charlemont trails map- Mtbr.com
    Parking Lot Poser

charlemont trails map

i wanna go check out the trail system in charlemont, and i'm pretty sure i can get a map at zoars.

anyone know if there are cue sheets available with recommended loops?? are the trails well marked??

interested in around a 15-20 miler

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Trail maps are supposed to be here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdhcboeq0q..._3_14.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyls86kusw..._3_14.jpg?dl=0

I can't hit them from behind my current firewall/security settings, though.

Very easy to do 15-20 miles.

Best loop, IMO is on the south side (Berkshire East). It's also the easiest to follow. The base loop here is about 7 miles, with another 3 mile sub-loop at the top to make an even 10 on the nose. Start climbing on the west side (wilderness brook trail). Take that up to Silver doe or Hawks Brook to MST. MST intersects E. Stranged Moose at the highest point of the loop.

For the 10 mile loop, go left onto Moose, down to farmer's life/daughter (and maybe one other trail in there somewhere...) then through the solar panel field to hook back up with MST, which will bring you to the "summit" intersection. Right Left onto the section of E. Stranged Moose that you haven't done yet. You'll follow that to the end, then hop on a bit of doubletrack, to Billy's. Drop your seat and enjoy

For the 7 mile loop, go right onto Moose when you first get to the summit intersection (bypasses the optional summit loop). You miss a lot of awesome, not-too-climby riding this way, though.

South side is a bit more complicated. If you parked at the BEast, you can ride over, but I recommend climbing Riddle Road rather than going up King Phillip's trail. Last time I was there, KP's was very hard to follow, and an absolute leg killer.

Honestly, if you're not proud or an endurance machine, I'd just drive over and park at the Warfield House. Take the double track out to the field, cross it, then bang a left on the dirt road. After a little climbing you'll come to Sweet 16/Game Trail. It eventually pops back out on that same dirt road. Follow that up and around the old logging site, and at the top you'll see Red Zone. It's another awesome DH. It pops out close to Rice Brook.

Heading back to the car, keep an eye out for the Zoar-Warfield Connector on your right off the doubletrack. That will take you to TV Tower, a climb up to Warfield Mountain peak, where you can hit Summit, Lost, and Happy Days. One of those is a flowy, fast, swoopy ride through a beautiful, old-growth maple grove. I highly recommend it.

You can also hit West Side from the end of the ZW Connector. It's a fun downhill, and I highly recommend it, but the problem is you have to climb back to your car... Unless you rode over from BEast.

Others will chime in with suggestions/corrections to this loop.

Have fun. I'm jealous. I haven't gotten out there as much as I wanted to this season.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

Parking Lot Poser
    thanks a million!! what kinda mileage is the north side loop?

the dropbox didn't work but i was able to print these...
    Charlemont Trails | Town of Charlemont, MA

i would really like to get a few of the official trail maps. i would gladly pay for them plus the stamp and include some beer money if you or anyone wants to PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Check Zoar and BEast/Thunder mountain. They might have maps.

Also check out Strava (if you have it). Just view the map of any of your rides, then pan the map over to Charlemont. All of the XC trails will be there, and labelled.

If you include the blue trails on the eastern half of the north side in the North Side Loop described above, you come out to over 16 miles. So that doesn't include the BEast side.

Parking Lot Poser
    I went up on Thursday to explore, and was able to navigate without too many issues. I found the signage spotty....

I parked in the Berkshire east lot and started clmbing on the bozrah brook trail (I assumed this was going to turn into the wilderness brook trail). It was a ways up before any signage, and I made it to an intersection of silver doe and the pond trail (the latter is not on the map).
    I then came out and could've gone left or right on estranged moose. I went left, and came out onto Billy's.

That was as much sustained climbing as I have done since I have ridden the VT50. Little did I know about riddell rd to game trail....wowser!!

Back at the car I was feeling good and decided to ride across and up riddell rd (that was intense). I turned onto game trail which apparently turned into sweet 16. Saw a good sized porcupine on the way down 16, scared the sh!t outta me at 1st cause I wasn't sure if t was a skunk or what.. Continued up to take red zone down to rice brook, (almost went right by rice brook) those were 2 awesome trails.

I had planned to take the zoars warfileld connector to upper/lower west side, but my legs locked up once I turned the corner after the wooden bridge (bridge rd). I soft pedaled to the top and an opted for self preservation and went out to the inn and down the pavement.
    Bummed I missed out on the last bit, but I think 2/3 of the ride was uphill and my legs had no more to give.

Had a fun time, wold like to come back and get a tour at some point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the report! Sounds like a big, awesome, day. I hope my directions were at least usable. FWIW, you hit most of the good stuff.