Cape Cod- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cape Cod

mtbr member

Cape Cod

I might possibly be moving to the Cape for work. I'm excited about the possible job and yes the ocean but damn scared of losing my beloved topography! So I've been doing my research. And contrary to my beliefs the Cape does have riding. I read about Otis, Nickerson, and TOT. When I interviews last week I brought the running shoes and hit TOT. I was very impressed with the flow and it looked perfect for my rigid singlespeed. I know there won't be the climbs I'm use to but is there anything semi-technical? My next biggest questions is how much riding is there? From my research I would quess-timate ~50-60 miles of singletrack? Is there more? Obviously there is locals only stuff but I know those rules. National Seashore? What about back on the mainland? Anything close by? Just looking for more info (and these forums have been immensely helpful in my MTB life)!

mtbr member
    Oh, and any good LBS!?

mtbr member
    I live on the Cape and ride TOT at least twice a week. It's SS 29er heaven,but also some really nice climbs on the northern side.
    You can ride for several hours and not hit the same trail twice.
    Read here
    Trail of Tears
    Check out the map
    http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/con...ides/WBARN.PDF
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    TOT isn't as flat as you may think. Go over to Sandwich side. but disable all your low gearing then tell us how flat it is. nothing is technical unfortunately. Otis is better for that,especially the stuff that appeared or I found a few years ago. Hyannis/Yarmouth for work week rides. Nickerson is good if you live in the area but not worth my time to travel there by car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    TOT is definitely a blast. What part of the Cape are you moving to, and how far are you willing to drive? Wompatuck, Foxborough, Freetown, Pine Hills, Borderland, and others might be doable, depending on how far out on the Cape you are. CHeck the Nemba ride list, believe there's a weekly TOT ride.

Good luck!

On the LBS front, Dusty over at Smalti Bikes in Harwich helped me out when I tore up my derrailleur and a bunch of spokes in TOT. Smalti Bikes
    Last edited by Plummit; 06-05-2012 at 04:06 AM. Reason: added LBS

!snotrocket!
    not sure about the exact milage but, there is a ton of single track on cape. the three main riding areas are otis, tot and nickerson. we also have willow st, grenough and weir rd which can all be linked together. you may be able to find maps for all these places but none of it is marked or singed so jumping on with one of the group rides is the best way to figure it out. you mentioned the national seashore, a lot of it can be ridden on a standard mtb but, a fatbike is the weapon of choice for up there. 43,000+ acres of st, fire road,high bank and dune riding. the east end of the cape is super buff and smooth and as you head west it gets rockier and more tec. there is a trail system for whatever you in the mood for.
    as plummit mentioned there are a few spots just over the bridge pine hills, duxbury woods and wapatuck are all off rt3. to the south and west you have freetown, abrams rock and foxboro all within 1 hr from the bridge.
    as far as bike shops on cape go... they tend to cater to the family rail trail set. great if you need a tube or a water bottle but, if you want to go look at bling not so much.
    coastin' along

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys! I got the job, its in Sandwich. When I go out soon to look for places to live I might bring the ride, I ran a bit in TOT and liked the flow. Those places on the main land sound nice if I need to mix it up on the weekend. I'll keep an eye on the NEMBA site; we do a nightly group ride here and its the highlight of the week, plus a good way to meet people. On that note; if anyone knows of places to rent near Sandwich... haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    you can buy my parents house

38 crestview drive east sandwich ma.

its on mls

5 min to tot and can walk to scorton creek for some of the the best fishing around.

mtbr member
    Haha, at 24 and with this being my first "real job" buying a house it sort of out of the question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    if your 24 you don't want to live in Sandwich. As long as you have a car I would suggest Hyannis but careful of the area. Not much night life in Sandwich. But if your the queit type you may be able to find a little cottage for rent down off of plowneck road in Sandwich. Near to the beach etc.

West Barnstable is a great little area too with some cool little pubs and right on the water. Great Kite surfing seen near by as well down at Chapin. TOT would be close enough.

If you surf I suggest living up in Brewster/Orleons area. You'll have riding over at Nickerson. If I was to live and work on the cape again this would be the area I would choose since its right on the National Sea Shore.

There are some great trails on the cape but the riding scene is slim. There are a few core people that ride but its nothing compared to the masses up in the Boston area. I would rarely run into people on the trails...not always a bad thing I guess.

