tried to get around my bike. Then when the owner finally arrived the dog bit my rear tire as I tried to go on my way.

2. Two, yes two, very strong pitbulls came flying around a tight corner at me recently. I basically froze. It turned out fine but if one of those dogs latched on to my leg I could of been in deep trouble.

My solution: I now carry Fox 5.3 pepper spray. However, I decided that if I keep it in my pocket there's no way I'm going to get to it in time if I needed it.

So, my next project is to customize a Fenix ALB-10 bar mount by replacing it with longer bolts so it will adapt to my pepper spray can. Then I'm going to take just the "lens" of a flashlight and attached it to the front of the can so it looks like its just a flashlight on my handlebars.

How I plan to use it, if need be: If a dog comes at me I'll spray the ground in front of me between me and the dog. With dogs incredible sense of smell I'm hoping it will stop him from approaching me. I hope I never have to do this, but at least I'll be prepared and it will give me peace of mind.

I'm sure I'll have my critics about what I just wrote but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    No criticism from me. Nobody's dog would ever bite anyone, but this stuff happens all the time.

Why not keep the holster of a can of spray taped to one of the vertical straps of your water pack?

mtbr member
    Nobody's dog would ever bite anyone.
    I'm not sure about that. I know a lot of people that have been bit by a dog.

Why not keep the holster of a can of spray taped to one of the vertical straps of your water pack?
    I do have a holster stitched to my vertical strap that accepts my pepper spray. However, I have more than one backpack. Also, to access it I need to unclip it, pull it out, and turn it the right way.

A Fenix ALB-10 is quick release and I don't have to fumble with anything. I already have one of these mounts for my flashlight. They're great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would skip the spraying the ground step myself in the case of an obviously aggressive dog.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I know what you mean. But I'm not sure how a dog that intends to bite you acts.

For example, do they bark for a while first, then bite? Or do they make a bee-line straight at you?

Not sure what the time factor is that I would have to work with. With an annoying dog I would probably be able to give him a "scent" of the spray to make him back off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's tough to tell - depends on the dog.
    A lot of dogs will bark but not bite, and your behavior also plays a major role.
    Putting the bike between you and the dog is a good opening move and will make some time for you to assess better, or hopefully for that jackass who takes an aggressive dog to a public place and lets it run loose to get control of it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott36 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I know a lot of people that have been bit by a dog.
    /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by jscott36 View Post
    A Fenix ALB-10 is quick release and I don't have to fumble with anything. I already have one of these mounts for my flashlight. They're great.
    I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Off leash dog owner here. On occasion my dog will react to a stranger with an aggressive charge (not happy about that and I generally control her with voice or electric training collar) once she gets to you she leans against ANYONE awaiting a butt scratch. If you sprayed here with mace when she came at you I would be 100% ok with it and apologize profusely to you for her actions that caused you to do that.

The Fells, off leash dogs increasingly common and dangerous-blizpup.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    Off leash dog owner here...If you sprayed here with mace when she came at you I would be 100% ok with it and apologize profusely to you for her actions that caused you to do that.[/ATTACH]
    Holy shit - a unicorn!!!

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    Off leash dog owner here. On occasion my dog will react to a stranger with an aggressive charge (not happy about that and I generally control her with voice or electric training collar) once she gets to you she leans against ANYONE awaiting a butt scratch. If you sprayed here with mace when she came at you I would be 100% ok with it and apologize profusely to you for her actions that caused you to do that.

Name:	blizpup.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	1176364
    so

the question is:

why have you not trained that behavior away ?

that can be fixed fast. it is one task you are teaching.

unless your dog is retarded, and if that is the case the dog needs to be leashed 100% the time.

???
    off leash dog owner here, with a dog they admit is aggressive acting ??

your dog needs to be leashed in public spaces. period.

you are bullying random people, knowing you have a dog that acts like that yet you say 'off leash dog owner'

how in hell do you have the right to be a public bully with your dog ?
    get with the program. some people are terrorized and have extreme fear when a dog comes up at them. you do not have the right to put that fear into strangers.

it is unacceptable to have your dog off leash, knowing it is not trained well.

oh well, just one of many who 'it's all about me and my little poopski' when out in the woods, no 'true' empathy for others who would rather NOT deal with your uncontrollable thing with sharp teeth. otherwise you'd have said 'my dog is always on a leash because it has a known bad behavior with strangers'

I don't see 'oh a cute little fluffkins' in your dog picture, I see 'a walnut sized brain controlling 305 PSI of bite pressure and very sharp teeth'

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride with off leash dogs regularly, including my own, none of which are even slightly aggressive to people or other dogs (squirrels at a different matter). I would never think of having her off-leash if she had ever barked at anyone or been anything but friendly and submissive on the trail; even then, I try my best not to let here approach anyone even in a friendly manner until I've made voice contact with them and made sure they don't mind.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Interesting conversation guys. I've enjoyed reading other's experiences and input.

@screamingbun - the picture of your dog is hilarious. It looks like maybe just his head is sticking out of the snow? I didn't know what to think. A one-eared dog foaming at the mouth came to mind, though Easy decision on whether or not to use pepper spray there lol

By the way, don't worry about 127.0.0.1's rant. He doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to flashlights

mtbr member
    Just covered in snow from the recent blizzard, thx

EAT MORE GRIME