Closest good mountain for DH riding from Boston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Closest good mountain for DH riding from Boston

What are some good mountains close to Boston that have lift/bus service up a mountain to ride down? Not necessarily full-on DH riding (I have a Turner Spot), but all mountain riding, where I do not have to pedal uphill?

Any that do mountain biking season passes? Where do you recommend?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Highland and Sunapee

mtbr member
    Highland Mountain Bike Park - Tilton, NH
    1.5 hours from Boston. Lift service focusing mostly on Freeriding and some DH. A 5 spot will be ok on the green trails but would get overwhelmed on most of the other trails unless you crawl down them.

Kingdom Trails - E. Burke, VT
    3 to 4 hours from Boston. They have a shuttle and some lift service as well. A 5 spot would be a better fit here. They do have Freeriding and DH trails but the majority are fast XC trails. You can shuttle all day or pedal all day. Lost of options here.

Sunday River - Bethel, ME
    3 to 4 hours from Boston. Never been but from what I've heard more like old school lift service trails. A mix of old school DH trails with old school XC trails and some newer Freeride thrown in.

Jiminy Peak, Mt. Snow, Sugarbush, Diablo are others that offer lift service DH/Freeride trails that are about 2 to 3 hours from Boston. Keep in mind none of our trails are like what you get out west. We don't have the Elevation so most of our stuff is up and down and isn't really shuttle-able.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thank you!

Do you have any recommendations for where to bike without too many hills closer to Boston? Last season I biked to Middlesex Fells from my home in Allston and I only lasted about 10-15 minutes on the trails afterwards. I am grossly out of shape and am trying to get back in shape, but it'll be a slow process...

This year I have a car, so getting around is (much) easier.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    http://nemba.org/ridingzone/places.html

And while you are at it, make a small donation to NEMBA so that we can all continue to ride these trails.... (and no I don't work for NEMBA in any fashion, I just appreciate the work that organization does for our sport)

mtbr member
    Lynn Woods isn't too far from you, right off Rt. 1, 15 minutes north of Boston.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    someone mentioned Sunapee. I had no idea they have downhill/lift access?

is it good???? really interested to hear

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How much climbing is there in Lynn Woods? What's the max elevation change?

Any recommendations on how to devise a 3-4 hour loop (with minimal long, hard climbs)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not sure of the elevation change, but there is plenty to play on in Lyn Woods.
    You can easily put together several 3-4 hour rides. Not sure what your looking for DH wise as its mostly Technical riding with easy stuff on the south side. Stay on the north side, hit up Overlook, Balanced Boulder, Aculpulco, Chicken Soup, X-trail and new trail. Then head to the ridge. Before or after that, Ride Beaver trail, Sweeney and Sharks tooth, Some fun over by Eifel Tower and powerline trails. The DH out or down from Skull rock is the bomb!
    More All mountain riding than DH but I guarntee you will like it.
    Maps at DieselBikes.com
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears
    Not sure of the elevation change, but there is plenty to play on in Lyn Woods.
    You can easily put together several 3-4 hour rides. Not sure what your looking for DH wise as its mostly Technical riding with easy stuff on the south side. Stay on the north side, hit up Overlook, Balanced Boulder, Aculpulco, Chicken Soup, X-trail and new trail. Then head to the ridge. Before or after that, Ride Beaver trail, Sweeney and Sharks tooth, Some fun over by Eifel Tower and powerline trails. The DH out or down from Skull rock is the bomb!
    More All mountain riding than DH but I guarntee you will like it.
    Maps at DieselBikes.com
    Thanks.

Given the physical shape I am in this year, I was looking for a lift-up/bike down experience, but I don't mind small hills and going at it for 3-4 hours a ride. I really am not looking to do downhill riding; I much prefer technical single track (which I have found at several mountains, that will cart my large ass up the hill, and let me ride down

I'm glad Lynn Woods is recommended -- it seems exactly what I want!

Members who have read this thread: 0