Eastern Massachusetts MTB Friendly Towns & Areas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Eastern Massachusetts MTB Friendly Towns & Areas

Currently living in Colorado but planning to move back East eventually, and considering Eastern Massachusetts or Southern NH. Probably wouldn't go further west than Sturbridge, MA as we want to stay more East to be closer to family. I know there are not really true MTB towns in Massachusetts but looking for somewhere that would give me quick access to at least a couple trail systems for weekday rides, and within an hour or two to some bigger trail systems for weekend trips.

What comes to mind for a good place to call home for an avid mountain biker that likes to get out 3-4 times a week, without getting bored.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Lol stay in Colorado dude.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Tons of small local areas to ride in. Just about any patch of woods will have good rideable trails. Way different than CO. Check out Trailforks to see what's around. Also, the Strava Heatmap will show where people actually ride. For general riding, I prefer the Northeast/East over CO.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Although I've only ridden a handful of them, lots of spots off 146. Oxford, Sutton, Douglas, etc... Sturbridge has has lots of new trails popping up between Tantasqua, Leadmine, and over by Wells/Plimpton.

I feel that the mtb scene has really exploded in the last few years. It won't be Colorado, but you'll have some good options. New trails and networks all over the place.

Anyone on the North Shore care to chime in? I know there's plenty up there too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeadle View Post
    Currently living in Colorado but planning to move back East eventually, and considering Eastern Massachusetts or Southern NH. Probably wouldn't go further west than Sturbridge, MA as we want to stay more East to be closer to family. I know there are not really true MTB towns in Massachusetts but looking for somewhere that would give me quick access to at least a couple trail systems for weekday rides, and within an hour or two to some bigger trail systems for weekend trips.

What comes to mind for a good place to call home for an avid mountain biker that likes to get out 3-4 times a week, without getting bored.
    Will you be working and where? Budget will vary wildly by town.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Eastern MA is small but with tons of riding all over. Just south of Boston you have Blue Hills, Vietnam, and Wompatuck all within a 30 minute radius, plus a dozen more smaller spots. North of the city there's Harold Parker, Lynn Woods, and the Fells, plus other smaller spots. To the West of the city there's a ton of great spots through the Blackstone Valley, .

If it were me, I'd first look at the Rt 3 corridor, Billerica, Burlington, etc. as you have great local riding within minutes at Billerica SF, Russel Mills, and Landlock plus easy access to even better stuff just across the border in NH. Another big plus is Rt. 3 gives you quicker access with less traffic up to the mountains in NH and VT where the really good stuff is.

My second pick would be Milford/Mendon, with great local riding at Vietnam, Mendon Town Forest, Goat Hill, etc. Third choice would be Canton/Braintree with quick access to Blue Hills, Borderland, and Wompatuck. I live south of the city now though and have to fight traffic through Boston any time I want to head to the mountains, which is most weekends these days.

If work permitted I'd love to be in southern NH. I'd pick somewhere in the greater Manchester area. Lots of bars/restaurants/etc in town plus quick access to great riding spots like Bear Brook, Yudicky, Grater Woods, etc. And even closer to the mountains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    If it were me, I'd first look at the Rt 3 corridor, Billerica, Burlington, etc. as you have great local riding within minutes at Billerica SF, Russel Mills, and Landlock plus easy access to even better stuff just across the border in NH.
    Yeah, the greater Lowell area will give you a good selection of well-developed riding options within minutes.

We've got plenty of decent trail in northern Worcester County also, and your money goes a lot farther when it comes to home/land.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I live in the Blackstone Valley ( Southern Worcester County)- and we have TONS of trail systems within a 30 minute drive. Rayburn, Singletary, Vietnam, Mendon Town Forest, Goat Hill, West Hill Dam Park, Sutton, Douglas State Forest, Lincoln Woods and Diamond Hill ( both in RI- but 15 minutes from my house). Also to get somewhere like Thunder Mountain Bike Park or Highland is under 2 hours. We also have a new bike path which will eventually connect Worcester to Providence ( only a few miles left to go!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Unless you have a need to be close to Boston for work, or needed to go to the South Shore on a regular basis - it's an easy choice.

