Deerfield riding next friday- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    65

    Deerfield riding next friday

    I'll be in Deerfield for a wedding next week. I heard about a sweet trail 15 minutes away that sort of requires a guide. I'd love to check it out next Friday if anyone is up for it.

    I also need beta on other local rides. How is keneth Dubuque forest?

    Thanks in advance for any info. I'm flying in from Colorado.

    Nick

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Nick,

    What time on Friday? How long can you ride, and what sort of riding do you like?

    We can certainly hook you up with a guide-Dubuque is pretty great-but you'll need time (it's 25 minutes drive from deerfield), The ridge Rides right in deerfield are great as well, closer but also shorter. Wendell and Batchelor St are also 20-25 minutes away as well-but like dubuque require time.

    Just post up time of day, and type of ride and how much time have you got.

    Liam

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    65
    sick. I pretty much have all day on friday. I fly into boston on thursday night, so I'll get up there that night. I would like to do the best ride in the area. I love technical and smooth single track. take me on the hardest ride you guys have. I want to see what the NE has to offer.

    is there good camping in these state forests?

    let me know what time on friday is good, and I'll be there. my cell # is 303-809-8942.

    Thanks,
    Nick

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    If you can find the time also check out Lynn Woods right north of Boston. Hard to find a more technical spot in NE. Closer to Deerfield Batchelor street is da bomb, and down about an hour south in CT Millers Pond it really techy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hado_pv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    I'll be around on Friday morning, and can give you a Deerfield Ridge tour. Follow up with Liam late in the day if you want to see Batchelor St or Wendell.

    The beauty of this region is the diversity of riding all within 20 miles...

    The only state forest in the area with camping is the DAR another option for riding too.

    Harold
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    I'll be around Friday afternoon and could give you a Batchelor Street tour.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Wigston-that's the offer to jump on-Smelly is the B-street 'guy'.

    FWIW:


    From Deerfield,

    Sticking to the immediate region-with a 25 minute driving radius:

    Deerfield-G-Field ridges and S Loaf North-Good ride, excellent trails-not the best 'showcase' trail system of the region, but literally 'out the back door' in Deerfield.

    Batchelor St/ earles Trails-25 minutes (15 minutes, Tim? Hope you have a radar detector ) 40 plus miles of Biker Built single track-as good as anything in all of New England. B-street is Rocky challenging-but somehow pretty flowy, and the Earle's side is Hilly, Fast, Tight, Turny, Smooth (for New England). Together They're pretty impressive.

    Wendell Sf-20 minutes-Equally good, some long stretches of trail rival (and possibly exceed) B-Street in Difficulty. The Climbs are significantly longer-but so are the descents. Wendell has a more wild and unmanicured feel to it then other riding spots in the region.

    Dubuque-20-25 minutes from deerfield. Miles and Miles of diverse, xc oriented, long biker-built sinfgle track. Very flowy, long steady descents and climbs punctuate the landscape. There are a few fairly challenging trails, but on the whole the riding is decidedly less technical than B-street or Wendell. For some, this is the regional favorite (usually those who don't list Batchelor st as their favorite)..a small, but significant minority will tell you Wendell is the class of the league, however .

    Finally, if you want to camp-a ride a generally lovely and well maintained, rocky, sometimes flowy, hilly singletrack filled state Forest there is the DAR in Goshen-about 25 minutes from deerfield

    If you were to branch out even further-I'd hit the Berkshires next (1 hour) and ride Pittsfield SF or Lennox Mt/ Yokun Ridge. And if I were going to ride vermont I'd drive 1 hour and 10 minutes to Ascutney and sample the best trails in VT. Yep, I said it.


    All these areas require a local guide to really suck the marrow from them.

    For easy self-guiding Millstone in VT is fun-but the Puddle Ducks really love KT


    Liam

  8. #8
    achiever
    Reputation: redwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    but the Puddle Ducks really love KT


    Liam
    Priceless

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    Just got back from a ride at Millers Pond in CT, did the play loop and the XC loops. It's not nearly as big as Batchelor street, but IMO it's much more technical....and that's saying something!!!!!

    If you can manage the drive, a little over an hour south (all highway) try and check it out. You will need a guide, but should be able to find one over on BikeRag.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan

    For easy self-guiding Millstone in VT is fun-but the Puddle Ducks really love KT
    Ha!

    With all the good riding in VT, it sure seems silly that those places have become destinations. I guess it's because they've been made accessible. But the way I see it,
    average trails + long drive + lots of Quebecois = no reason to go.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Wigston-that's the offer to jump on-Smelly is the B-street 'guy'.

    FWIW:


    From Deerfield,

    Sticking to the immediate region-with a 25 minute driving radius:

    Deerfield-G-Field ridges and S Loaf North-Good ride, excellent trails-not the best 'showcase' trail system of the region, but literally 'out the back door' in Deerfield.

