Do trails like this exist anywhere in MA? (AM Content)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do trails like this exist anywhere in MA? (AM Content)

So after riding a little in NZ during my honeymoon and getting a Stumpy EVO this downhiller is really enjoying getting out and putting in the trail miles. It's been a blast thus far, but I wish there were trails remotely comparable to some of the trails I rode in NZ. For example, here's a vid of one area I rode (not me riding) that was an orgasmic experience. Is there anything close to this in MA??? Also, I've been to the newer trails built at Nam, not my cup of tea at all.

Seven Mile Mountain Bike trails- Queenstown NZ - YouTube

*edit*

I've been to Highland plenty for downhill. I'm looking more for pedaling and vertical up and maintained vertical down trails where you can get some roost on. Maybe Western MA?? Heck Southern NH?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We have plenty of trails like that, they are just covered in roots and rocks....

mtbr member
    Across the state line about 1.5 hours north of boston. Highland Mountain Bike Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy View Post
    We have plenty of trails like that, they are just covered in roots and rocks....

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I'm searching for the same type of thing, not sure if they exist but I can say without doubt you'll need to expand your search beyond MA and even Southern NH. I think the Green Mountains, White Mountains and possibly Kingdom Trails might have the bigger descents but I don't see it being nearly that flowy and smooth. If you're good with rocky/rooty NE style riding I think Western MA can get you at least 500-700 vert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Flow trails on a purpose built mt bike trails? Highland. KT trails, great xc, burke mt across the street too.

mtbr member
    That looks awesome. I'd love to build something like that and even know the areas to do it, but I've yet to find the critical mass of builders who are into that kind of riding and would contribute to the effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    That looks awesome. I'd love to build something like that and even know the areas to do it, but I've yet to find the critical mass of builders who are into that kind of riding and would contribute to the effort.
    I had not rode legitiment trail riding in probably 14 years since I started getting into downhill and am only now getting back into it. While I am enjoying the riding about these parts, I can definitely see why 29r's have taken off. They are frankly a better tool for the job for a lot of the trails in MA. After getting a taste of the not quite dh but not quite XC riding occurring everywhere (but here it seems) I'm hooked. The rollers, small 2-5 foot drops to flat, and pick&placing the front tire down rock gardens that first got me into the sport and progressed my development towards DH riding has brought back some memories. While it has been fun and has gotten me back into pedaling shape, I need more in the terms of speed and getting full on. Sustained up to be rewarded with sustained down. Where the trails that go down are essentially downhill trails, where flat sections can be pumped and doubled up, and where berms are so tight and flat out, that you're liable to rip your tires off the rim

Smelly PM me the details if you have some good areas in mind. I know people that would be down.

mtbr member
    The Allegrippis trails in PA are like that. Its basically a 30 mile pump track.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=83b88d6c16

Jester at Burke is super smooth as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Green Mountain Trails in Pittsfield, Vt are kind of like that. Fast and flowy with lots of tight, bermed hairpins, not much for jumps or drops. Probably not as long a descent as NZ. They're built on a hillside so you ride to the top(30-40 minutes) then back down(15-20 minutes). We went up and down 4 times, a different way each time.

I'd Huck That....
    Cheak out some of the videos from Millstone trails in Vermont. I heading up there in June looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Chaz, plenty of space and vert for such a trail where I've been working. It's a ton of work without mechanized construction though. Not sure I'm up for that many hours of work for a 10 minute trail even if it is 1000 feet of vert!

Not sure how many riders are into riding uphill an hour + for a 10 minute descent. If I'm judging wrong and there is a critical mass of 25 - 50 riders willing to build such a trail, PM me and I'll get you the western Mass work-day/site information.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did something like that at Burke/KT. It looks like they're just getting started on the mountain side. They have over 2000' of lift/shuttle accessible terrain to work with and are VERY skilled with the machines. IMBA did it in PA with less vert and no trail fees.

Working for a steep dh is tough. Even at Diamond Hill. Sure its only about a 200' climb but it feels like a lot for less than a one minute run. A 10 minute run might be worth an hour climb tho. That is what the trails are like in western NC. A short climb is 45 min.

mtbr member
    Films
    some cool vids here. MA NH VT ME are all represented

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The problem getting the kind of access and permission necessary to build something like this...on public land in New England it'd be damn near impossible to get permission to use heavy machinery to build such use specific trails over such a great distance.

Best bet---Berkshire East Ski area in Charlemont, MA. They are in the process of working with several other local land owners in crafting a KT-like riding destination. The owners of B'east are avid bikers and skiers, plus they own, not lease, that mountain. They might be very interested in creating a trail like this......How about it HADO-PV-any chance of getting something like this built up in greater Charlemont??

mtbr member
    Probably could be done from the X-Zip peak to the West Lodge area. That peak is less steep than most of Institute or the Warfield/Zoar side of the valley. As I said 3-4 posts below, need a huge dedicated and reliable labor pool, or a large pool of contributors to make this happen.

3-4 miles of single track then 2-3 miles of unidirectional double-wide, super buffed trail.
    Last edited by hado_pv; 04-04-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    Cheak out some of the videos from Millstone trails in Vermont. I heading up there in June looks awesome.
    Unless they've built some new stuff I'm not aware of, Millstone is NOTHING like that. A decent riding spot, but nothing like what's in that vid.

mtbr member
    Charlemont could be a sweet place for it, but the reality is that Charlemont is an hour from my house, and I'll never have enough time on my hands to go build it there unless I can quit my job and get paid for it (which I'd do, by the way).

I know some spots closer to the central pioneer valley, though like Liam said, no way one could get equipment in there. So it'd all have to be hand dug, which I know from experience would be a shitload of work.

I'd Huck That....
    Unless they've built some new stuff I'm not aware of, Millstone is NOTHING like that. A decent riding spot, but nothing like what's in that vid.
    Check out the video for Screaming Demon and the roller coaster trails. Not as big but still has a nice flow and some descent hits.

mtbr member
    unless I can quit my job and get paid for it (which I'd do, by the way).
    Or quit your job and not get paid for it like me...

But seriously if we get 50 people that seriously want it built - each donate or secure grants of a grand or two - it gets done in no-time.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    if you go to the link i posted and click "riding the ****" you see the style of trail were talking about. this was made by a handful of dedicated riders over the course of a summer, always a work in progress. no machinery, no money, just landowner permission. it's not far from leominster ma. have to look up the mofo's if you would like to ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger nh View Post
    if you go to the link i posted and click "riding the ****" you see the style of trail were talking about. this was made by a handful of dedicated riders over the course of a summer, always a work in progress. no machinery, no money, just landowner permission. it's not far from leominster ma. have to look up the mofo's if you would like to ride it.
    Ahhh ok. I was wondering which one of the vids you were referring to. Cool trail. Nice camera work too with the cables.

mtbr member
    yes Mark has done an awesome job filming and putting together vids; he doesn't get paid, just does it for for the love of making vids. the other vids are cool too if you have the patience to let them load. but anyways sunday river has added a couple of trails like this; lots of big berms and jumps, but you'll have to make the drive to maine. could hit KT then take Rt. 2 over to S.R. would be a killer weekend of riding, nice drive too!

Members who have read this thread: 0