Southern NH is a better place to live than Eastern Ma.

mtbr member
    also, I could ride most of if not all of the year. Many of the trails are old rocky/rooty/gritty trails neither build, maintained or improved for mtbing so no prohibition riding when wet. Most years the snow isn't deep for long and you can do a lot of riding with studded tires. +++++++++ Edit: OK. After posting the above about all the wonderfulness, I got to thinking, what are some of the negatives. A big one is the summer can be pretty hot and humid, and most everywhere prohibits riding after dark. At the same time, the mosquitoes will drain you dry if you linger below ~6-8 mph. Deet and permethrin are essential. Deet doesn't seem to deter the little non-biting black flies, so just learn to swallow. Then there're the ticks. It gets ludicrous at times. I remember one ride I had to stop every 10-15 minutes so I could pick a 1/2 doz or more off my legs. I've picked up ticks in the middle of winter with snow still on the ground when the temps went above freezing for a few hrs. Road riding can be an alternative as you can ride at night, easily keep up enough speed to outrun the mosquitoes, and there are no ticks on the road. I did get a flat on a road ride and by time I go the tube changed out I must have had 50 or more mosquito bites, despite frantically working as fast as I could.
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 07-24-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

i was always pretty partial to Cambridge / Somerville area (city vibe for sure) - could ride from apartment to the Fells for a 2 hr ride cruz to Davis Square for a beer or 3 (Mike's was a favorite also Red Bones). Then mix it up with a Lynn Woods ride just outside the city (20-30 min driver). For weekends, depending on who you align with, lots of options w/in a 30+min drive. Then there is is 1/2 DOZ lift-served joints w/in 1.5 - 3 hr drive...

Lots of really good riding w/in Boston area - just need to work for it a bit ie not a lot of mapping / trail signage. You will need to get close to a group / bike shop to figure it out..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Can we get a demarcation zone for 'eastern' MA: From My end of the state it starts just east of the Quabbin.

mtbr member
    I'd say eastern MA is east of Fitchburg/Worcester. Quabbin is just west of the middle of MA so I'd call it central, from Worcester to Amherst/I91. Western MA after that. I think of the Greater Boston area as anything inside I495. That's just me.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    Unless you have a need to be close to Boston for work, or needed to go to the South Shore on a regular basis - it's an easy choice.

That depends.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I'd say eastern MA is east of Fitchburg/Worcester. Quabbin is just west of the middle of MA so I'd call it central, from Worcester to Amherst/I91. Western MA after that. I think of the Greater Boston area as anything inside I495. That's just me.
    This sounds about right. I think it also depends what the OP means by eastern. Do they plan on commuting to Boston if/when offices reopen? Then the worcester - boston commute is a bit far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for all the input! To give some clarification, I work remotely even well before covid so I really have no need to go into Boston and am not much of a city person anyways so I am fine being far outside of Boston if this is going to give me more bang for my buck in buying a house and better trails.

And my original title should have been geared toward both eastern and central MA as I would be willing to go as far west as Sturbridge, MA, and anything north or East of there.

Going to check out a lot of these places listed. Thanks everyone for the input so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    also, I could ride most of if not all of the year. Many of the trails are old rocky/rooty/gritty trails neither build, maintained or improved for mtbing so no prohibition riding when wet. Most years the snow isn't deep for long and you can do a lot of riding with studded tires. +++++++++ Edit: OK. After posting the above about all the wonderfulness, I got to thinking, what are some of the negatives. A big one is the summer can be pretty hot and humid, and most everywhere prohibits riding after dark. At the same time, the mosquitoes will drain you dry if you linger below ~6-8 mph. Deet and permethrin are essential. Deet doesn't seem to deter the little non-biting black flies, so just learn to swallow. Then there're the ticks. It gets ludicrous at times. I remember one ride I had to stop every 10-15 minutes so I could pick a 1/2 doz or more off my legs. I've picked up ticks in the middle of winter with snow still on the ground when the temps went above freezing for a few hrs. Road riding can be an alternative as you can ride at night, easily keep up enough speed to outrun the mosquitoes, and there are no ticks on the road. I did get a flat on a road ride and by time I go the tube changed out I must have had 50 or more mosquito bites, despite frantically working as fast as I could.
    I am surprised to hear night riding is mainly prohibited. It is here in Colorado mainly due to nocturnal wildlife you would not want to run into but when I lived in Chicopee, MA we would night ride at a number of places in the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for all the input! To give some clarification, I work remotely even well before covid so I really have no need to go into Boston and am not much of a city person anyways so I am fine being far outside of Boston if this is going to give me more bang for my buck in buying a house and better trails.

