Earls / some Bstreet 29er tire ????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Earls / some Bstreet 29er tire ????

Finishing my Niner build; hardtail.

What are some locals running for tires front/back? Size?

I was thinking 2.1 or 2.2 in the rear, possible 2.2 or 2.3 in front?

Looking to use this thing mostly for XC-- Earls stuff, crossover a bit to Bstreet for a change of pace..

Thanks
    Paul
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like the Maxxis Ardent in both sizes and Specialized Captain Controls in a 2.2. Rampages are great too......a bit heavy though.

mtbr member
    Paul, buddy, get yourself some Captains or Ardents. Go 2.2. FYI, the 2.2 Captain is bigger than the 2.25 Ardent.

Captains are probably the best bang for the buck tire out there. Make sure to get the control version, the s-works version has paper-thin sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the advice! I will look for both and go for the best deal! BTW- Captains are hard to find online!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Im using Stans rims -- Do I need UST or just regular with stans juice?

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Schwalbe Nobby Nics are great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Im using Stans rims -- Do I need UST or just regular with stans juice?
    Any bead will work with the Stans Rims. Chaz will hate on me for this rec, but if you replace them often, Nevagals are another great front option. Currently running a nevegal on the front and captain on the back of one bike - Ardent on the rear of the other. No substantial difference.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    Any bead will work with the Stans Rims. Chaz will hate on me for this rec, but if you replace them often, Nevagals are another great front option. Currently running a nevegal on the front and captain on the back of one bike - Ardent on the rear of the other. No substantial difference.
    I hate no people, only inanimate objects. I think you're providing poor advice, though. Look, if there's no substantial difference in traction performance, if why not get the tire that doesn't need to be replaced frequently, give you lots of flats, or shed knobs like malamute in the summer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Smelly,

I find the weaknesses of the Nevegal with tubes (flat prone, sidewall issues) are mitigated when running them stan's tubeless (on a flow rim). My front Nevegal on the Banshee has outlasted one saguaro and 2 ardents on the rear.

And, I haven't found another tire that has the front end grip of of the Nevegal either...but you have to go stan's tubeless with them. If you are a Tubes guy, don't use the nevegal (especially at B-Street!).

Oh, and all this only applies to the 29er version and only as a front tire.

Captain Controls are pretty good, huh? Does specialized still offer that free replacement deal on their tires??

mtbr member
    Front tires ALWAYS outlast rears significantly. I'm surprised you're making that moot comparison.

Look, y'all can run your Kenda tires and be happy. I don't care. But I don't wish those things on my worst enemy, so I'm not about to let you guys go giving what I think is bad advice. Tires are important, damnit! I got more flats in the year I tried running Nevegals than in the previous two years. The only tire I've ever ran that gave me three flats in a single ride - Nevegal. And it happened twice. Only tire that I've ever sheared knobs off or had rip open in a hard corner...Nevegal. It wasn't a bad pair - they were the hot tire, and I kept buying them. I went through like half a dozen tires that year.

Dunno if Spec has the free replacement. I rode mine until they fell apart and felt I got my money's worth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Spesh now has something like a 90 day replacement policy, they cancelled the lifetime policy because it was costing then too much $$$. It was the only reason I was on Spesh tires, now looking for a new tire to run at B street but on 26" wheels. And also hate Nevegals.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Advantage is a pretty rad 26" tire. Ran it for a few years at B street before going 29.

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Just ride 2.4 balloons with teeth at B-Street 'cause it's soooo damn crazy, gnarly, and well...totally radical.

mtbr member
    Hey just a heads up==

Just grabbed 2 Ardents - $24.99 each and combined shipping is $13 for both..
    He has a couple left:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

1 last question-- I plan on using these tires tubeless with Stans Arch EX's. Do I still need to use Stans sealant?
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 02-23-2012 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Don't need to use Stan's sealant, but you need to use some kind of sealant. You'd be amazed how many pinholes tires have/develop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Continental Mountain Kings!!! The best tire I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Another reason not to use Nevegals tubeless: they take HOURS to seal! My hands were so sore from the last seal session I swore I would never use Nevegals again. I'm using Spec. Eskar 2.35 in front and Captain Control in rear and have been very happy. I ride primarily at B-street.

Members who have read this thread: 0