Fat Bikes on Cape Cod Beaches?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Fat Bikes on Cape Cod Beaches?

Specifically the National Seashore - looks like (satellite view) you could make a massive ride from Eastham around P-town and back on the other side. I'll be up there for a week next month and hope I can ride some of these beaches. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi I goggled fat bike cape cod and came up with some info. I found that the national seashore is a no -no , but there are a lot of cape cod beaches that you can ride . I road mt, bike on cape cod a lot some years ago . There are a number of good rides in the central cape .

mtbr member
    Talk to the Cape NEMBA people (Facebook is a good way to get in touch). They all ride fatties on the beach. National Seashore is a big NO. But they may be nice enough to let you in on some riding near there that is legal. The other big place is Sandy Neck in Barnstable. This is a nice long beach and open to bikes in the same way it is OHVs, i.e. sometimes its closed during shorebird nesting (which we are well out of).
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    I'm a member of CC Nemba and this discussion always comes up. There are a lot of trails within the national seashore that you can ride, but, not the beach. The end of the rail trail in Wellfleet is a good start. Look at an open street map of the area. Another good beach ride is in Dennis. Start at Mayflower beach and go west to Chapin's beach and east to Sesuit harbor. 10 miles. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447163770.594699.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  22.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447163801.080887.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  79.6 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Here's a sample of trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map, I'll try that loop next time the wife and I are in p-town. We have an ORV pass for our truck and we almost always bring our fat bikes with us. We actually rode the national seashore before we realized we couldn't and had a few random folks on the beach warn us they've seen people get ticketed before.

Does anybody know the real reason why fat bikes aren't allowed on beaches that are open for people, dogs and off-road vehicles? It'd be nice to get enough people together to make a change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Seem like below the high tide line might be allowed. Is it just a federal thing?

mtbr member
    Don't quote me on this, but, I think most national parks don't allow cycling. CCNEMBA is talking to the Rangers out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the information. It's unfortunate (narrow minded in my opinion) that bikes are not allowed on the national seashore beaches. Maybe it's just a negotiation and education thing which I'm sure the local riders will be able to take on with success in due time. Seems like if these beaches were opened, in combination with the growing popularity of fat bike beach riding, this could be a major destination. Very psyched to get out to this area to explore and ride what I can. I'll post again when the dates get closer so see if anyone wants to ride. Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have info on Sandy Neck beach? Checking out the map it appears they have a number of trails; on the coast and also a Marsh trail.

I was thinking of heading over there today but I guess it's partly closed for hunting.

mtbr member
    They are having deer hunting open from 11/30-12/5. After that it should go back to their normal schedule. Sandy Neck usually keeps their website regularly updating with closings and openings.

http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/san...20Tire%20Bikes
    Last edited by WATERBOOY; 11-30-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: fix typo

mtbr member
    Ended up riding a loop at Sandy Neck and it was a lot of fun. We rode out along the shore until we reached 'trail 2' and then rode inland toward the marshlands/harbor toward the 'Sandy Neck nature trail'.

The riding on the nature trail was a challenging mix of deep sand and flooded areas but it was a blast.

We made a lot of stops and it took us about an hour and a half to complete a 4.5 mile loop. Riding all the way to the lighthouse and back would be quite a challenge.

Here's a little clip of the riding on the nature trail:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What about the areas that allow the over sand permits for vehicles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    What about the areas that allow the over sand permits for vehicles.
    Sandy Neck has it's own set of rules that are different than the National Seashore. The ORV beach areas at Sandy Neck are open to Fat Biking. You just need to keep an eye on the status page for hunting alerts and such.

Here's the link to the Sandy Neck status page that was posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/san...20Tire%20Bikes