Earl's Trails Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Earl's Trails Conditions

I live about 90min North in VT.

Would love to get some riding in while we wait for the meager snowpack to rot to and the ground to thaw.

Anyone have any info on those trails conditions right now or where you think they might be in a few weeks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd avoid Earls right now. However, the other side of the Notch is dry and riding awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    I'd avoid Earls right now. However, the other side of the Notch is dry and riding awesome.
    Thanks. I'm not too familiar with the area other than Earl's. What is the other side of the notch?

mtbr member
    On this page - you want to go to the Bachellor Street parking area. Mount Holyoke Range State Park | NEMBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lower sections of earls are clear. bunker trail, swiss miss, lower glennabell.

But the riding over at Bachelor street on the other side is way better right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Thanks. I'm not too familiar with the area other than Earl's. What is the other side of the notch?
    Looks like others have steered you in the right direction. If you don't know B street, you're missing out on over 50% of the riding that's in the Notch. Be ready for super rocky technical goodness. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    With the cold temps this weekend Earls will be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It's funny how the riding culture shifts: 16 years ago, almost everybody rode B-Street and earl's was 'the other side of the Notch.' And now, while both are popular, Earl's has become demonstrably more popular.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    It's funny how the riding culture shifts: 16 years ago, almost everybody rode B-Street and earl's was 'the other side of the Notch.' And now, while both are popular, Earl's has become demonstrably more popular.
    When I'm up there I usually do a loop at both sides of the notch, but I almost always have more fun on Earl's. Maybe I'm riding Batch the wrong way (usually do a perimeter loop - down Rollercoaster to the parking lot, up entrance exam and the trails on the east side, back to Earl's across the top of the ridge). Batch always kicks my ass on that loop.

But Earls is pure fun. Real easy pedaling, and a ton of fun downhills. Big reward for very little investment.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I saw a blue Honda Fit w/ VT plates in the lot yesterday while I was heading out to ride. That you WoodstockMTB? It was a brilliant afternoon to ride. Crispy weather and bright blue skies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=SuperbMan;13067034]It's funny how the riding culture shifts: 16 years ago, almost everybody rode B

Both sides are popular, but it seems most people stick to one side exclusively and don't explore the other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If anyone is looking for an epic ride 30+ miles try doing both Earl's and BS and adding Lithia Springs to the mix. Depending on your skill level there might be some hike-a-bike but totally worth it.

For those of you not familiar wt Lithia Springs here are some fun trails over there:

From Earl's take LP down to LS. Take LS to DB and then head up to the paved road then cont. up to the summit house. Take DB back down and then take BR up to the visita and then LO down to LS. Lots of climbing and fun descents.

Refer to the map for trail names and locations. Most trail junctions are marked on the map and on trees by their assigned number:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/par...ls/holyoke.pdf
    Last edited by craig2007; 03-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Earls does get much more traffic these days, which in my mind, is a good thing. Leaves Batch to me
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dangur and Pulse Pro - I believe I've ridden with you guys correct?? At least one of you..
    Anyhow.
    Have you riddin Facing Rock in Ludlow? Super good single track in there and it's got it's own personality; different then both Earls and Batch.. Worth a look.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Dangur and Pulse Pro - I believe I've ridden with you guys correct?? At least one of you..
    Anyhow.
    Have you riddin Facing Rock in Ludlow? Super good single track in there and it's got it's own personality; different then both Earls and Batch.. Worth a look.
    Haven't ridden with you (yet, anyway), but we follow each other on strava, originally so I could see your routes at Facing Rock (thanks!). I love that place, and you're right - it is different than both Earl's and Batch. IMO it's in the sweet spot between the two.

I'm frequently out that way riding those trails. Purple trek, and (once the order comes in), bright orange helmet. Say hello if you see me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Delete
    Last edited by VTSession; 03-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thought I'd pop this back up and see what sort of snow you guys got last Friday/Sat and if the trails there are approaching riding conditions.

I drove by on I91 yesterday and seemed like shaded areas had snow and the mtn range were Earl's trails are looked like it could still have snow on them albeit I was on I91 when looking.

Thanks for any update!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I recommend avoiding the trails. Between the slushy snow we received Saturday and the rain today, things need to dry out some. But, I wouldn't doubt if B Street is good to go - it's all rock and south facing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Have you guys (in MA) getting rain the last few days? We are soggy here in VT..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rained gently all day today then POURED later. Will be very soggy in the woods... going to be a road type of weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    In case anybody cares...

Facing rock is good to go. There are a couple of wet spots, but for the most part, the trails are perfect.

I haven't been to Earls yet this season, but it can't be long till those trails are ready, if they're not already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bumping my own thread. Haven't been south in sometime, but last I head outside of the snow last weekend there is nothing down south. (I'm 90min North in VT).

This brief warm spell has me curious of Earl's trails are rideable or are they still too soft from the snow and freeze earlier this Winter.

Looking to get down in early March so anything could happen between now and then, but figured I'd ask.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still winter.

mtbr member
    Drove over yesterday, no snow but WAAAAAAY to soft, kept driving south to Robinson, still damp but not bad

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Tantasqua and Charlton St trails in Sturbridge/Southbridge are in good shape and should be ripping nice if it stays fairly cold to keep the 'sog factor' down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Checking in again to see conditions and if you think they will be rideable in the next few weeks.

Thanks!