• 02-17-2015
    scrublover
    Fells or Lynn decent for fatbike now? [o]
    Thanks in advance for any assist!

    Going to be at my brother-in-laws place in Medford this Thursday/Friday, and those appear to two closest riding spots...have a familiarity with both, but it's been a looooong time since riding either.

    Worth bringing the fatty or the snowshoes? I know ya'll have a ton of snow, but no idea how well things are tracked. Other spots to consider that aren't terribly far?

    Coming from western CT, and some of our stuff is stracked in, but most isn't.

    Pics because threads with pics get seen more.


  • 02-18-2015
    Rocks = Friends
    Lynn woods for any kind of biking is now impossible.
    Snowshoe can be done wherever there is snow. Three to four feet deep means you'll need shoes with the best float if you're walking unbroken trails. If in doubt, go Fells since it gets higher foot traffic and trails will be packed.
  • 02-18-2015
    scrublover
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rocks = Friends View Post
    Lynn woods for any kind of biking is now impossible.
    Snowshoe can be done wherever there is snow. Three to four feet deep means you'll need shoes with the best float if you're walking unbroken trails. If in doubt, go Fells since it gets higher foot traffic and trails will be packed.

    Thanks for the info.

    Wasn't sure what might be packed down or not by the local 'shoer and fatbiker population. Figured to ask beforehand.

    Fells it is. Nice and close to where I'll be staying anyhow, so works out well.
  • 02-18-2015
    Aceldama
    I normally ride the fells a few times a week but haven't made it out there since the first big snowstorm (been busy shoveling).

    Let me know how it works out, I'm itching to get back out there.
  • 02-18-2015
    leeboh
    Lynn woods is closed to mt biking until 4/1.
  • 02-19-2015
    scrublover
    Yeah, I'm set on the Fells due to Lynn being 1. close, and 2. supposedly untracked.

    Binging the fatty, will see what the Fells are like Friday and Saturday morning I guess...
  • 02-19-2015
    leeboh
    Try to hit some areas well tracked with foot traffic. Post back pls. Some warmer temps today may help.
  • 02-21-2015
    Locoman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Lynn woods is closed to mt biking until 4/1.

    Technically speaking, the power lines (and north of) never close.


    .
  • 02-25-2015
    Aceldama
    Update:

    I took a quick ride at The Fells today from the Bellevue Pond lot counter clockwise to right around Molly's Spring road. The trails were well packed singletrack and practically groomed at the start of my ride.
  • 02-25-2015
    kubaner
    Billy, mom said you weren't allowed to have another cookie.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Lynn woods is closed to mt biking until 4/1.

  • 02-26-2015
    127.0.0.1
    many places bikes are banned until april something....15th sometimes

    look it up on the web, before bringing a bike
  • 02-26-2015
    biggrumble
    Hey Aceldama, are the Fells trails rideable with "skinny" studded tires?
  • 02-26-2015
    newmarketrog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    many places bikes are banned until april something....15th sometimes

    look it up on the web, before bringing a bike

    snow's ok. yer not even touching the ground. no such thing as off limits with a deep snowpack:)

    rog
  • 02-28-2015
    Aceldama
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Hey Aceldama, are the Fells trails rideable with "skinny" studded tires?

    Some spots would work but it was a bit too soft with the warmer weather I'd think.
  • 03-02-2015
    leeboh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kubaner View Post
    Billy, mom said you weren't allowed to have another cookie.

    That is for mud season. Which may be in June this year.
  • 03-02-2015
    Scarsandtears
    I am amazed out how quickly some places dry out with even the harshest of wet weather rain/deep snow pack.
    The muddier spots will be a bit soft for a while. But with some dry conditions and wind, we could be at a normal spring riding rate. If it rains, not so much....
    Lot of ifs, but it is what it is...