Fells Alert: This is not a drill. Follow the link and read.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Fells Alert: This is not a drill. Follow the link and read.

gbnemba.org
    Thanks Feral.

They've put up a nice successor to the wheeled-locusts site - Fells Forever – DCR RMP | Studies debunked, new bike trails unjustified. with lots of propaganda (such as the URL itself - bikesvnaturedotorg!). Carefully avoiding any Vandeman references this time around (what with him being in jail and such) but they did link back to GBNEMBA's site!

Class Clown
    If they cared about the place so much they would be for totally closing it off to all people. Any contact with humans is going to have some effect. To say that bicycles cause more damage than anyone else is total nonsense. The trails already exist! Either get rid of the trails or STFU!

Black Lion
    This Fells is a mess though, the problem is lack of proper trail work.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    From what I know, the reason there hasn't been much proper trail work is that the so-called Friends of the Fells always block NEMBA from doing proper trail work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    "...roots and rocks force bikes off the main path and onto trail edges..."
    Um, have these guys ever seen a mountain biker?

I used to ride here every other day about a decade ago, it was great - I've since moved from the area, it is sad to see this is going on. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I must confess, I have hiked (walked) the Fells AND biked the trails and when WALKING, to avoid the wet, I've stepped on the sides of the trails to avoid getting my hiking shoes muddy or soaked. If I were biking, I'd more likely ride right through the mud and over roots and rocks. So basically, it's just the opposite of what the FOF are claiming. Are hikers more than bikers more apt to travel right through muddy or flooded areas? I doubt it. My point is that hikers are just as liable for trail wear and widening as bikers may be or MORE so.

In addition, the pictures they post in the anti-biking statement clearly show bike trails directly through the softer areas of the trail, right through the middle and not on the periphery. Evidence that bikers take lines in in the center of the trail and not on the edges that would widen the trail. And sorry to say FOF, during the times when I've HIKED the trails, I've made imprints on wet parts of the trail like that with my foot as well.

FOF clearly skews observations and data in support of their agenda and will not look at the issues in a fair manner.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by jodebane View Post
    From what I know, the reason there hasn't been much proper trail work is that the so-called Friends of the Fells always block NEMBA from doing proper trail work.
    very true
    Voltron

A Man Of The Truth
    The fof bike hating arguments only make sense if you don't use logic.

That guy repeatedly claims that my Fellsbiker fells map encourages illegal mountain biking, because he finds the trail on my map hard to see because it's green on green. It is dark green on light green, just like much of the labeling of features on the map is green.

But that's not the point. Apparently I am encouraging illegal mountain biking because if you have poor eye sight or are particularly bad at reading maps, the mountain bike loop is hard to see on my map.
    The map that the friends of the fells distributes, doesn't have the mountain bike loop on it at all. So if I'm encouraging illegal mountain biking, the friends of the fells are STRONGLY encouraging illegal mountain biking.

As they say on the interwebz, don't feed the trolls.
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

A Man Of The Truth
    (of course he also suggests that my map is just their map "stolen" because, big surprise, my map of the exact same location, looks very similar. Anyone that knows anything about graphic design can tell you that my map is clearly an original vector drawing, not any type of re-colored scan. But the average age of a Fof member is what, 90? So you really can't expect them to understand these fancy technological terms)

Class Clown
    I used that map when I was learning the trails. I have also given a number of them I had printed out to people who were lost. Most people there are cool but you can spot a FoF'er a mile away

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    There's a new FOF anti bike website called fellsforever.org. I hope the DCR doesn't decide to favor its agenda.

A Man Of The Truth
    The two new anti-bike websites are the same website, with two domain names. I should buy treatbikesfair.com and wedeserveafairshake.com and hell why not bikerslovethefellsmore.com and point them all to fellsbiker.com

gbnemba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by jodebane View Post
    There's a new FOF anti bike website called fellsforever.org. I hope the DCR doesn't decide to favor its agenda.
    yes, it redirects from its original URL bikesvnature.org

Keep sending comments to the DCR - it makes a difference.

-C

gbnemba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    The two new anti-bike websites are the same website, with two domain names. I should buy treatbikesfair.com and wedeserveafairshake.com and hell why not bikerslovethefellsmore.com and point them all to fellsbiker.com
    I'm sure you got a kick out of crazy guy's blog - posted here for humor's sake (especially the part about coffee mug sales). And let me go on the record as saying *I* don't hate Fellsbiker nor its proprietor. :-)

At the Fells a local website called Fellsbiker.com has, I believe, been encouraging illegal trail use at the Fells. A trail guide on the site features reviews and photographs of trails not open to bikes and has been doing so for more than a decade. The author of this site claims that the reviews are for hikers, but the target audience is obvious. For example, the Skyline trail (which is a difficult hiking only trail that has always been closed to bikes) is described as “The premier trail of the Fells. The Skyline trail is mostly rocky, technical singletrack.” For those not in the know, technical single track refers to challenging mountain bike trail. A description of the Rock Circuit trail, also always closed to bikes – “The trail is extremely technical and extremely difficult. It is almost entirely singletrack.” The Reservoir Trail which is mostly closed to bikes: ” This trail is mostly single track, although not as rocky and technical as the Skyline Trail.”

