Downhill winter fatbiking?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Downhill winter fatbiking?

Mind is drifting aimlessly. Any groomed lift service around? Poaching closed trails? Crazy thoughts? Anyone tried it at a ski area? Seems the demand might be there for downhill winter biking. Shuttles?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Folks do it quite often. descending down groomed ski trails doesn't sound all that appealing. Descending Snow covered hiking trails and tooling around up on open ridges in the presidentials would be way more fun. Imo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There are a few places that allow ski-bikes on the lifts and slopes, I'd imagine you might be able to get away with a fat bike. Definitely call ahead though.

Wachusett policy (I believe) still allows them but only on weekdays and only on the lower mountain lift. I've skibiked there just cuz it's convenient a few times, but got a lot of sour looks from the old-school patrol folks.

Crotched would probably be your best but, they allow skibikes on the whole mountain and have some fun slightly out of bounds stuff that would be a hoot on a fat bike. Best time would probably be their 'midnite madness' sessions, from 5pm to 3am every Friday and Saturday nights. They rock tunes and a bonfire all night too. Good times.

Jay has been good about skibike access. Not sure if anything's changed w/ the expansion.

I think Shawnee would also be a solid bet. They did MTB snow races for a number of years and would let you ride the rest of the mountain during those too if you wanted.

Riding a bike on the slopes can be a lot of fun. Not that it's gonna replace trail riding or anything, but once in awhile, why the hell not? Can get pretty comical, specially when you ditch brakes and traction altogether. A bunch of us ended up with these conversion kits that'll work with just about any bike. We'll usually do lifts once or twice a season and maybe a couple sessions messing around on our neighborhood shuttle run or pushing up and ripping down some of our XC stuff when the snow's too deep to ride. You'd be surprised how quickly they make sense when you get on one (to a point). Tell me this doesn't look pretty fun.

Last edited by slapheadmofo; 01-07-2015 at 11:00 PM.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I've ridden some small, abandoned ski hills in NH, and that's fun, but I'd love to find a long downhill that's shuttle-worthy. Open ski areas' snow is usually kinda soft.

mtbr member
    I e-mailed Loon mountain about it and while they allow Ski Bikes they don't allow Fat Bikes (yet)... maybe keep calling them and give them a reason =)

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    I e-mailed Loon mountain about it and while they allow Ski Bikes they don't allow Fat Bikes (yet)... maybe keep calling them and give them a reason =)
    ski bikes have skis with edges, fatbikes do not. i heard about a guy on a fatbike at stowe that got chased by ski patrol while he was mach'ing down perry merrell from the top. patrol never caught him and at the bottom he just kept on going down valley.

redtail or cranmore connector to cranmore and down would be fun. hurricane mtn road is closed to cars in winter so you could just ride right up and it's snomo packed right up black cap i'm pretty sure. shuttling? fatbikes climb way to well and fun to be shuttling them.

rog

mtbr member
    You mean this?
    Video: Aaron Chase Shreds on the Pivot Les Fat - Pinkbike

For us normal folks the fatty riding in N. Conway is pretty solid. No shuttling but the longer steeper faster DH is worth a push or two to the top.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    yo I emailed crochet about fat biking, they totally ignored the crazy dude talking about bikes... You said they allow it? for real?
    I would LOVE to go up there and not board, but bike. I saw two cool dudes riding ski bikes there once, but no pedal power? come on!
    Thanks!
    Jay

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yajbuilder View Post
    yo I emailed crochet about fat biking, they totally ignored the crazy dude talking about bikes... You said they allow it? for real?
    I would LOVE to go up there and not board, but bike. I saw two cool dudes riding ski bikes there once, but no pedal power? come on!
    Thanks!
    Jay
    Crotched allows skibikes for sure - been there a bunch of times on them.

Dunno about regular bikes with wheels. I'd recommend not creating further confusion by using the term 'fatbike' if you make inquiries: no one is likely to have any idea what you're talking about. (Though I hear it's damn near impossible for anyone that bought one not to mention it at least every other sentence).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That makes sense. Perhaps I will go on a regular trip with skis and boards and bring /show one to them... That way we would all be on the same page.

Gotta get up there once I'm shoveled out!