And my original title should have been geared toward both eastern and central MA as I would be willing to go as far west as Sturbridge, MA, and anything north or East of there.

Going to check out a lot of these places listed. Thanks everyone for the input so far.
    Good call.
    I probably go to Boston once a year, if that. Really no need.
    I live near Wachusett Mountain in Westminster, check it out. Nice little town, about an hour from Logan if you need to fly, but feels like you're a lot farther.

Also, I've almost never had any issues night riding around MA.
    Bought my first Niterider in 1994 and have ridden almost as much in the dark as I have in the daylight since then.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Massachusetts friendly is an oxymoron.

Eastern Mass is anything within 128

Night riding isn't an issue in most places though with some areas you may need to park away from a main lot. Good luck with the move.

mtbr member
    Most all the parks and trail areas I rode when vising MA close between sunset and sunrise. That seems to be standard for all the state parks/forest, town forests and woodlands, etc.. The info is not always easy to find but is usually posted at major parking lots or access points. Most all of these are surrounded by residences that back up to the park and it's fairly common to ride past or nearly in the back yards of peoples homes. I suspect that's one major reason the parks close at night.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Most all the parks and trail areas I rode when vising MA close between sunset and sunrise. That seems to be standard for all the state parks/forest, town forests and woodlands, etc...
    Technically correct, but in practice, there are only a handful of places where there's anyone checking.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member

There are some real hidden gems along the south coast, and plenty of nearby trail systems to scoot around on. WRT night riding, most parks just close the parking lots, if they're gated. I've never been stopped or hassled for riding after dark in ANY of the places I typically frequent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    We visit Berkshires quite regularly, but, I would not relocate to live there for a whole year. It is all quite personal, but, if idea is to relocate for a retirement, it is one story, if to move with kids and need a good school district - it it an another story, etc.

I would also say - try out more locations along south shore area, look at Norwell-Marshfield-Duxbury line , but, it is all quite specific. I myself live in Natick, and we have no plans to move.

Just a flesh wound
    I am surprised to hear night riding is mainly prohibited. It is here in Colorado mainly due to nocturnal wildlife you would not want to run into but when I lived in Chicopee, MA we would night ride at a number of places in the area.
    Night riding is the norm once late October comes around. I go out regularly with a large group that we call Wednesday Night Lights. Sometimes 12+. It's a hoot. I have a smaller group of friends that I ride at with on a regular basis once the sun starts getting low early. Wompatuck is night friendly. I've never had anyone stop us or question us about night riding. No worries regarding nocturnal critters. Coyotes are scared to death of us.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post

Well that depends. Paying NH RE taxes? Or commuting into MA, no thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I live near Burlington,MA, great riding all around. I have 15 miles of trails 200 yds from my driveway. All day riding in several directions. Yes some pave connections. But great stuff. Lots of small to medium sized riding areas spread out all over. Think about the North Shore, Ipswich or Georgetown, lots of pedaling there.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Welcome to MA in advance!

It ainít PNW, the Sierra, or the Rockies, but we have enough variety of low-midland training grounds to keep us happy MTBírs with VT/NH just a couple hours up the road. As Surfer/Skierís we can get a little frustrated at times but thatís for another forum, and yet we still have the opportunity to call ourselves that..., so MA and New England can be a great place for the outdoor athlete.

Many of the State parks do close at dusk but the intent there is to prevent the parking lots from becoming campgrounds...otherwise thereís generally no problem for using the trails around the clock, and usually there are spots to park just outside locked gates or elsewhere along the park perimeter. Hunters and Game Wardens may be around in the Fall but most of the Wardens I know are usually happy to see others that enjoy mucking around the woods at night as much as they do, although they may be both disappointed & relieved to discover your not jacking Deer with all those [email protected]@s lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post

Eastern Mass is anything within 128
    This is a ridiculous statement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    This is a ridiculous statement.

