The Desert - Marlborough- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

The Desert - Marlborough

Anyone ever ride the Desert in Marlborough off of Concord Rd?

May give it a try thi sweekend and am looing for any input on how it is.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Did you end up going to the desert? how was it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

where is the desert

hey whats up framingham rider here. where is the desert located in marlboro . never heard of it always looking for a new spot to ride. any good info, where is it ,where to park,kind of terrain .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey tmhar here is a link about the desert. http://www.marlborough-ma.gov/gen/Ma...ks/desert_area. never been there but I do live in marlboro. just recently started mountain biking and live near callahan in marlboro so thats where i usually go but i am wanting to go to other spots as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmuldoon
    Hey tmhar here is a link about the desert. http://www.marlborough-ma.gov/gen/Ma...ks/desert_area. never been there but I do live in marlboro. just recently started mountain biking and live near callahan in marlboro so thats where i usually go but i am wanting to go to other spots as well.
    thanks for the link. new rider here also just got back on a bike after 15-16 years off one. i go to callahan also , mostly early mornings because i work nights. if you are looking for places to checkout . these are some of the other places i've gone, there all pretty fun and a good skill level mix. if you go on singletracks.com you can checkout trails - look for landlocked forest (one of my favs) , rayburn out in worcester\millbury and russell mill in chelmsford also pretty cool and has a cool pump track .You can google russell mill and check it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

may try the desert tomorrow

will try to make a trip to the desert tomorrow in the am. will keep you guys posted tomorrow late morning of early afternonn to let you know what its like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

just rode the desert

just did a a.m. ride at the desert .very , very , very low key . it is 1 trail in, that has different loops that break off it and come back to the main (a.b.c.d.e.f.g). It started off promising a small down hill grade coming in with some logs half buried about 6-7 of them then a narrow gravel trail where you go thru a small stream bed . After that nothing to big logs to jump and thats it . Rode trails d,e,f,g today and if you want anything other than flat riding with not a obstacle in site this place is ok. if looking for anything else it is not for you . Some spots are very deep sand (like on a beach) ran into some spots with lots of broken glass , and even some shotgun shells. In fairness did not have time to ride trails a,b,c but i can not imagine anything great out there based on what i saw today ,and on the way out reliazed the logs on the way in were for erosion nothing more . Good place to go for a quiet ride with the kids or to relax and think but if your looking to really ride its not worth the trip -about 20 mins from callahan southside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Tmhar thanks for the review. Sounds like a place to go for an easy day. How far do you think you rode there? Also what side of Callahan do you do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Tmhar thanks for the review. Sounds like a place to go for an easy day. How far do you think you rode there? Also what side of Callahan do you do?
    hey whats up . do not know miles wise but i rode for a solid hour . yes it is a good spot for a easy ride , if you just want to get out and go . I do the south side of callhan alot because my kids are in kindergarten right down the street so it is closer for me to get a little time in. have done the northside a few times got lost twice so it kind of cuts me close time wise during the week. weekend i do try to travel to other trails . Fyi if you have ridden southside callahan the desert is a few pegs below that in tech stuff and size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I haven't ridden the southside at all but i've been there lots of times with my dogs. I find the marlboro side to be a lot more technical than the southside so the desert must be easy. the one thing i hate about the marlboro side is some of the hills are so hard for me not cuz of size but just so rocky and I have a hard time picking a good line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I haven't ridden the southside at all but i've been there lots of times with my dogs. I find the marlboro side to be a lot more technical than the southside so the desert must be easy. the one thing i hate about the marlboro side is some of the hills are so hard for me not cuz of size but just so rocky and I have a hard time picking a good line.
    where do you park for the northside? i go to that little parking lot on the left off that dirt road at the end of edmands. looks like there are 2 trails to start heartbeat maybe is the name of the trail . have gone there and got pretty lost . is that the best spot to enter or do you know of another

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thats where I start. I actually ride there but I go down the backpacker trail and to the bearclaw. Its about 3.5 miles but some decently tough climbing, into a meadow then back into the woods and down some switchbacks. Decent fun. I'm currently unemployed so I can meet up with you maybe one day and go through it if you want.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the feedback on the desert. I haven't gotten out there yet. Our dog walker takes the dog there and she said she thought it would be good for MTBing. Obviously she doesn't ride. Sounds like it could be good for an easy ride. I still may have to give it a try but at least my expectations are in check now. Is it a loop or out and back?

Never ridden Callahan but sounds like I may need to give it a go. Where do you enter from Marlborough? I have only parked across from the Millwood golf course in Framingham when I have walked the dog there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    the way to get into marlboro is to go down broadmeadow and when you might normally turn right to go down parmenter rd go straight. then it turns into a dirt road. there is a parking lot on the left which is a good spot to start from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Thanks

Yea .. thanks for the info.
    Also live in Marlboro and ride.
    Never been to this place.
    Someone mentioned to me once, but now have the details.
    Will put on the to do list.

We ride a couple times a week at intermediate pace.
    Diff local spots.
    Any wants to join or company ... let me know.

-Greg
    [email protected]

Jeff Muldoon .. name sounds familiar, but can't place it.
    Maybe kid's baseball or something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Slomo when do you go riding? I'd probably wanna join but not sure as I'm very green and probably wouldn't be able to keep up. My name may seem familiar but I doubt its me. Grew up in Hyde Park. Live out here now cuz my girlfriend's family is from out here. I could take you for a 4 mile-ish loop through callahan marlboro side if you want but be forewarned i'm just starting out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you guys organize a Marlborough/Callahan ride post it up here and I will try to join if I can make it. I am a newbie as well so sounds like we all may have the same pace/limits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Hey

Hi Guys,
    Sorry for my delay.
    Crazy family week.

Sure .. can join ya for Callahan.
    When ...next week is good.
    This weekend is out for me.

Getting dark early ..anyone else have lights?
    Prob not if just starting out, eh.

Lunch time ride is possible as well.
    I work from home a couple days.
    Say 12pm on a nice day next week?

-Greg
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can do next week anyday most likely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Wed?

Wed looks like a nice day. 10/13
    Like to meet at Marlboro lot at 12pm and show me your Callahan loop?

-Greg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah we should be able to do that. Pm me for my info

Members who have read this thread: 0