You may want to considerd Downtown Plymouth as well just off the cape. Its a great area and lots of rentals. Since Sandwich is right over the bridge it would only be a 15 drive for you. You could ride pine hills and be closer to wompituck, blue hills, nam and north shore riding. Living on the cape can suck you in and you may never cross the bridge again....trust me it happens.

mtbr member
    I've heard that before, Hyannis is the place for young people. The only thing I like about Sandwich is proximity; easy ride to work. Though I though West Barnstable would be cool, close to TOT, split the difference.

Also with Sandwich right next to bridge. Don't scare me with talk of never leaving! I hope to make it to the Whites on some weekends for peak bagging. Plus Boston for some fun every no and then.

As for wind surfing, kite boarding, and surfing; hell yes! Any tips? Some guys I ride with here surf the cape and I so very badly want to pick these up. I know Lower is better but again, want to be close to job/bridge.

I also liked Falmouth but everyone says the commute is a b*tch with the Base in the way. I like quite but definitely want to be close to something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    talk to the boarding house in Hyannis for surfing. Talk to air support in yarmouth for kite surfing.

mtbr member
    Few words of advice: DO NOT MOVE ON CAPE! I'm 23, work in Falmouth, and rent in sagamore beach.

Best shop around would be Series Cycles in plymouth, which is approx 15 minutes from the sagamore bridge. Check out this facebook group to find people to ride with: http://www.facebook.com/groups/234510909911186/

mtbr member
    Doro- I think surfing first as I am poor, kites cost too much but thanks for the heads up.

Darkz- Really, why do you say that? I figured coming over the bridge all the time would be a huge hassle. Plus I figured I'm working there, why not go all the way and live there, after all it is the Cape?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not sure why anyone would recommend living in Hyannis unless you have a huge rental budget. If you don't, you'll end up living somewhere surrounded by less than desirable company.

Barnstable and Sandwich may not have "night life"..But you can feel safer knowing you don't have as much a chance of your car or home being broken into. If you want to ride to work, those would be the places to live. There are other options, but it's really hit-or-miss what type of neighborhood you can end up in.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the head up on Hyannis! I'm really into the "party scene" much, which seems like that is all Hyannis has over other places, a few bars. I definitely want safety and I relish quiet, nice, spaces. And yes I am finding rent to be expensive, plus no one has a place for one guy. I really didn't want to have to live off the Cape, I hear the bridge traffic can be bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    Not sure why anyone would recommend living in Hyannis unless you have a huge rental budget. If you don't, you'll end up living somewhere surrounded by less than desirable company.

Barnstable and Sandwich may not have "night life"..But you can feel safer knowing you don't have as much a chance of your car or home being broken into. If you want to ride to work, those would be the places to live. There are other options, but it's really hit-or-miss what type of neighborhood you can end up in.
    I agree 100%. I lived in Hyannis when i was young. It was terrible to say the least. It shouldn't even be an option. Sandwich is very nice area. One of the few towns on cape I wouldn't mind living. I prefer the lower cape though... Be warned, any rental on cape is going to be very expensive...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up everyone. The only thing Hyannis seems to have is a few more bars and I'm not really into the "party scene". I relish peace, quiet, and nice spaces. The woods is more my style. Plus I want to be safe haha. Rent is a bit much especially considering I am one guy; studios are even a bit high. But I really didn't want to have to live off the Cape; I hear bridge traffic can be bad.

mtbr member
    I would highly suggest Sagamore Beach, its a very nice area and close to everything. To be honest I commute to Falmouth M-F and its not bad, but during the summer Friday and Mondays can be somewhat of a hassle so learn back roads :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should look in Mashpee too. My mom owns a condo near mashpee commons, she really loves it. It's probably still in riding distance to sandwich.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The time of year your looking is rough. may-sept prices go up. I was born and raised on the cape and understand peoples opinions of Hyannis. I wouldn't want to live there either but there are some nice area's out towards the Hyannis port area. You could always just move onto the compound

Anyway, I suggest looking in Centerville, Marston Mills, maybe even Cotuit. All within Barnstable. I would try and find a short term summer rental and then line something up for the off season. Thats how most places work on the Cape. All the Irish flock to the cape and rent up on the cheap stuff this time of year. Cafeful of those 3 speed bikes!

mtbr member
    Back to the riding - Couple of more things to consider: Be careful of ticks and make sure you use (ahem) protection. Always good to spray your clothes down with Permethrin spray and your body (ankles and legs) with something that can go on your skin. Tubeless tires will also help because trust me there are lot's of thorns to cause potential flat's this time of year.

mtbr member
    I'm use to ticks in CT, we invented Lyme Disease! But thanks for the heads up, I have been told they are especially bad on the Cape. As far as thorns, have never had that issue. Perhaps I will be looking into tubeless.

