Are dogs supposed to be on a leash at harold parker?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ecibis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406

    Are dogs supposed to be on a leash at harold parker?

    I went out for a nice morning ride today, but when I pulled into Jenkins lot 2 doberman's (actually, they were all brown-maybe a different kind of dog that looks similar?) Jumped all over my car for a few minutes. I tried to lower the window several times to ask the owner if they should be on a leash but they kept sticking their snouts in my car and barking. I didn't want to get out of course with these dogs jumping up on the car. He was trying to call them from about 20 feet away, but seemed to have no control over them. Finally I backed up and was able to lower the window a crack to ask if they should be on leashes and he just started blankly and said no. This guy looked a little whacked so I decided to go to a different trailhead and do trails further away from him. Now every time I go there I will be looking for his van when I decide which trails to do.

    Typically I don't care if dogs are on a leash or not, but when they are aggressive like that it seems like common courtesy......

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    383
    In any state park in AM. or NH dogs are suppose to be on a leash. I'm usually a pretty laid back person when it comes to other people.

    About 3 years ago we were up at the white mountains on the lower falls with my 3 year old daughter. She was standing in the water playing and I was less than 2 feet away from her.
    When a guy and his german shepard come down the trail, the dog saw the water and flew down to jump in and decided the easiest way was thru my daughter. It happened so fast and next thing I know My daughter is under the water, almost swept away.
    I flew in got her and my wife took her.

    I lost it and went after the guy. I never have been that enraged. Luckily for that guy, my wife got to me before I got to the guy.........

    So, I freak on people when I see dogs running around without a leash... I'm sorry. You can say you have the best dog in the wold but you have no control of them if push comes to shove.

  3. #3
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    I have seen that guy in HP with his dogs. I was heading back into the Jenkins lot on the fire road, by the log piles, when the dogs came charging at me. The owner was still in the paved lot by the gate and made NO attempt to control the dogs. I jumped off my bike to put it between me and the dogs. The dogs were growling and showing teeth. Still nothing from the owner other than lame voice commands. One of the dogs was more aggressive than the other and started to bark and show more teeth. Then it went to snap at me and I hit the dog forcefully but not with the intent on harming the dog with my bike. This is when the owner came rushing over. I made a B line to my jeep.

    WE had a very heated exchange once the dogs were put away in his truck. The owner tried to tell me the dogs are like big puppies who just want to play. He was delusional.
    Watch out for this guy.


    Greg
    Voltron

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ecibis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406

    Yes, he seemed a bit delusional....

    I am glad I decided to leave the lot. I have never had 2 dogs trying so hard to get in a car at me. I felt like I was in a movie the way their snouts were baring teeth shoved in the 3 inches I would open the window to try to yell over to the guy. He acted like I was the A hole for politely asking if his dogs should be on a leash. Then the thought came to me that I might bump into him and the dogs on the trail and decided not to say anything else. The only time he approached the dogs is when he thought they would get run over by me backing out slowly to leave. I go there with my 2 year old sometimes and if we were walking that could have been a bad situation. Greg, what time were you there, do you remember? I usually go late afternoon, but I was there at 9 a.m. today. Thanks, ed

  5. #5
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    I am glad I decided to leave the lot. I have never had 2 dogs trying so hard to get in a car at me. I felt like I was in a movie the way their snouts were baring teeth shoved in the 3 inches I would open the window to try to yell over to the guy. He acted like I was the A hole for politely asking if his dogs should be on a leash. Then the thought came to me that I might bump into him and the dogs on the trail and decided not to say anything else. The only time he approached the dogs is when he thought they would get run over by me backing out slowly to leave. I go there with my 2 year old sometimes and if we were walking that could have been a bad situation. Greg, what time were you there, do you remember? I usually go late afternoon, but I was there at 9 a.m. today. Thanks, ed
    It was def. in the am when I had my encounter with the "dog guy"
    Voltron

  6. #6
    Huh?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    846
    I would call the Staties, They're right down the street and its obvious something needs to be done before the "puppies" harm someone. I love dogs but there is a leash law for a reason and dogs are always nice and friendly UNTIL they bite someone.
    On a side note I'd also call the cops if the dogs scratched my truck up jumping up on it like that.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I have seen that guy in HP with his dogs. I was heading back into the Jenkins lot on the fire road, by the log piles, when the dogs came charging at me. The owner was still in the paved lot by the gate and made NO attempt to control the dogs. I jumped off my bike to put it between me and the dogs. The dogs were growling and showing teeth. Still nothing from the owner other than lame voice commands. One of the dogs was more aggressive than the other and started to bark and show more teeth. Then it went to snap at me and I hit the dog forcefully but not with the intent on harming the dog with my bike. This is when the owner came rushing over. I made a B line to my jeep.

    WE had a very heated exchange once the dogs were put away in his truck. The owner tried to tell me the dogs are like big puppies who just want to play. He was delusional.
    Watch out for this guy.


    Greg

    If we ever hook up over there (going the 29th at 8am BTW) I can bring the pepper spray.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ecibis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    406

    I need some pepper spray, do you need a license in MA?

    Wasn't sure how to get it, but I would like to have it the next time I am there....

  9. #9
    Huh?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    846
    If i'm not mistaken you need and FID card. Easy enough to get at the local PD. Or you can always just go to the sporting goods store and try to buy it.

  10. #10
    Designated Bleeder
    Reputation: SpecialK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    315

    Dogs at HP

    There are no such thing as bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

    The law says that you must have a leash on your dog in HP, as well as a valid dog license and rabies tag. But I have never heard of anyone enforcing it. I have walked my dog there a number of times, on leash and off leash. That said, I have a 45 lb border collie who would be more likely to lick you to death than bark or bite.

    Too bad there are a lot of people that have no idea how to handle their animals. Don't blame the dogs, blame the jack ass that can't handle them... Hmm, is it legal to pepper spray the dog's owner?

    CK

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    104
    I agree 100% it is not the dogs fault but if you have a dog showing teeth and growling it is what is going to pay the price unless the idiot owner comes over to leash it. I am all for calling the police and making them enforce the law for this guy. Too bad for the other people with good pets.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    Wasn't sure how to get it, but I would like to have it the next time I am there....
    FID class D. Apply at the local PD

  13. #13
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,111
    There's a "2 doberman" post at the top of Passion too. WTF is up w/ pairs of doberman's harassing people?

    I can't stand people that let their dogs off the leash on trails. They always think they have control but seldom do.

    I'm getting me some bear spray.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.