Carpooling from Boston?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Carpooling from Boston?

I moved from the West Coast and its time I hit the trails. But here is the problem: I don't own a car. On occasion I'm willing to use Zipcar to do a ride, but I don't want to do that all the time unless I'm splitting costs.

Are there any groups that carpool from Boston? Honestly I'm looking for any solution besides getting a car, so if you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You can ride the Orange Line to Oak Grove and catch some riding at Fellsway. You can take the Lowell Line out to Lowell and ride the trails along the river. There is also the Downeaster Amtrak out of North that goes to points north that you might be able to coordinate some riding.

I've not done any of this, just ideas. Others might have some better ideas because I don't know all of the spots closer in to town. Also a relative newbie to the area...

mtbr member
    Wompatuck State park is a short ride from the Cohasset commuter rail station
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I should have added Willowdale state forest and Bradley Palmer are a short 4 mile ride from Ipswich Commuter rail station. You could get lost in there for a least a day...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great responses, thank you. I'll check out trail reviews and see what gives the most bang-per-buck (per-hour?) for XC riding. Just learned green line doesn't allow bikes, but that isn't a big deal.

My other plan is to try to catch a NEMBA group ride. Looking at the last year of posts it doesn't look like people coordinate rides through mtbr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
    Great responses, thank you. I'll check out trail reviews and see what gives the most bang-per-buck (per-hour?) for XC riding. Just learned green line doesn't allow bikes, but that isn't a big deal.

My other plan is to try to catch a NEMBA group ride. Looking at the last year of posts it doesn't look like people coordinate rides through mtbr.
    You can chack out Boston Nemba's FB page
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Join the FB pages of Greater Boston, North Shore as well as Merrimac Valley. Sometimes I leave work @ 4:30 from Brighton and "spin " the 14 miles up the Minuteman bike path to the Land Locked Forest group rides in Burlington. At the end of the MM bikepath, lots of trail options exist. The LLF, Great brook and Russel Mill. The Fells is close to Boston as well. The Blue Hills south in Quincy/Milton you can pedal to as well.

@njcshreds

You mentioned the green line - where in the city are you? What neighborhood?

It can take some getting used to, but look into buses. Most of them have a bike rack in the front and they can be useful getting to places the train doesn't go. Not that I'd suggest coming out to Waltham where I am now - but there's a bus stop .5 miles from the state land trails I ride for example.

Just be warned that the bike rack won't accommodate fat tires. One of my bikes has 2.4" Holy Rollers and they fit very snugly in the rack.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks again for the replies. GoingNowher - I'm near Fenway. I'm nervous on depending on the bike racks being free, would hate to get stuck out of town.

I think I'll try riding Fells tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks again for the replies. GoingNowher - I'm near Fenway. I'm nervous on depending on the bike racks being free, would hate to get stuck out of town.

Just be sure to ride the bike legal trails only, visit the web site and/or get a map.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I downloaded the map. Just rode the Minuteman since I figured out in the last moment that the orange line doesn't allow bikes when I would have been returning. Slowly but surely figuring this out.

@njcshreds

I'd be more worried about an older bus without the racks running more so than the racks being full. Each rack holds 2 bikes and I RARELY see even one slot being used. Unless you are taking some crosstown or express bus they'll run regular enough that you won't be stuck for long.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OP, GB Nemba has their opening day big event this Saturday at the fells. Be sure to check it out, arrowed routes and all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Crap! Upset I missed this. I now see that they have Wednesday/Thursday social rides, I'll try to make one of those. Otherwise I'll keep an eye open for bigger events.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Crap! Upset I missed this. I now see that they have Wednesday/Thursday social rides, I'll try to make one of those. Otherwise I'll keep an eye open for bigger events.
    Just friend them on FB to get the updates/ ride schedules.