Dry riding?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dry riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Dry riding?

Any dry dirt in southern New England to ride? We are still deep in snow in Vermont.

mtbr member
    Ha! I'm in central CT and still have snow in my yard with an additional 2" yesterday. I did get a good ride in at Bluff Point on Tuesday night before latest storm (on the coast...Groton). For me that's the only hope when snow gets deep inland.

Weather is warming up for the next week and ground will soften while snow melts. I expect most trails in Central CT to be very soft and mucky for awhile.

I did a day trip to Killington Sunday (ski day)...central Mass into southern VT appear to have less snow than me so maybe some trails in Mass will be better but NOTHING will be 'dry'.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    nope. Cape is getting snow at the very moment. Here alongside Buzzards Bay, I'm looking at an inch of slush which will freeze up tonight if it doesn't disappear this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yup, much of the mid to southern Pioneer Valley is snow-free. I rode my face off last weekend on dry trails out the back door. The storm last night only delivered a dusting to us, so rock n roll!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not North of Boston for a while. Going to be 2 weeks or so at least.

EAT MORE GRIME
    the old standard -- April 15 --- is likely gonna be valid this year
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    NorthEastern Mass has more problems than a little snow. When the snow clears the trails are going to be full of trees and branches from the past 2 storms. Several of us have been out already to clear blowdowns but there is a lot of crap on the trails. If everyone carries a hand saw for a bit the trails will get cleared a lot sooner. Come on spring

EAT MORE GRIME
    in my pack 24x7...even on road rides

it'll saw a car in half. silky bigboy 2000
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    I did 2.5 hours yesterday and only managed to clear 1.5miles with my surly and chainsaw.
    It’s rough out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mine is not quite that big. Where did you get that weapon ? I need to up my game and I want one of those

EAT MORE GRIME
    You wan the XL teeth

I got mine from
    Silky Bigboy 2000 360 X... | Forestry Suppliers, Inc.

anything 2 inches or less is two swipes most times
    big oaks...just take some time and care about getting the blade stuck but I've
    done huge work with my saw and levers made from branches/blowdowns

silky is the gold standard in pruning saws

banned
    Nov 2017
    Mid cape riding area pretty much down to dirt cept for a slushy patch here and there no ice. Stoked to get down there next weekend. Bringing the folding saw.

EAT MORE GRIME
    ummm

I am gonna have to admit some defeat here, cleanup after the wet snow Mar 2018,
    with just what I carry in my camelbak....

it seems absolute monster trees are down, everywhere. stuff I can still clear with the silky but it's gonna be hours, vs an hour or less. per tree. on BFRT alone there was a monster laying across the trail, broke both fences, and it's over 3 feet in diameter. 2 footers or less I will tackle then just go back home if I run out of time...but a 3 footer+ needs chainsaw not gonna lie. it's doable by silky but it's a long session with only a 14 inch pruner.

I feel like a puss now....sorry for my failure

probably gonna strap a gas can, husky, and some chaps on my back and head out fatbiking and do this 10 ton monster, if none get there before me

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Love my silky gomboy, 11.5 inches, works really well. The blade is somewhat fragile though, will last with care though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ummm

I am gonna have to admit some defeat here, cleanup after the wet snow Mar 2018,
    with just what I carry in my camelbak....

it seems absolute monster trees are down, everywhere. stuff I can still clear with the silky but it's gonna be hours, vs an hour or less. per tree. on BFRT alone there was a monster laying across the trail, broke both fences, and it's over 3 feet in diameter. 2 footers or less I will tackle then just go back home if I run out of time...but a 3 footer+ needs chainsaw not gonna lie. it's doable by silky but it's a long session with only a 14 inch pruner.

I feel like a puss now....sorry for my failure

probably gonna strap a gas can, husky, and some chaps on my back and head out fatbiking and do this 10 ton monster, if none get there before me
    Billerica?

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Billerica?
    Chelmsford

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you can't get to something, MV Nemba is always clearing out stuff. Post up there some trouble spots too, thanks.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Pavement is riding amazing rite now. Snow lined grippy pavement for multiple laps up the local mountain this afternoon. Ripping down the 12-15% switchbacks isn't much different than railing machine built flow trail cept the traction is even better.😀

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Yup, much of the mid to southern Pioneer Valley is snow-free. I rode my face off last weekend on dry trails out the back door. The storm last night only delivered a dusting to us, so rock n roll!
    What trails were you riding? I'm in S. Hadley and looking to get out this week when my new bike shows up. I was hoping something local would've dried up enough to save me from having to venture to far out to find rideable conditions and not destroy trails.

mtbr member
    I drove from central CT (where we still have lots of snowpack) up to Springfield area yesterday and rode Robinson State Park (Agawam) for the first time. Totally dry and no snow anywhere. We got in about 12 miles and had a great ride. Not the most technical place I've ridden but there's lots of nice twisty wooded singletrack.