Of course finding this rental place is a freaking bear; so we'll see how much riding I get in. I should be out this weekend, camping at Shawme, think I may throw the bike on and try TOT again if I have time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm a big fan of "slime" in my tires. i have not had a flat due to thorns in a few years now. i know it adds weight and can make a mess, but i'm a fan.

mtbr member
    If you like technical riding check out Otis. Personally I like it a lot better. TOT is ok, but it all seems the same (a common problem on Cape, little vegetative diversity) Otis is still fairly smooth compared to mainland Mass, but its got more technical challenge than TOT. Don't forget that you're less than 2 hours from dozens of great technical spots on the mainland. Not a lot of open space in southern NE, but we make up for it with lots of trailwork volunteers and many parks and reservations.

mtbr member
    I got that feeling on TOT, I mean I loved the flow and the fact that there was decent mileage on the Cape but I can't hope but think it would get old. As far as great riding within 2 hours; I'm use to 75+ miles of singletrack out my front door. All with its own feel and lots of good elevation. I think I'll miss the elevation the most:-(

Oh and thanks to those pointing out Hyannis's faults, I don't think I'm ready to relegate myself to slum-ville.

Though finding a place out here is not that easy (and darkz no luck on the other side of the canal either).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you did feel like riding tomorrow morning, at 9am a group usually leaves from the Farmersville/Race Lane parking lot..Weather looks nice, so there should be a decent number of people. I'll be there riding my Tallboy carbon.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Ah!!! Left my ride at home; been swamped looking for a place to rent. I should be out again and move out in July, so I am definitely looking for groups to ride with (mountain bikers are some of the best people out there!) and I like regular things to get my ass out.

mtbr member
    Use craigslist to find a place to rent.. cape cod / islands apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Search for towns: Sandwich, Sagamore, Bourne

mtbr member
    So another question: I know the Cape is one big glacial deposit but seems mostly sand/gravel. But does anyone know if there are any boulders out there? Does anyone else climb?

I've been bouldering the past 2/3 years on and off and maybe climb V4.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone, got a place in Falmouth. Moving up next weekend. Anyone want to take me out riding in the near future? My job starts the 9th and I'll be busy with that during the week but looking for people to ride some evenings/weekends.

Whats the deal with night riding? I have lights, love to tackle singletrack by dark, whole new trail.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the Cape, iceboxsteve! Falmouth was a great choice for your situation.

Everyone has given you solid riding advice, and I just want to second dang's recommendation on the Sandwich side of TOT. Climbs aren't really long, but there are a ton of them. I always get a thorough workout there.

Pinehills in Plymouth isn't too far off Cape and has a couple of actual long climbs. The stuff west of 3A is more of the hills, while east of 3A has lots of rocks and some tech features built in. Park at Serious Cycles (good shop) to jump right into the mix or park somewhere down 3A to get some extra mileage in on the road.

I don't know Falmouth LBS's well, but Corner Cycle has lots of top racers riding for them, so they have to be doing something right. Sea Sports in Hyannis is a great LBS and seems to be attracting a lot of serious riders these days.

Happy riding!
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lincoln woods, RI is probably the closest good bouldering. Tons of awesome stuff there. (Yep, my first post on a mountain biking forum is about climbing)

...errr, i think there is actually good mountain biking there too. Never have ridden there before (only climbed) but it looks like there is some fun technical stuff to play around on. Probably way more technical than anything you'll find in the cape.

mtbr member
    Abrams Rock or Village Park (different names for same place) in Swansea has good quality singletrack and several large rock formations. I have seen people climbing there, but only once or twice. About 45-50 minutes from Falmouth but maybe worth checking out. Its listed on nembas places to ride.

Abrams

mtbr member
    Nice guys, I joined rockclimbing.com and there is talk of some rocks on the Cape and I see plenty up around Boston. Turns out there are some in Blue Hills and Middle Sex Fells, perhaps I'll make a ride and climb excursion on the weekends.

So whose going to take me out? Looking for group rides. Is night riding frowned upon anywhere on the Cape?

mtbr member
    I've ridden Otis at night, no problems. As far as I know no one is going to bother you for night riding. I'm itching to ride Otis, but finding time this time of year is a challenge. Probably won't be able to squeeze a ride in down there till after the Fourth of July.

mtbr member
    Hey, full time job, I won't be leaving the area anytime soon. And I'm not up there yet, I move in this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Nice guys, I joined rockclimbing.com and there is talk of some rocks on the Cape and I see plenty up around Boston. Turns out there are some in Blue Hills and Middle Sex Fells, perhaps I'll make a ride and climb excursion on the weekends.