Yeah, you're probably right. Eastern MA is actually anything within 128 excluding Lynn, Woburn, and parts of Newton.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right. Eastern MA is actually anything within 128 excluding Lynn, Woburn, and parts of Newton.
    ummm try 495 to coastline...that's eastern.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    MA has a ton of amazing places, often not very obvious.
    One we found just recently - and no clue how we did not do it before -
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/m...eak-loop-trail

It is in Dover, MA - it is a network of trails and you can have there any combinations from almost impossible climbs to almost flat horse roads, a lot of options.

mtbr member
    All good advice above... But... Move to Boston proper.
    And...
    Most of the Towns mentioned above are dangerous Bike towns lacking shoulders on the roads or bike lanes. You'll find 35-45 mph roads outside of their 1/4 mile long downtowns. Boston is building bike infrastructure, other Towns, not so much. The Cape is one of the most unsafe places to ride due to the road designs. I would put Dover right up there on the list of places not to go for a ride down the road. These Towns, you have to put your bike in a car to go for a ride.

It is possible to bike safely for miles around Boston, Small MA Towns not so much.

Move to Boston proper. The whole Commonwealth is Boston focused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    All good advice above... But... Move to Boston proper.
    And...
    Most of the Towns mentioned above are dangerous Bike towns lacking shoulders on the roads or bike lanes. You'll find 35-45 mph roads outside of their 1/4 mile long downtowns. Boston is building bike infrastructure, other Towns, not so much. The Cape is one of the most unsafe places to ride due to the road designs. I would put Dover right up there on the list of places not to go for a ride down the road. These Towns, you have to put your bike in a car to go for a ride.

It is possible to bike safely for miles around Boston, Small MA Towns not so much.

Move to Boston proper. The whole Commonwealth is Boston focused.
    LOL! I think you may have accidentally logged into a mountain bike site rather than a roadie site and given the opposite of anything remotely resembling good advice.

As far as 'Boston focused', nobody where I live gives a f*ck about Boston and considers the whole metro area a place to be avoided if at all possible.
    The only time I go there is if there's a more convenient flight out of Logan than out of Manchester NH. Other than that, it serves little to no purpose to the majority of residents outside the 128 belt.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    When think of a bike friendly town, I think of one where you ride your bike places and not drive everywhere. And the opportunity to ride off road within biking distances.

The thread is about bike friendly places in EASTERN MASS. NH is not eastern mass. nor is outside 128. The most bike friendly Towns are Boston/Cambridge/Somerville. I think there are alot of nemba members in the boston chapter who live in these areas and there is a vibrant bike scene.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When think of a bike friendly town, I think of one where you ride your bike places and not drive everywhere. And the opportunity to ride off road within biking distances.

The thread is about bike friendly places in EASTERN MASS. NH is not eastern mass. nor is outside 128. The most bike friendly Towns are Boston/Cambridge/Somerville. I think there are alot of nemba members in the boston chapter who live in these areas and there is a vibrant bike scene.

You should probably go back and read the original post again, where it says east of Sturbridge, and asks about MOUNTAIN BIKING. Not gutter/sidewalk cruising. Not hipstering down to the java hut. Mountain biking.

Why don't you throw together a list of mountain bike trails in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville real quick and let's see how that looks.
    LOL!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    All within safe riding distance

Fells
    Landlocked
    Lynn woods
    Beaver Brook
    Whipple hill
    Blue Hills
    Franklin park
    velosolutions pump track
    mary cummings park

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    As far as 'Boston focused', nobody where I live gives a f*ck about Boston and considers the whole metro area a place to be avoided
    well, i would not be so categorical, as 'to be avoided'. Boston is a great city, and so far in a pretty good condition, compared to SF, LA, Chicago, etc. It is safe to visit.

But it is unsafe to bike. Especially close to the center, Mass Av, etc. I did live in sommerville long time ago, and was enough around to see how it all got to where it is now - there is simply too much traffic now in there to safely bike around the city.

Dover had some incidents too, but, you can still take a road to some trails there and be safe. Plus, most local drivers are fully aware to expect bicyclists on all Dover roads. It is not as bad as it seems.