I gotta say the State of Mass must be using their tax dollars to clear trails because I've never done that many miles of wooded NE singletrack without having to get over ONE log or a rock wall. The whole place was totally cleared so it was more of a high speed roll but a good workout.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I drove from central CT (where we still have lots of snowpack) up to Springfield area yesterday and rode Robinson State Park (Agawam) for the first time. Totally dry and no snow anywhere. We got in about 12 miles and had a great ride. Not the most technical place I've ridden but there's lots of nice twisty wooded singletrack.

I gotta say the State of Mass must be using their tax dollars to clear trails because I've never done that many miles of wooded NE singletrack without having to get over ONE log or a rock wall. The whole place was totally cleared so it was more of a high speed roll but a good workout.
    The state of Massachusetts has nothing to do with it: you're enjoying the tax free sweat equity of local volunteers.

mtbr member
    Sometimes I get frustrated by dry riding.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    The state of Massachusetts has nothing to do with it: you're enjoying the tax free sweat equity of local volunteers.
    this

what did I do last night ? rode 12.2 miles on the fatbike in 5-8 inches crusty miserable
    depressing snow, high watts low speed mind-killingly hard...to get to just one blowdown and saw it off the trail by hand...then rode back attempting to use my tracks so I could get a break.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott o View Post
    sometimes i get frustrated by dry riding.
    omg!!!!! But the ruts!!!! The ruts!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I’ll second what Liam said. The “volunteers “ at Robinson always do a bang up job!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm heading down to S. NH this weekend to visit some fam. Anything in eastern MA down to dirt? I'm willing to drive south of Boston for sure.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Well, to those who are keeping an eye on Robinson...stellar job and thankyou! It's about an hour drive for me and first time riding there due to snowpack in my locale (Central/Eastern CT). I did not run into one blowdown in 12 miles of singletrack.
    This place is great for intermediates - nothing super challenging but a few fairly steep climbs will push you. And for those that are used to more technical riding it's great to hit a place like this every now and then for some sweet higher speed singletrack. Those that ride there regularly have it good!

Of note...it appears the tornado that rolled through Springfield a few years ago hit some of the ridges and pine groves in Robinson. In some areas there were hundreds of downed trees that looked to be from one event.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm heading down to S. NH this weekend to visit some fam. Anything in eastern MA down to dirt? I'm willing to drive south of Boston for sure.
    You'll need to drive to the CT river valley in Western MA for dry, rideable trails.

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    You'll need to drive to the CT river valley in Western MA for dry, rideable trails.
    I tried to do a little recon yesterday evening and you're right. I rode from my house to Beaver Brook in Waltham and it was tough going.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    I tried to do a little recon yesterday evening and you're right. I rode from my house to Beaver Brook in Waltham and it was tough going.
    Bah!!! Damn. The wait for spring continues.

mtbr member
    Matt - Wompy is (fat) ridable with dirt, snow, ice but blowdowns are still a problem. Duxbury (too south?) I heard is mostly clear and should be down to dirt this weekend. Best to check the SE MASS FB group for on-the-ground reports.

[03.28 EDIT] - Talked to a rider at Wompy, sounds like its good for riding
    Last edited by OttaCee; 03-28-2018 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Blue hills is still a snowy, muddy mess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Matt - Wompy is (fat) ridable with dirt, snow, ice but blowdowns are still a problem. Duxbury (too south?) I heard is mostly clear and should be down to dirt this weekend. Best to check the SE MASS FB group for on-the-ground reports.

[03.28 EDIT] - Talked to a rider at Wompy, sounds like its good for riding
    Awesome, this is the update I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Awesome, this is the update I'm looking for.
    Riding Wompy today (Thurs 03.29.18) - Will let you know the conditions.

EAT MORE GRIME
    studs coming off the fatbike today....bummer.

still snow out there but I ain't hitting ice and them studded dillingers are heavy arse skins

mtbr member
    studs coming off the fatbike today....bummer
    Nice...a true sign that winter is fading away!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

@njcshreds
    I played around Arlington's Great Meadows last night and it was actually dry except for a few spots. It's a good sign - I was very surprised.

I suppose the rain the next couple of days may be a bit of a set back, but hopefully Saturday will be ride-able. I'm hoping to ride LLF Saturday... it usually drains well.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm hoping to ride LLF Saturday... it usually drains well.
    Make sure you bring one of these.....