    Batchelor St/ earles Trails-25 minutes (15 minutes, Tim? Hope you have a radar detector ) 40 plus miles of Biker Built single track-as good as anything in all of New England. B-street is Rocky challenging-but somehow pretty flowy, and the Earle's side is Hilly, Fast, Tight, Turny, Smooth (for New England). Together They're pretty impressive.

    Wendell Sf-20 minutes-Equally good, some long stretches of trail rival (and possibly exceed) B-Street in Difficulty. The Climbs are significantly longer-but so are the descents. Wendell has a more wild and unmanicured feel to it then other riding spots in the region.

    Dubuque-20-25 minutes from deerfield. Miles and Miles of diverse, xc oriented, long biker-built sinfgle track. Very flowy, long steady descents and climbs punctuate the landscape. There are a few fairly challenging trails, but on the whole the riding is decidedly less technical than B-street or Wendell. For some, this is the regional favorite (usually those who don't list Batchelor st as their favorite)..a small, but significant minority will tell you Wendell is the class of the league, however .

    Finally, if you want to camp-a ride a generally lovely and well maintained, rocky, sometimes flowy, hilly singletrack filled state Forest there is the DAR in Goshen-about 25 minutes from deerfield

    If you were to branch out even further-I'd hit the Berkshires next (1 hour) and ride Pittsfield SF or Lennox Mt/ Yokun Ridge. And if I were going to ride vermont I'd drive 1 hour and 10 minutes to Ascutney and sample the best trails in VT. Yep, I said it.


    All these areas require a local guide to really suck the marrow from them.

    For easy self-guiding Millstone in VT is fun-but the Puddle Ducks really love KT


    Liam
    What the hell is the deal with you PVNEMBA guys? Why is it everytime I read about you guys describing trails to ride, one or more of you can't help but bash K.T.'s? Here's a piece of advise for you: if you don't like a certain trail, i.e. Kingdom Trails, then don't friggin ride there! While I agree with all of your recommendations for great trail riding, I just don't get why you have to be so damn negative about some trails. I also find it interesting, Liam, that despite the fact that you seem to dislike K.T.'s so much, you did recommend P.S.F. as a good place to ride. While I agree it's got some awesome trails, it is also very, very similar to K.T.'s. Also, who's to say this guy coming in for some local rides wouldn't love Kingdom Trails. Maybe turn your brain on before your laptop next tme.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Did I just hear some quacking in this thread

    I don't dislike KT-It's one good day of riding a year (which I usually do, but not this year though.).

    But, poking fun at the KT hysteria is just, well, fun.

    Seriously , he asked to be taken on "The hardest ride you have to offer..." Does that Sound like the kingdom to you? Kingdom trails are pretty, nice and smooth and well-built with a few, truly unique trails. It's a great place to take kids who mountain bike, or a girlfriend who kind of likes biking (or to find a pretty Canadian french girl to become your biking buddy.).

    I guess we (PV NEMBA guys) all get tired of every time you see a publication on riding in the East (or New England specifically)-it's about kingdom trails exclusively. (I remember once one of those magazines actually listed Kingdom Trails in a top rides in Massachusetts because it's so 'close' they said.).

    I think the occasional forum jabs, which are mostly in jest, by the way, serve up a necessary corrective to a generally promoted over-statement about the triumphal superiority of Kingdom Trails.

    Taking into account he's staying in Deerfield, and that he's asking for the hardest ride we've got, I'd think steering him to KT would be a bum steer. And like I said, every visitor who gets shunted straight up I 91 to East Burke does themselves a disservice by passing tons of equal (and better) riding. That riding is a little harder to access than KT-but by using the forums, like he is, you can find many able and willing guides.

    Passing up a B-street/ earl's guided ride (that is 25 minutes from Deerfield) to chase down the promise of KT three hours away IS a bad idea. Who is to say? Me, I say it.

    And hey, I did a positive plug for Millstone, I can't be all bad.
    Last edited by SuperbMan; 09-28-2010 at 05:48 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    Why is it everytime I read about you guys describing trails to ride, one or more of you can't help but bash K.T.'s?
    Because we're a bunch of jerks. Quack quack quack.

    Anyway, I noticed that the only person not chiming in here is Nick, the OP. Nick, if'n you want a tour, I'm happy to lead you around. Drop me an email,
    Chaznielsen AT gmail DOT com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    181
    Nick, I'd be thrilled to show you around some trails in the valley on friday, I live just down the road in hatfield. Give me a call at 4135888113 anytime and we'll figure out a time!
    Hope you are enjoying W Mass!
    Matt

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by grnbkr
    Nick, I'd be thrilled to show you around some trails in the valley on friday, I live just down the road in hatfield. Give me a call at 4135888113 anytime and we'll figure out a time!
    Hope you are enjoying W Mass!
    Matt

    now you have 2 good offers from quality local rider guides...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.