earls trails near the notch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

earls trails near the notch

how are they? i just heard about them. they anything like bachelor st.?? i generally like single track with jumps and drops...anything of that nature there or is all technical rocky stuff?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go and explore. If you ride B-street, it's only across Rt. 116 from Notch Visitors Center. You can easily hit some of both sides on the same ride. Over 40 miles of ST between both sides of the notch.

mtbr member
    Not to be a weiner, but it's actually about 36-37 miles of singletrack. And Earl's has 2000' of climbing in 14 miles. Yowzers.

No jumps, drops, or technical stuff (aside from a few very short sections). Fast, tight, twisty, flowy. Some brutal climbs, many ripper descents. Well placed corners. Racetrack fast. The terrain couldn't be more different than B street.

They suck if you don't like that kind of stuff.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    who doesn't like that kind of stuff?

fast, railable, flowy, buff... if you don't like 'that kind of stuff', you don't like mountain biking!

Even the DH kids love Earl's.

As for the poster... if I am reading you correctly, you don't like rocky technical but do like smooth trails with drops and jumps? I know of no such in the area. Unless you are doing 15-20mph at Earls (then there's a bit of air involved, but no 'drops').

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    Not to be a weiner, but it's actually about 36-37 miles of singletrack. And Earl's has 2000' of climbing in 14 miles. Yowzers.

No jumps, drops, or technical stuff (aside from a few very short sections). Fast, tight, twisty, flowy. Some brutal climbs, many ripper descents. Well placed corners. Racetrack fast. The terrain couldn't be more different than B street.

They suck if you don't like that kind of stuff.
    Is that 2000' up and down*? And where exactly is this place? I want. Thanks.

*In other words, is there a 2000' climb followed by a 2000' descent, or is it up and down the whole way.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula

*In other words, is there a 2000' climb followed by a 2000' descent, or is it up and down the whole way.

That's over the course of an entire ride. Depending on pace & trail choice, you'll climb for 20 to 45 minutes and there are a couple of sustained downhills that will take 7 to 10 minutes. Fun place, easy to get confused as to where you are but worth the trip from anywhere. Getting less buff due to erosion now, though... Some reroutes & deberming are in order.

mtbr member
    Earl's Trails, easily my favorite in MA (thus far).

For those of you looking for details, hopefully a low-quality GPS track will help. FYI, this track is only part of the trails at Earl's, and the milage # is low because of the iPhone's inferior GPS signal accuracy. Still, it should give you an idea of what's out there and where the trailheads are (Chmura Rd or West St). Next time I'm out there (maybe weekend of Oct 24th) I'll record and post a more accurate track using a Garmin.

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/42762074'></iframe>
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Mt. Greylock has 2000 feet of vertical gain (almost 2200, actually). Mt Everett (southwest corner of the state) has about 1800. Dunno about riding at either place, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thanks for all the replies! sounds like ill have to try it out. i love single track. if you see kid pushing a bike up a hill thats probably me. i only like going down!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    who doesn't like that kind of stuff?

fast, railable, flowy, buff... if you don't like 'that kind of stuff', you don't like mountain biking!

Even the DH kids love Earl's.

As for the poster... if I am reading you correctly, you don't like rocky technical but do like smooth trails with drops and jumps? I know of no such in the area. Unless you are doing 15-20mph at Earls (then there's a bit of air involved, but no 'drops').
    the rollercoaster at b street has few good jumps and drops on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrench2013
    thanks for all the replies! sounds like ill have to try it out. i love single track. if you see kid pushing a bike up a hill thats probably me. i only like going down!!!

Sounds like riding in the Notch/Holyoke Range is NOT for you then. Got to earn your turns there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    yea, no **** its not for me. lol thats why i go to mount snow, mount killington and places like that. in the meantime i go there its 5 minutes from my house. i dont mind walking it. i just dont get any more enjoyment from pedaling my bike up the hill than i do walking it. "i like to go fast" - ricky bobby

mtbr member
    Theyre not happy until youre not happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0