It's a mess out there. I didn't have a saw with me today, but spent plenty of time moving what I could. I'll be dedicating all of next week to cutting. Good news is that it will provide plenty of barriers for the morons trying to cut every corner straight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I played around Arlington's Great Meadows last night and it was actually dry except for a few spots. It's a good sign - I was very surprised.

I suppose the rain the next couple of days may be a bit of a set back, but hopefully Saturday will be ride-able. I'm hoping to ride LLF Saturday... it usually drains well.
    Some areas drain better. Will it be thawed out? Snow to dry riding usually takes more than a week. Rain expected thurs/friday. So many trees and branches down everywhere. Done any trail recon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Riding Wompy today (Thurs 03.29.18) - Will let you know the conditions.
    UPDATE - Wompy is ridable 70% dry, 30% damp/mud/water. If you know the areas well you can bypass the wet trails. Bunch of trees still down but there's a big group going out tomorrow to cleanup for Sat/Sun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Any idea how Whipple Hill is? Some decent tech in there that's nice when AGM gets old.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Good news is that it will provide plenty of barriers for the morons trying to cut every corner straight.
    Fvck STRAVA.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Fvck STRAVA.
    Nearest I can tell, they're not even on Strava.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Nearest I can tell, they're not even on Strava.
    Then why cut corners???

banned
    Nov 2017
    Cape's gonna be good this weekend. Headed down tomorrow nite. Folding saw will be in my jersey pocket both days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Then why cut corners???
    They've also made several straight-line rogue downhill trails. Guessing it's just kids/teens trying to turn every trail into a speed run. None of the rogue trails have shown up as having a rider on them, and none of the butchered trails had any first page Strava movement for the first week after being massacred.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

it'll saw a car in half. silky bigboy 2000
    Huge thanks for recommending this saw. I was in need of a new one and picked this up. I put an hour in this morning trying to put a dent in the Groton trails. Awesome! My biggest complaint with it was my wife seeing the name and making fun of me

banned
    Nov 2017
    Just got done riding TOT. All trails encountered were clear and 100% as dry as summer. Headed back out tomorrow am around 10am if anyone wants to hook up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got done riding TOT. All trails encountered were clear and 100% as dry as summer. Headed back out tomorrow am around 10am if anyone wants to hook up.
    What is TOT? I am looking for dirt! Still have a few weeks up here in the Auburn Maine area before we can even think about dry trails.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Trail of Tears. Cape Cod. Although honestly the place hasn’t warranted the name Trail of Tears since the early nineties when the Moto trails that we so happily rode on our rigid bikes became MTB trails lol. And now there’s lots of easy B-line trails opened up that allow one to avoid the “challenging” sections. As bikes get better, trails get ghey’r. No bueno. Cmon down!!! And bring a hardtail!!!👍

mtbr member
    Duxbury - 99% dry with no trees down. Amazing conditions, will be my go-to spot on non-maintenance days. Felt great to ride without dealing with snow, ice or mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Uncool

Trail of Tears. Cape Cod. Although honestly the place hasn’t warranted the name Trail of Tears since the early nineties when the Moto trails that we so happily rode on our rigid bikes became MTB trails lol. And now there’s lots of easy B-line trails opened up that allow one to avoid the “challenging” sections. As bikes get better, trails get ghey’r. No bueno. Cmon down!!! And bring a hardtail!!!
    Ghey'r???? What is this, the return of Rog--good god I hope not....

banned
    Nov 2017
    Thicken that skin up some, hoss.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Yesterday I noticed new trail closures at TOT. The whole 2 mile Otis Atwood loop that has been there for over 15 years had brand new closed trails keep out signs at a couple entrances. Sign said something about the trail being illegally built, but we/NEMBA built it originally all those years ago. What is this world coming to?😳

Rain has stopped, headed out for a ride. Happy Easter!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Russell Mills and Wompatuck are good to ride.....no mud, no snow. Go get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banned
    Nov 2017
    Great morning in the woods. Rode from veterans beach in Hyannis and hit the trail at Sandy pond in west Yarmouth and rode sandy pond and mattacheese trails up to exit 7 then rode south 6 trail to arts trail to upper bushwood to south 6 to Mary Dunne then rode power lines and trail to old jail lane trails in Barnstable and rode those out to the community college then took trail and power lines to TOT, rode around in TOT out to Sandwich then spun home. Over 30 miles, 3 hours door to door. Love the connect the dots journey rides! Almost every bit of trail was free of blow downs and all trails were bone dry.