So whose going to take me out? Looking for group rides. Is night riding frowned upon anywhere on the Cape?
    We do group rides at Trail of Tears regularly..Usually 9am Sunday, Mon/Wed/Fri at 5. Sometimes it's 3 of us, sometimes 20. It really depends on everyone's schedules. This past winter we were pretty consistent with 3 night rides a week.

After you get settled in, send me a PM and we can meet up sometime.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Falmouth is a nice area, there is great riding at Otis/Francis Crane. There are also trails around Long Pond. There is a park there and a dirt road circling the pond. Not a lot of distance, but its dirt. Also found some trails near wing pond that are accessible from the Shining seas bikeway. The bikeway also ends .7 miles from the Otis entrance, so you can ride up the bikeway, suffer through the .7 miles of rt 151 (sucks) and access 20+ miles of singletrack.

Oh yeah, if you need ice cream, don't forget Somerset Creamery on 28A in Cataumet! (shameless spam)

mtbr member
    Nice, I heard about Otis a good bit and found a map online. Seems I'll be fairly close to it. I stopped in Corner Cycles, they were pretty nice (which I always find rare in shops) though obviously a bit more about the rentals and if anything roadies. But they told me on top of Otis and TOT behind Falmouth High there is trails. Anyone confirm?

I think I may invest in a road bike anyway, good endurance training. The Cape looks like it can handle all my recreational needs (except summits, but I'll pop up to the Whites once in a while). Super stoked to be moving there.

mtbr member
    There's some good bouldering at Ames Nowell in Abington too.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Anyone up to ride Otis sometime tomorrow? I have the week off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    always down for night ride. I'm in plymouth and show you pine hills. Usually back in town around 6:30 from work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Doro,
    I live in Upton ma and will be visiting my parents this week at the pine hills where they live. Are these trails near the development?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i actually saw someone go by me on the other side of the road near pinehills today on a hardtail specialized it looked like.

liner, pinehills is a pretty big neighborhood area so it could be 15 minute bike ride from pinehills or maybe 25 depending on where you are in the development.

if you take exit 4 instead of three to go to pinehills you will drive by the bike shop where the trails are across from, that way you can gauge how far away you are from them.

mtbr member
    Wow, rode Otis twice today. A noon expedition on my own and just now with a guy I met here in Falmouth and his son. Freaking fantastic. I can not express how much I loved them. Some of those climbs were great, not super long but definitely explosive and technical. Loved the different trails, some quick flowy stuff and then some gnarly boney stuff. Cool features, though I am not a features rider (no confidence haha). Singlespeed heaven.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by liner View Post
    Doro,
    I live in Upton ma and will be visiting my parents this week at the pine hills where they live. Are these trails near the development?
    there are trails off of old sandwich road a little ways past the rye tavern which is considered the west side. When most people refer to pinehills they are talking about the east section across the street from serios cycle. You could easy ride trail from old sandwich to 3a and cross into the east side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Interested in joining a group Cape MTB ride this week, Gabe is the 5pm ride on Wed and Fri this week (and where?). Any others? I'm staying in Orleans...got only road rides in so far.

Thanks
    Brett

banned
    Sep 2008
    a good ride is connecting tot, otis, and a ton of other areas into a 50+ mile loop. did it quite often when i lived here, and may do it tomorrow if anyone is interested. probably start around 9am from trail o tears, well i'm riding from hyannis so it'll be 70 miles or so, then onto a ton o connector stuff to crane, otis, bourne town forest, canal, greenbriar, sandwich high stuff, sandwich hilly stuff, and back through trail o tears.

allow about 5 hours if yer quick, 6 is comfortable tho.

anyone? always a good cruise

oh, p.s. you should be riding yer bike to work there sparky. no better way to build fitness, avoid traffic, and help save fossil fuels. just sayin.

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by icycle View Post
    Interested in joining a group Cape MTB ride this week, Gabe is the 5pm ride on Wed and Fri this week (and where?). Any others? I'm staying in Orleans...got only road rides in so far.

Thanks
    Brett
    Brett,

Not sure if they will be doing the group ride tomorrow, and I am going early AM for a quick pre-breakfast ride. Friday Trail of Tears right at 5 should still be on at the Farmersville lot..I plan on being there unless I get behind on house work. Friday during the daytime I'll see what everyone's plan is.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    Not sure if they will be doing the group ride tomorrow, and I am going early AM for a quick pre-breakfast ride. Friday Trail of Tears right at 5 should still be on at the Farmersville lot..I plan on being there unless I get behind on house work. Friday during the daytime I'll see what everyone's plan is.