PS. Do not bike in franklin park after dark, though.

PPS.
    https://www.alltrails.com/us/massachusetts?ref=header
    alter elevation gain slider and enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Boston/Cambridge/Somerville seems like the worst place to be in MA for mountain biking. Any time you want to hit a trail system you'd need a long train ride or to battle traffic to get there. Your "safe riding distance" trail systems mean 5-10 miles or more on congested metro area streets. Not exactly ideal for most mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Boston/Cambridge/Somerville seems like the worst place to be in MA for mountain biking.
    Of course it is.
    I seriously thought it was a troll post at first, but apparently not.

And that list of places to ride, really? All the decent ones included are 10-20 miles outside the city, and in better places to live and ride than the cty proper.

"We're making the trip into Boston to go ride at Franklin Park" said no mountain biker, ever.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    It is probably plenty of students here who got lodging nearby to somerville/cambridge, so, they may not know much of other suburban areas. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by utkinpaul View Post
    Boston is a great city... compared to SF, LA, Chicago, etc.
    Well, that's something I suppose.
    I don't know that being a better MTB town than Chicago is really much of a ringing endorsement though.

Here's my neighborhood. Practically endless TRAIL riding options, literally out the door. For the price of a pathetic cramped little box in Boston, you can have a waterfront castle, with acreage. One hour to Logan by car, little over an hour to North Station by commuter rail for those unlucky souls who to have to go into the city regularly for whatever reason. And my pumptrack is better.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

EAT MORE GRIME
    draw a wedge....start in lexington, follow rt 2 to ny, follow rt3 to nh, that wedge is endless riding spots and extremely filled with great townie/local connector trails.

lexington is closest i'd want to be to boston with a zillion places to ride in that wedge... and with the mup, it's a lazy bike commute to beantown when needed

there are many places to ride everywhere else too but 'that wedge' is the best mix of mtb and safer road riding and being close to boston all in one go
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The thread is about bike friendly places in EASTERN MASS. NH is not eastern mass. nor is outside 128.
    "Currently living in Colorado but planning to move back East eventually, and considering Eastern Massachusetts or Southern NH"

"I really have no need to go into Boston and am not much of a city person anyways so I am fine being far outside of Boston if this is going to give me more bang for my buck in buying a house and better trails."

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    "Currently living in Colorado but planning to move back East eventually, and considering Eastern Massachusetts or Southern NH"

"I really have no need to go into Boston and am not much of a city person anyways so I am fine being far outside of Boston if this is going to give me more bang for my buck in buying a house and better trails."

Ugh - my bad too (i suggested CAM/SOM). Reading comprehension out the window lately, fkn 2020...Slappy keeping things in line!

OP - any update on move?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowridge View Post
    Ugh - my bad too (i suggested CAM/SOM). Reading comprehension out the window lately, fkn 2020...Slappy keeping things in line!
    Somebody's gotta!

Speaking of...

This spread on 60 acres in my area:

Costs the same as this 950 sq ft box in Boston:

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Slap-I bet you tell people what beer to drink too...I posted my opinion and you attacked me... I shouldn't have taken your bait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Slap-I bet you tell people what beer to drink too...I posted my opinion and you attacked me... I shouldn't have taken your bait.
    I didn't attack you, I attacked your advice because it had almost nothing to do with mountain biking, completely ignored almost everything the OP said, and was delivered it in such a way that it was obvious you felt you were 'correcting' those of us who actually paid attention to begin with.

Oh, and also because you think people everyone outside of Boston goes around wishing they were there.

To put it in your beer perspective:

OP-"What kind of beer should I try?"
    Most of us- ">list off some of our favorite beers<"
    You-"A Bloody Mary with Baked Beans"
    Me-"That's not a beer"
    You-"I've been attacked!!!"

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Top two in Mass are Somerville and Boston...

https://bikeleague.org/sites/default...pring_2020.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

LOL!!!!

Enjoy your Bloody Mary homey!