There is a Fellsbiker.com trail map which Fellsbiker claims to be its own but appears to be a copy of the DCR/Friends map. It can be downloaded onto a phone or home computer but you’ll need to be good at Where’s Waldo if you want to find the Mountain Bike loop. This green trail is the same color as the background of the Fellsbiker map. Since the Fellsbiker map background is also green, it is impossible to see the most important trail for bikers. Why?

The where-to-ride section is also very unclear. This advice for new visitors reads like a puzzle or a coded message. Take a look and tell me where it is legal to ride in the Fells. If you think this is a minor point, consider the fact that Fellsbiker hasn’t changed this message for more than ten years, and his site and Boston NEMBA are the two sites most often visited by new bikers. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume that would include many Boston area college students looking for legitimate advice on where to ride. With advice like this, it is easy to see why many would be confused about the rules and just ride “wherever.”

The official park regulations section of his site doesn’t include rules about mountain biking. Fellsbiker sells clocks, mugs and other items on this site and has links to bike dealers who I would image compensate him somehow for his efforts although I can’t prove this. I asked a contact from NEMBA about Fellsbiker and he said NEMBA hates the Fellsbiker website but could do nothing to shut it down. Still, there must be SOME way for NEMBA to convince the owner of this site that his site is encouraging illegal use. I personally think he knows that already and doesn’t care. Take a look at the site yourself and tell me if I’m wrong. I don’t think that Fellsbiker is helping the situation in the Fells. This site is the main website having to do with biking in the Fells other than the NEMBA site. I’m sure many college students use it. With maps that are unclear, and rules that are fuzzy, and zero regulation, is it any wonder that illegal trail use is a problem?

A Man Of The Truth
    The craziness speaks for itself. Which is why rather than fighting against this guy's websites, we should probably try to find ways to encourage him. This time around, it seems the DCR isn't buying his BS for a minute. So lets push him over the *METAPHORICAL* cliff.

Also we should probably stop referring to his websites by domain name. We're probably generating as much traffic as he is.

I love how unthoughtful his arguments are.
    He thinks the MTB loop on my map is hard to see, and that is me encouraging illegal mountain biking.
    But the map the FOF distributes doesn't have the MTB loop on it at all.

Even his first paragraph is great: "I believe", "is obvious".
    A crazy person has crazy bike-hating ideas. And doesn't need to defend his ideas because they are so obvious. It's almost like arguing with a super-religious person about evolution.

This idea that I am encouraging illegal mountain biking is based on the notion that fellsbiker.com is for, and ONLY for, mountain bikers. When in reality, I get emails all the time from every user group. It is the most comprehensive and informational website about the fells. Everybody uses it. But this doesn't fit into the Fof's narrative of "Us" vs "them", "us being bikers, and them being what the fof deem as "legitimate" fells users.

A Man Of The Truth
    And from this point on, Steve Guyrina will hereby be known as "Glenn Beck of the Fells"

A Man Of The Truth
    Another great nugget is the idea that the fight for bike fairness at the Fells is being "backed" or even "bankrolled" by the "billion dollar bicycle industry". So does that mean the Fof's biking hating lobby is being backed by the billion dollar hiking gear industry? Or are both ideas just crazy ramblings from someone trying to get a little fear-mongering going.

gbnemba.org
    All good stuff, Johnny Fellsbiker...

Black Lion
    Another great nugget is the idea that the fight for bike fairness at the Fells is being "backed" or even "bankrolled" by the "billion dollar bicycle industry". So does that mean the Fof's biking hating lobby is being backed by the billion dollar hiking gear industry? Or are both ideas just crazy ramblings from someone trying to get a little fear-mongering going.
    Keep truth alive!
    Voltron

mtbr member
    And from this point on, Steve Guyrina will hereby be known as "Glenn Beck of the Fells"
    Maybe a bit more Rachel Maddow as this is MA. Either way, a miserable person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Maybe a bit more Rachel Maddow as this is MA. Either way, a miserable person.
    I'll bet this guy watches psychos like Maddow and Olberman

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Agreed!

Class Clown
    those pesky college kids and their map reading skills!

gbnemba.org
    I've taken fells biker's suggestion to heart. The proprietor of the site mentioned above actually answers his email. See how far you can take it.

gbnemba.org