Fells DCR Request: Please respect the riding ban on Skyline (White) Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Fells DCR Request: Please respect the riding ban on Skyline (White) Trail

DCR has reached out to us to ask that we remind riders that the Skyline (White) trail at the Fells is hiking-only. They have observed an increase in the number of riders on Skyline and asked for help getting the word out to the riding community to please not ride on Skyline. So please respect this and take advantage of the other main, legally ride-able trails at the Fells: Orange and Green. Thanks for spreading the word and helping be good trail-community members at the Fells!

mtbr member
    Great advice to stay off white trail, but DCR could help out and label the trails better. I have lots of miles at the Fells and still sometimes find myself on the wrong (white) trail.

Try and follow the easiest bike loop trail and you will see it is not that easy to avoid (sections of) the white trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^ Agreed. I get out there maybe 6 times a year or so. Pretty familiar with the routes, however some intersections are not that clear.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I have gone in there farting around and before I know it I am stopping at a trail entrance somewhere, thinking twice, looking thrice, think I found a good trail, no signs saying otherwise...hit it, an then halfway in I see a white marker and OH Sh*t I am poaching...

I still don't get it

many intersections still not clear where to go or turn

I can understand fully how riders end up poaching trails without intent to poach, and every time you cross skyline you see 'hey that looks like the decent ST I was looking for...' but it's not.

the place is still not marked well enough for noobs, or those who 'do not know fells like the back of yer hand' to stay off skyline 100% the time.

I never recommend the fells as a place to ride, it's a 'minefield' of mistakes waiting to happen and with the history of the place and the fights mtb had to endure, ....cannot recommend it like I can recommend anywhere else.

-------------------------------------------
    EDIT: one thing for sure, and there is no excuse, is if on skyline
    you will eventually see white blazes, and you keep going, you will see more white blazes.

so yes I see how you can end up on skyline and have no idea how you got there, even being super careful.
    but you have to be a numbnut to continue on skyline for more than 1/10th mile because that means you are ignoring the white blazes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One note for those confused - there are sections of orange and white where the two trails run together. these sections ARE open for biking - as long as there's an orange (or green) blaze you're good. Just be wary of where the trails split.

I do hope the DCR also reminds hikers to stay on trail and out of closed areas, because far more often than seeing a biker poaching, I see hikers on closed sections of trail, off trail, or even last week two dudes walking down the reservoir trail near south reservoir with open containers AND a dog off leash.

Who are the brain police?
    The fun stuff in the Fells is off limits which is why I really never go in there.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Class Clown
    There are so many trails right next to each other it's easy enough to get confused. The bigger intersections are clearly marked but you could head down a random path and not realize it.

mtbr member
    Most of the skyline trail would just not be fun to ride, I dont get why anyone would even try (unless you got some super awesome suspension) when there's plenty of good legal trails.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch
    2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

mtbr member
    sometimes you just end up on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    sometimes you just end up on it.
    True, I've probably guilty of it myself, and ended up pushing my hardtail or turning around. I do try to not be 'that guy' on the DCR hitlist that would cause NEMBA to make this post!
    Last edited by haymaker; 08-23-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Agreed, the trails need better marking. I ride and hike the Fells fairly often and there are still spots i get confused at. If its an intersection, it should be marked at least with paint dots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan View Post
    Agreed, the trails need better marking. I ride and hike the Fells fairly often and there are still spots i get confused at. If its an intersection, it should be marked at least with paint dots.
    So whatever happened to the naked fells runner?
    A prison
    B dead
    C working for the MWRA
    E realized a pair of slacks is a actually kinda comfortable

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This naked dude must have been before my time, but I've seen some groups of individuals rapidly dispersing from the area when they hear my bike coming. Maybe they were just doing trail repairs?
    2018 Giant Stance 1
    2017 Motobecane Lurch

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    So whatever happened to the naked fells runner?
    A prison
    B dead
    C working for the MWRA
    E realized a pair of slacks is a actually kinda comfortable

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have friends that ride their regularly and they still spot him on occasion. Dude just wants to let his freak flag fly.