Deer in the Winchester Fells- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Deer in the Winchester Fells

Last Saturday I was hammering along on the bike loop and came face to face with a sizeable female deer. It had to be at least 4 feet to the top of the back. I then saw another one close by. While I tried to get my cell out to take a pic they took off.
    My doctor told me that his son contracted Lyme Disease while riding in the Lynnfield area. Fortunately it was picked up right away and they nailed it with antibiotics. So I guess its good to check for ticks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    in other news, i saw a squirrel on the trail today

mtbr member
    Be careful - folks feed them and they can get really comfortable with human contact. I came to noise to noise with a buck in there last year. He ended up walking away but looked a bit upset about the lack of food.

FartFigNewton
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman829
    in other news, i saw a squirrel on the trail today

mtbr member
    its great to ride with friends

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hate being "noise to noise" with anything, turn the volume down!!!
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    So I was actually leading a group NEMBA ride when it happened - no iPods involved. I came around a bend quickly and he was in front of me with a rather shocked look on his face. He didn't move for a bit, he stood there and then we he did move away a bit I dug out the camera. The group actually caught up and he eventually moved off - although he looked a bit bummed that no food was involved.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    What is that, some watercolor painting you made for your grandma?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here in the georgetown/rowley/ipswich area we've got deer like New York's got rats. I've come pretty close to them a few times, never had any sort of "incident".

Checking yourself for ticks is a good idea whether you've seen a deer or not though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah on the Cape we have tons and they do pause like that a lot of the time when you come up on them. There was one giant one with a big rack (haha) at ToT that I came up on by chance on a dead ended trail this fall. We paused and looked at each other for a good 8 seconds before he vertical leaped like 5 feet and smoothly 180'd and ran off. It's a pretty awesome treat if you ask me. I've seen them up close maybe a hundred times growing up down here and never had any problem. The ticks though, that is another story. I'm actually on Doxy right now for a bite. Watch out for those little *****es.

mtbr member
    is the fells bike loop hard?

mtbr member
    So the pic is with a cell around dusk - you get what you get... The fells loop is a nice place to learn how to ride, so I don't think its all that hard.

mtbr member
    Actually most deer ticks get lyme from mice. And the increase in mice population (less predators, more food, more rain) is why there are more cases of lyme recently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    when you stop to take a break or to change a flat, dont put your camelbak on the ground. this is a great way to get ticks on you

Class Clown
    I saw the deer today (well technically yesterday). I was flying down the hill on Brooks Road heading east towards the exit to the street making plenty of noise as I bounced over the rocks and it ran off. First time I've seen one in the Fells.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've seen a few deer in the fells - more interesting though, is the abundance of lady slippers. If you see them, please tread lightly - they are an endangered flower.

Green Wrencher
    That is one wild looking flower.....looks like something out of a Little Shop of Horrors catalog

Class Clown
    What if I see a deer messing with those flowers?

Members who have read this thread: 0