The rest of us are here for the beer...

https://www.trailforks.com/region/massachusetts/trails/
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

EAT MORE GRIME

what non cyclists came up with this malarkey sheesh what a USELESS LIST

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Reading is Fundamental. Eastern MA MTB ( that's mountain biking) friendly towns. Boston ain't one of them, as said North shore, Lowell or such. Ooooof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    All within safe riding distance

Fells
    Landlocked
    Lynn woods
    Beaver Brook
    Whipple hill
    Blue Hills
    Franklin park
    velosolutions pump track
    mary cummings park
    While there is mt biking at some of them, most are meh, and not a destination. Did you read the OP's post? At all? I live in the Burlington area, an can ride to Fells, LLF etc. And not 15 miles of pave to get there.

The Riddler
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    While there is mt biking at some of them, most are meh, and not a destination. Did you read the OP's post? At all? I live in the Burlington area, an can ride to Fells, LLF etc. And not 15 miles of pave to get there.
    Based on the OP's post, I'd say Boston/metro area is definitely a great choice. There are others factors that determine where/how you want to live such as lifestyle, real estate, income opportunity, population density, etc. But on a strictly mountain biking only interpretation, Boston is great. And there are great mountain bikers that live in/around Boston that would be happy to prove it.

How are most on the list meh? Lynn Woods, Vietnam, Blue Hills, NTF, all of the north shore, Diamond Hill, etc. are all fantastic riding and within an hour of Boston.

Also, "Boston" means a lot of things to different people. If you work in Boston and live outside (or vice-versa) that only opens your radius to other networks post-work.

If city-living and riding through Boston to MTB aren't your cup of tea, that's understandable. But there also aren't many MA towns where you have pedal-able access to bountiful, amazing MTB-specific terrain either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Based on the OP's post, I'd say Boston/metro area is definitely a great choice. There are others factors that determine where/how you want to live such as lifestyle, real estate, income opportunity, population density, etc. But on a strictly mountain biking only interpretation, Boston is great. And there are great mountain bikers that live in/around Boston that would be happy to prove it.

How are most on the list meh? Lynn Woods, Vietnam, Blue Hills, NTF, all of the north shore, Diamond Hill, etc. are all fantastic riding and within an hour of Boston.

Also, "Boston" means a lot of things to different people. If you work in Boston and live outside (or vice-versa) that only opens your radius to other networks post-work.

If city-living and riding through Boston to MTB aren't your cup of tea, that's understandable. But there also aren't many MA towns where you have pedal-able access to bountiful, amazing MTB-specific terrain either.
    A Pump track is not MT biking. Have you pedaled Mary Cummings? While beaver Brook and Whipple hill are fine, just not really a destination. Have you ever mt biked in the North Shore? Excellent mt biking is everywhere. Kinda clueless. I'll start. Wilmington, Burlington, Andover, N Andover. All day pedaling and more. Chelmsford/Billerica/Carlise for another. Georgetown/Ipswich/Topsfield for another. Beverly/Machester/Gloucester too. All day great riding.

Who are the brain police?
    Never had a problem night riding in Lynn Woods, Nam, and the Fells. Three decades so far. Only once, the day after 911, some cops stopped me in Lynn Woods after midnight. That's it.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

The Riddler
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    A Pump track is not MT biking. Have you pedaled Mary Cummings? While beaver Brook and Whipple hill are fine, just not really a destination. Have you ever mt biked in the North Shore? Excellent mt biking is everywhere. Kinda clueless. I'll start. Wilmington, Burlington, Andover, N Andover. All day pedaling and more. Chelmsford/Billerica/Carlise for another. Georgetown/Ipswich/Topsfield for another. Beverly/Machester/Gloucester too. All day great riding.
    Yeah, agreed. And Boston/the area is a pretty similar drive to all of those places, plus areas south. Sure, you can live near Harold Parker and ride that all the time (same way you can ride Blue Hills if you live in Boston), but most people in all of MA are going to get in their cars to work/ride/visit other people and Boston provides as awesome a radius of great riding as many other places you can live in the eastern MA area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

We're back to 'reading is fundamental' again.

Anyone who doesn't know that there are great towns with riding right out the door in MA/SNH simply needs to get out more.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Where I live, I don't need a car to go to Dr's appts, work, store, mtb rides, or out to dinner) ; that is bike friendly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    At this point, I am guessing the OP has moved on to the VT/NH/ME forum.

