Cape Cod Trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cape Cod Trails

mtbr member

Cape Cod Trails

I'm heading to the Cape in late August for a vacation with the family and hoping to sneak away and ride for a day. Just looking for trail suggestions and information. I'll be staying in Dennis. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

!snotrocket!
    Dennis is about half way between 2 good spots. to the east in Brewster is nickerson state park and to the west in Barnstable is the trail of tears. both are fun and maped. seeing as you will be riding in august I would go for nickerson, it has a ton of great swim spots.

mtbr member
    Otis in Falmouth is a great place for some aggressive and fast mountain biking. I went there once and am planning to head back, but I'm waiting for a frost to happen to avoid the ticks. I had one crawling around on me and I peeled it off before it dug in so I consider myself pretty lucky. There is a high rate of lymes carried by ticks in cape cod as well to add to the displeasure of those horrible creatures.

mtbr member
    There should be a sticky for Cape Cod trails questions.

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Otis in Falmouth is a great place for some aggressive and fast mountain biking. I went there once and am planning to head back, but I'm waiting for a frost to happen to avoid the ticks. I had one crawling around on me and I peeled it off before it dug in so I consider myself pretty lucky. There is a high rate of lymes carried by ticks in cape cod as well to add to the displeasure of those horrible creatures.
    Why wait? Just use some water resistant bug spray.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman View Post
    I found that to be pretty useless against those beasts. It's a bit of a haul for me anyway as I'm from the Boston area, so I'll wait until I have less to battle so that I can have a more enjoyable time.
    Another tip is to make sure you bring an extra tube or at the very least a patch kit. The thorns will bite your tires. The tips we got before going out there were about ticks and flats. I got the tick, my gf got the flat (but luckily right at the end of our ride).

mtbr member
    I live in Dennis and ride Trail of Tears all the time. Most of us down here run tubeless.
    Here's a link and a map. EASY TO GET LOST THERE.
    http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/Trail_of_Tears.html
    Nickerson's trails don't flow as well as TOT.
    Willow St is another place, but TOT is great, fast fun. Bring a 29er
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman View Post

The only thing that works for me water resistant lotion. I like 3m Ultrathon. Just be sure to rub it in. Don't just slather it on and let it evaporate.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the reccomendations. I'm probably gonna be able to get out twice and am planning TOT and possibly Otis. Really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you can get to otis on a Thursday evening get a hold of Jim at sail world of cape cod in Buzzards bay.
    he does a weekly ride there he knows the trails very well and was able to put together a nice mixed ride.

mtbr member
    Any trail maps available for Otis? I checked the trail review section and didn't see anything.

JBH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    There should be a sticky for Cape Cod trails questions.

Agreed...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dango Dog View Post
    Any trail maps available for Otis? I checked the trail review section and didn't see anything.
    The only map I've ever seen I got from True Wheel cycles in Pocasset. Which is long gone. Otis is tricky. You can almost always hear the highway, so you never get too lost, but its windy and there are lots of trails and they all look the same.

Best bet is to head out from the rt 151 parking area and stay rightish until you get to the powerlines. Then cross the powerlines and stay right until you're following the railroad tracks. Then just follow the singletrack. If you're following the railroad trail (we call it the orange trail) then at the end turn left and just stay on the best singletrack and you should hit graveyard. Then just follow that and go nuts. The highway runs north-south so just keep it on your left. Ride around and just keep heading northish until you either get tired or get to the rotary. Then ride towards the highway and follow the highway singletrack south directly to your car.

There's a lot more to it than that, but for me to try to tell you is futile. Don't worry, the trails there are fun and flowy and you can't really go wrong. Except by taking the wrong turns you can end up doing a lot of extra climbing, but what goes up, comes down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    try bike rag .com they have rough map.
    I agree w/ icecreamjay head right from the parking area and ride keeping to the right.
    easy to get lost but also easy to follow the highway back to your car.

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dango Dog View Post
    Otis
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Check out the blog " How to Ride Otis" and the Frances Crane Reservation Map (West Side)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    tot was fun! old link from when i went. i did get lost! was out for 4 hours at least but got out after a few phone calls!

http://forums.mtbr.com/massachusetts...od-532973.html

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help everyone. Here are links to the maps I was reccomended and was able to find. Looking forward to riding both areas.

Otis/Crane WMA:

https://www.300committee.org/documen...nCrane_000.pdf

https://www.300committee.org/documents/Craneeast.pdf

https://www.ragemtb.com/maps/otis/otismap-color.jpg

Trail of Tears:

https://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/co...ides/WBARN.PDF

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    wow i never knew there were trails on the other side of those railroad tracks. i kinda made a 9 or so mile loop out there a little while ago and have been just riding the same one over and over.. can't wait to get out there this weekend and adventure over to the other side of the tracks.