Git sum!

mtbr member
    Yesterday I noticed new trail closures at TOT. The whole 2 mile Otis Atwood loop that has been there for over 15 years had brand new closed trails keep out signs at a couple entrances. Sign said something about the trail being illegally built, but we/NEMBA built it originally all those years ago. What is this world coming to?😳

Rain has stopped, headed out for a ride. Happy Easter!!!
    I'm guessing the closures are some of the rogue cutoffs that have been popping up lately. Some hunters/hikers complained to the town and they're taking action. If they aren't on the official trail map from the town then they are illegal and being closed. The rogue stuff had really been getting out of hand so I can't fault the town.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WATERBOOY View Post
    I'm guessing the closures are some of the rogue cutoffs that have been popping up lately. Some hunters/hikers complained to the town and they're taking action. If they aren't on the official trail map from the town then they are illegal and being closed. The rogue stuff had really been getting out of hand so I can't fault the town.
    Gotcha, what a bummer. How bout all the new go arounds put in where the old section was left and not closed and buried with debris? Saw an old trail re-opened along airport that had been re-routed years ago with some nice hills and such. Another go around between the power lines and the fire road closer to rte 149. Old section still open and very rideable with this new featureless easy bypass. And I noticed quite a few more. The place is really becoming a messy spiderweb. Were all those braids/bypasses sanctioned?

Huge kudos to Cape NEMBA and others for all of the trail clearing out there. I brought a saw but never had to use it. I moved sticks and such a few areas but other than that.....

Oh, and that new mai li trail in old jail lane conservation area is gonna be super sweet once ridden more and bedded in. Great topography in there!👍

EAT MORE GRIME
    28.9 miles mtb recon saturday,
    30.9 miles mtb recon sunday,

all between chelmsford/westford/carlisle/acton/concord and all the
    less popular trails (townie trails and connectors so to speak) mostly dry except the low lying swamp stuff. but for f-sakes there are still 100% ice covered swamps ! and patches of snow in Acton !!! as I said I was hitting the hidden 'local knowledge' stuff.

anyhow, I carried a saw but there is still so much down I didn't saw anything, just recon...most of it can be pushed through, go-round just deal with gettin your face whipped a ton...the bridges around the pencil factory have lots of blowdowns so it is hike-a-bike in that area of acton. little bear hill wasn't too bad. in general, pretty dry,tons of sticks and whips though.

all this will need a summer of hikers sawing. to ride and saw, you are getting off your bike so much it won't be a bike ride, more a pain in the arse to have a bike.

oh and yeah about every 2 mile or so there is a MONSTER blowdown of some ancient tree that will need some big chain saw action.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Another thing I forgot to mention that may want to be discussed or mentioned at tonight's Cape NEMBA meeting is while I was riding Art's trail yesterday off of Willow st. one of those big side by side ATV's decided to drive a majority of the very tight singletrack of Art's all the way up to the overlook before dropping down the big steep dune hill. I was riding right behind them as they churned up earth and rock and old stumps trying to get thru there. It's amazing how much impact that one pass made. Gross. Wonder if bushwood is gonna be side by side width before too long.

@njcshreds
    I wasn't there, but I heard through a buddy that LLF was OK last night except for the 'usual' wet spots.

Once I get my trail bike back from the shop I'll start exploring and see what's what.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wasn't there, but I heard through a buddy that LLF was OK last night except for the 'usual' wet spots.

Once I get my trail bike back from the shop I'll start exploring and see what's what.
    Get a tree and branches down report?

@njcshreds
    I was told it was "twiggy" but otherwise clear.

[Thank you whoever cleared it!]
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's largely clear. Everyone has clearly been contributing. I cleared the last of the "big ones" for a loop I've been focusing on Monday. Still prime season for either riding SS or carrying derailleur hangers in bulk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Took a walk through the Fells - looks like the trail 'gnomes' have been out and the main routes have been cleared other than some fine tuning here and there. Pretty sure Fells falls into DCR APR 15th 'closure' rule but looks good there for 'opening' day. Please drop a note if any area(s) need extra attention - I only hiked / worked a few miles from S Border road & can put in some effort if needed at other locations...

EAT MORE GRIME
    My go to place to run my hardtail to many trails south of Chelmsford...this BFRT section is my 'gateway' to everything not Russell Mill or Lowell/Tyngs

and yes I am a wuss, my Silky -could- do this, but I don't want to deal with it

@njcshreds
    My go to place to run my hardtail to many trails south of Chelmsford...this BFRT section is my 'gateway' to everything not Russell Mill or Lowell/Tyngs

and yes I am a wuss, my Silky -could- do this, but I don't want to deal with it
    My dad sent me a similar pic when he was riding the BF trail.

I rode through Beaver Brook and Rock Meadow Saturday. There were some trees down around the main loop of Beaver Brook. The rest of the trails were clear.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)