Probably asking them what's up with those MA peeps :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Probably asking them what's up with those MA peeps :-)
    Right?

""I really have no need to go into Boston and am not much of a city person"

"BUT BOSTON!!"

derrrr....
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

The Riddler
    LOL! I think you may have accidentally logged into a mountain bike site rather than a roadie site and given the opposite of anything remotely resembling good advice.

As far as 'Boston focused', nobody where I live gives a f*ck about Boston and considers the whole metro area a place to be avoided if at all possible.
    The only time I go there is if there's a more convenient flight out of Logan than out of Manchester NH. Other than that, it serves little to no purpose to the majority of residents outside the 128 belt.
    I mean, I read this, and a couple other posts and just thought the OP might be served by a different opinion/objective facts about living/riding in/around Boston. It's a typical misconception that surprises most people when corrected, including other MA folk, so take it for what it is. Nothing personal, love riding off the top of Wachusett too and would love to be close to some Wally on tap!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    I love riding off the top of Wachusett too

Don't get caught!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Just sharing my experience living in Salem, MA. I have way more single-track nearby than anywhere else I've ever lived. It ranges from easy to brutal. And I ride to many of these trails from my door... or I take the train/drive.

I consider the following all proximal to Salem/North shore (thinking from West to East):

Lowell-dracut (maybe a bit far)
    Land locked forest
    Great brook
    Russell Mill/Billerica
    Winnekenni Castle
    Boxford SF
    Ward reservation
    Harold Parker
    Georgetown Rowley SF
    Middlesex Fells
    Lynn Woods
    Salem Woods
    Willowdale/Bradley Palmer
    Beverly Common/Greenwood
    Gordon College
    Chipman hill
    Cheever Common
    G-spot
    Mount Ann Park
    Ravenswood
    Thompson Street
    Dogtown

Also within weekend driving: blue hills, Wompatuck, foxboro, Vietnam, Fort Rock,

A couple hours out: pine hills, myles standish, all the cape cod stuff, leominster, pearl Hill, Groton SF, Wendell, bear brook (NH)

3-4 hours out: Charlemont, deerfield/Greenfield, pittsfield SF, Ascutney (VT)

And the Bay Circuit trail links a lot of the North Shore stuff together. Great for bikepacking!

Train and ferry service make for awesome trips. I just took the ferry out to Provincetown and bikepacked back to Boston over four days.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    They're a much friendlier group. As long as you don't mind getting strangled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    Just sharing my experience living in Salem, MA. I have way more single-track nearby than anywhere else I've ever lived. It ranges from easy to brutal. And I ride to many of these trails from my door... or I take the train/drive.

I consider the following all proximal to Salem/North shore (thinking from West to East):

Lowell-dracut (maybe a bit far)
    Land locked forest
    Great brook
    Russell Mill/Billerica
    Winnekenni Castle
    Boxford SF
    Ward reservation
    Harold Parker
    Georgetown Rowley SF
    Middlesex Fells
    Lynn Woods
    Salem Woods
    Willowdale/Bradley Palmer
    Beverly Common/Greenwood
    Gordon College
    Chipman hill
    Cheever Common
    G-spot
    Mount Ann Park
    Ravenswood
    Thompson Street
    Dogtown

Also within weekend driving: blue hills, Wompatuck, foxboro, Vietnam, Fort Rock,

A couple hours out: pine hills, myles standish, all the cape cod stuff, leominster, pearl Hill, Groton SF, Wendell, bear brook (NH)

3-4 hours out: Charlemont, deerfield/Greenfield, pittsfield SF, Ascutney (VT)

And the Bay Circuit trail links a lot of the North Shore stuff together. Great for bikepacking!

Train and ferry service make for awesome trips. I just took the ferry out to Provincetown and bikepacked back to Boston over four days.

Just did HP to Salisbury beach state res Bikepacking, lots on the BCT. Did you do some of the southern sections of BCT from P town to Boston?

mtbr member
    Nope. Did not. I've never ridden the southern portion.

I did go hear a talk at the library from a guy who hiked the whole thing. Pretty amazing to have that trail so close to Boston.