cape cod- Mtbr.com

Thread: cape cod

mtbr member

cape cod

Any good trails on the Cape?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There's not much out there in the way of mountain biking, but there's a few. I think there's a bike shop in Hyannis that does group rides. I found a ride called the Trail of Tears that was pretty neat. It's in/near Sandwich.

- Chris

mtbr member
    OK yea I see that one on the NE Google Map. Thanks maybe I will check it out.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...301392&t=p&z=9

Lets RIDE!
    There's some singletrack in the west side of Nickerson, and some outside the park to the east. I'll be down there this weekend, looking for more.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    try Otis

Who are the brain police?
    Otis is really fun.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Otis is much more technical than trail of tears, great place to ride (Beware though, part of the area is closed due to military base, but its not marked).. TOT if fun for a quick rip though, some nice rollercoaster action.
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/ma-otis_map.htm

mtbr member
    There's plenty of good XC riding on the Cape. Trail of Tears (TOT) has 20+ miles of trails, and quite a bit more if you cross to the Sandwich side. Otis probably has 20 miles as well, with some rocks thrown in. Nickerson State Park has prob close to 15 miles of scenic XC trails. There's also a nice network of XC trails off exit 7 (Willow St).

Most off-Cape people are happily surprised when they ride here, no matter where they're from.

Lets RIDE!
    I was in Brewster last weekend, ran into some locals and rode Nickerson. Nice! Thanks for the tour, guys! Gonna have to check out T.O.T. and Willow st. when I'm down there in July.

Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ride TOT often, but I don't think I have rode on the Sandwich side. Where do you access these trails? Are they on the other side of the power lines?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rail the trail
    I ride TOT often, but I don't think I have rode on the Sandwich side. Where do you access these trails? Are they on the other side of the power lines?
    At the western end of the power lines is a road (Great Hill Road maybe?). Cross the road and go under the gate. Head to the right - up the rocky hill. Where it curves to the left you'll see a trailhead leading into the woods - ez to find. Once in, you can go left or right -- that particular trails loops around, but has other trails off it. If you explore a bit, you'll find a lot of soft singletrack with some pretty good hills. You will get lost, but you can always track south toward the powerlines and ride them back out to the road and back to TOT.
    There is a loosely-scheduled Tues nite group ride that leaves around 5:30 from the Race Lane lot - mostly SSers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info, I will try them soon.

mtbr member

Lets RIDE!
    Any directions or beta on the Willlow Street trails? I'll be back in Brewster in July, and I'd like to check it out.

Jim

mtbr member

willow st

Located directly off Willow St. near the Yarmouth/Hyannis line, these trails were originally cut by local motocrossers back in the '70s. They are not very regularly maintained, but new sections have been recently added to by some Mid Cape-area trailmasters. The most distinguishing feature about this network is its mildly trials riding flavor.

Getting here is a snap, mainly due to the trailhead's immediate proximity to Route 6. From the highway, get off at Exit 7 and head north (bearing right at the offramp from either direction) onto Willow St. Then, look for a set of overpasses to your left. Parking is located directly underneath these structures in the form of a makeshift dirt lot.

more details found here
    http://www.capecodbikeguide.com/willowst.asp#directions

I will be in Brewster in a couple of weeks and hopefully will find some of those trails in Nickerson.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is no parking under underpass anymore. A lot of Building, Overpass & Roadwork since that dirt lot has been accessible. You can use the 2 dirt pull-off spots on your right heading back toward 6A off Willow...under a 1/4 mile after Rt6 Exit 7 by Dennis Pond. If interested, PM me & I can give a better loop & parking spot...rather not post it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hijack: Could somebody tell me which trails at Otis are closed?

https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/MA/ma-otis_map.JPG

mtbr member
    None of them. Otis being closed is like one of those internet rumors that keeps going around and around. Just park at 151/28 (right where it says on the map) and you'll be fine. Bring the map, use the power lines and the highway for navigation, and ride your ass off. There is a trail that runs more or less along the highway, so if you get lost, try to head for the highway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks.

Lets RIDE!
    I've haven't ridden Otis yet, but here's another thread about the situation there: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=399812

Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hello all,
    I'll be visiting my dad's Cape House Sunday night-Wed? let me know if anyone is riding any of those days.

mtbr member
    I might be - in what town is your dad's house?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Welfleet, I'd like to check out ToT and/or Otis. I have ridden in Welfleet and Nickerson back when I went there more often in about 2000 and had fun. There were some good locals that showed me around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's an insult to say there's not much mtbing on cape cod. won't even start.

but anyway. someone,and I think I know the pair, maintains Yarmouth. I ride there once a week and it surprises me to see downed trees removed and cut. and I've wanted to ask here if I was acually seeing groomed trails there in early spring. It looked as if someone took a leaf blower to some of the trails.when I take my little hilly bypass it's not nearly as nice.

I ride Sandwich all the time for the hills and just last week I found more trails I never rode.

Lets RIDE!

early rides next week?

I'll be in Brewster the 4th - 14th. Hopefully riding Nickerson most mornings early (7-ish?). Also, dropping my son at the bus in Hyannis at 6:30am Monday the 7th, thinking I might try the Willow Street trails or ToT / Sandwich then. If anyone's into riding early I'd be glad to have a local guide to chase.

Jim

Nostralpicas

rides

If you want guides to chase there are two fast guys that ride out of the boat landing parking lot at 730 at nickerson on sunday mornings.thats the first left after entering the park.There is also a great group ride at willow st. on thursdays at 530pm.A B and C groups
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

Lets RIDE!
    Rode with them on my last visit to the Cape. 3 fast guys that particular Sunday, plus me, I'm just half-fast Might try and meet them again. They also mentioned a 9am Sunday group, but I can't recall where they meet....main entrance or the Rail Trail lot.

Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0