Fells and highland- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fells and highland

I was wondering what a decent time around the orange trail would be.

This is the route Fells and highland-map.png

and this is the details

Fells and highland-details.jpg

Here is an example of the trail
    Fells and highland-orange.jpg

I had a great ride today, met some nemba guys doing trail work and thanked them for their hard work. Wish I had more time to help.

I wanted to add a mini review of Highland Mtn Park. I know it's not in MA but thought you might want to know about this place.

I had a great time, the place is SICK. I have done plenty of down hill and I am a former BMX nationally ranked rider, so jumps are no problem. But I was a little bit of a fish out of water. I rode my hardtail 29er. i think I was the only hardtail there and the only 29er. It didn't matter, the place is awesome. take alook at the video of a trail called "hellion" Videos

That trail was a blast! One thing the video makes it look like there are alot of big air jumps, the jumps are actully step up type jumps and super smooth.

The trails are super maintaned. All the big drops have ride arounds. Great vibe there. I highly recommend. And if are one of the girls from Cambridge who I rode the lift with, PM about ridin at the Fells.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I don't ride the fells very often, it's usually pretty crowded, but I'd say 1:04 is pretty decent timing. If you're trying to race XC I'm sure you could challenge yourself to push closer to a 7mph pace since there really isn't much climbing there and tech wise it's also pretty low key. But just for a decent paced after work ride not bad at all.

I completely agree on Highland, I go up there fairly regularly, did you check out the new trails- Bone Saw and Cat Paw? I really dig Bone Saw.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I am not trying to race or anything, just trying to figure if I am totally slackin'. Thinking about going on some group rides and worried about being dropped.

I suppose my time would have been better but I did stop twice for a couple of minutes and a third time when I talked to the Nemba guys.

I did ride Cat Paw twice. Sweet berms about half way down that felt like a cork screw. I'm definately going back. Maybe to see the big event next month. Some kind of freestyle World Cup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    claymore challenge...yes go. Great event, great venue. Its on the fmb world tour so big names are on the roster. And don't sweat your time around the orange loop. If you are your doing it wrong. And if the group your riding with drops you there doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Doro; 06-21-2012 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    On Strava someone did it in 28:55 at an average of 12.9mph.

Strava Segment | Mtn Bike loop - long pond entrance

That's a crazy pace. I've haven't ridden that loop but I'd say 7-8mph moving average is pretty good.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 06-21-2012 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    That time and map looks like the bike loop, not the orange trail. Bike loop is 80-90% fire road. Can go much much faster on that than the orange trail. Still an impressive time.

mtbr member
    Oh. Then you should import your track into Strava and create a segment. After a few minutes it will create a leaderboard.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    That time and map looks like the bike loop, not the orange trail. Bike loop is 80-90% fire road. Can go much much faster on that than the orange trail. Still an impressive time.
    +1. I am in top ten of that segment and I rode the bike loop.

mtbr member
    I will use Strava next time through the orange trail and set a segment. I have been using Mountain Bike Pro app.

mtbr member
    You don't need the app. Just download your track to Strava right now and create a segment.

mtbr member
    Here's the Orange loop:

Strava Segment | orange loop

You would be second.

mtbr member
    it's interesting how there are different mileage. That app (Strava) is pretty cool. You can actually find some new places to ride by looking at a state forest and look for segments.

mtbr member
    Garmin Connect is really good for finding new trails. You can search for entire tracks in map view. Plus they probably have 100x the number of users/tracks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I thought the bike loop was the only approved mtb trail in the fells? If the orange trail is open, what else is MTB approved?

banned
    Feb 2012
    See Middlesex Fells Reservation : Riding & Hiking

Things changed this Spring. Orange trail is now officially open for MTB, a few sections have be re-routed to be more MTB friendly. Any road/trail that does not have the No bikes sign or the No trespassing sign can be ridden. That excludes most of the white skyline trail but not all of it.

Class Clown
    I ride the Fells all the time. Pretty stupid to close any trails to bikes. (Yep here we go again) Some trails that are closed you wouldn't want to ride anyway, but there's a couple that make no sense to have closed. Also most people who go there to walk and dog owners stick to the main trails anyway, so why not get us the hell out of the way and onto those forbidden trails.

I have no idea about time as I haven't looked at a map in awhile and I go by memory so I'm not sure what color trail or the name of it is most of the time. The great thing about the Fells is that since it isn't huge there are alot of trails so you can mix things up quite a bit and ride the trails less traveled.

If you head east across the road and past Spot Pond there are some more trails too, although the areas are smaller.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    wanted to ask you about the latest at Highland....Been up there a few times and it's fun, but in everyday life i'm no hucker. I ride XC trails. I'd heard they were building out way more terrain for XC rides up there....in an effort to bill themselves as a mini Kingdom Trails per say (which has both downhill at the mountain, and as you know epic and endless singletrack).

When you were up there, had this work (or some of this work) been done? if so, did you ride it?

My ideal time there would be to rip a bunch of XC stuff for awhile, and then hit some downhill for second half of day.

I can't do enough to actually enjoy a full day at Highland...my limits come to fruition pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are only about 3 miles of XC currently. They are working on making it about 10 before the end of the season. What they have so far is very good though. Once it gets up to 10 it will be an awesome way to split the day between XC and DH.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    awesome, thanks for the reply. 10 mile loop would be really great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode the xc loop this past Sunday- really nice so far. Flowy and bermy with equal parts climbing and bombing down. We clocked about 5.5 miles including fire road returns, and according to management it will, indeed, be up 10 miles by season's end (early evidence of trail expansion was visible- we even rode one stretch that felt VERY new- really soft and freshly thinned out).

I have also heard rumor that they are planning to extend some ridge line, enduro type trails all the way down to the valley, with shuttles picking riders up to return them to the base. Pure unconfirmed rumor, but pretty cool if true.

That place is so great. Easy rider is a pretty solid xc trail too if you want to ride the lifts but dial the gnar way down. My wife ripped that and meadow's end on a 4" xc bike all day.

In a group of four of us there was myself- earth-bound intermediate on an AM bike, my wife, a total novice on her 4" xc bike and our two friends on dedicated downhill steeds with full armor and the skills to justify it lapping hellion all day. All of us had epic days. They're doing an impressive job up there of making the place ideal for riders of all levels and tastes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Funny, I've been riding the orange loop a lot lately on my 29er rigid singlespeed to try and get fit for an upcoming bike trip, I have only ridden it clockwise, and the loop takes me about 50-55mins depending on the day, it seems though that my loop is somewhat different than some of the strava maps, I try to follow the orange slashes on the trees, and as far as I know I am on it the whole time...not so sure about the section near sheepfold, I come off the new-looking singletrack (which is well designed, not techy but fun and twisty) and skirt the sheepfold to the west.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...da1ab61b4cb17b

kinda looks like one of the strava segments above veers off the orange loop, onto the spot pond trail along I-93. The circuit WoodsGuy posted looks to really be the orange loop.

Members who have read this thread: 0