-Gabe
    OK, thanks. I'll potentially be interested in Fri, I can't do Wed anyway, family P-town trip.
    I'll check back here Fri to see the latest?
    thanks

mtbr member
    I haven't done TOT yet plus wan to meet some of the guys out here. I can probably do Friday. Is there a ride tomorrow at 5pm? What will traffic be like from Falmouth haha? Want to get out before work starts, probably can't do 5pm ever again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As of right now the TOT ride Friday at 5 is on...I'm working with a friend who usually does the ride as well, and provided we get wrapped up on time we will be there. I'll try to update around noon tomorrow.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Sounds good, I've been exploring the area before I start the job, rode on MV today. I didn't have time to get some TOT in so will definitely be trying tomorrow. Usually a big group? Length/pace? I'm sure I'll be fine but if ya'll are some pros and racers don't want to be holding you up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Sounds good, I've been exploring the area before I start the job, rode on MV today. I didn't have time to get some TOT in so will definitely be trying tomorrow. Usually a big group? Length/pace? I'm sure I'll be fine but if ya'll are some pros and racers don't want to be holding you up!
    Group size varies a lot...sometimes 2, sometimes 20. I would guess 5-8 tomorrow, we'll see. We'll split up into two pace groups when it's larger..Ride 9-12mi and pace varies. Plenty of rest stops as Friday's are usually relaxed.

mtbr member
    Yeah that is what I expected. Sounds exactly like the group rides I am use to. God bless mountain bikers. Hope to see you guys tomorrow, meet some people and learn more trails!

mtbr member
    Steve,

I would suggest joining our south shore mountain biking group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/234510909911186/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm planning on being there for the 5pm ride..Leaving from the Farmersville lot, I'll be in my white Tundra with my black SC Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    looks like I will miss the ride today, on a boat in cape cod bay with the kids...catching nothing

have fun

mtbr member
    Heading out to Eastham Saturday for a week long family vacation. Looking to ride some trails while I'm there. I see Willow st network is the closet area to where I will be. Are there any groups riding this trail during 7-29 through 8-3? Looking for company and some knowledge. I am a noob. Been riding and racing road and tri for many years. Just got on a mnt, bike two months ago. Having a great time and don't want to be forced to ride road all week. Not looking for anything to technical.
    Is this hardtail country or FS?

thanks
    Gcappy

Cannondale Flash-3
    Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Heading out to Eastham Saturday for a week long family vacation. Looking to ride some trails while I'm there. I see Willow st network is the closet area to where I will be. Are there any groups riding this trail during 7-29 through 8-3? Looking for company and some knowledge. I am a noob. Been riding and racing road and tri for many years. Just got on a mnt, bike two months ago. Having a great time and don't want to be forced to ride road all week. Not looking for anything to technical.

thanks
    Gcappy

Cannondale Flash-3
    Trek Superfly 100
    Here's a GPS track from my last ride at Willow Street and beyond. You'll probably be fine on the HT, but there's some rooty sections around Dennis Pond.

Noob, eh? I see you're buying a new mtb each month! !
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Yeah, we'll I have a small advantage as I work part time at my local shop. Thanks for the reply.
    Gcappy

mtbr member
    FS country, psh. I ride a fully rigid and the only place I've decided not to ride was the Lunch Loop in Grand Junction. Been having a blast on Otis which is more technical than I thought the Cape could ever offer.

I hope to some day explore Willow and Nickerson and just get out to that end of the Cape. Hear it is best in September when the tourists leave but weather is still prime. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post

thanks
    Gcappy

Cannondale Flash-3
    Trek Superfly 100
    You can try Nickerson. LBS in orleans should be able to get you more info.
    You're more than welcome to join us in the Truro Wellfleet area. Usually leave around 0630 or so Sat and Sun. PM me if interested
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    You can try Nickerson. LBS in orleans should be able to get you more info.
    You're more than welcome to join us in the Truro Wellfleet area. Usually leave around 0630 or so Sat and Sun. PM me if interested
    What's the riding like there? Tech, easy? I will pm you if I think I can get up early enough Sunday. Any rides going during the week in that area?

thanks
    Gcappy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    We've been trying to get out as much as possible. When I can't get in on the morning rides I'll go out after 17:30 or so. Trails definitly not technical iIn Truro . More fast foley stuff. Wellfleet has more going on there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking back I really didn't answer the question. We do go out during the week as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks' I will check in when I get there.

Gcappy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Heads up guys, they found mosquitoes carrying eee in nickerson this week. Time to break out the bug spray.

mtbr member
    Thanks I will pick some up on my way out to tomorrow.

Gcappy

Members who have read this thread: 0