Burlington Landlocked Forest New Scout Trail/Yellow Trail "Trail Work"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Burlington Landlocked Forest New Scout Trail/Yellow Trail "Trail Work"

Rode Landlocked this afternoon and was wondering who did all the "trail work" on New Scout Trail/the Yellow Trail just after the bench heading clockwise.

Way to ruin a fun downhill/climb by putting a ton of logs on the edges of the TRAIL to try and make it narrower.

The trail was fine. Leave things alone next time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That was a GB Nemba trail work project. Trail alignment, cleaned up the line some, took it down from a " road" that was 6-10 ft wide with multiple braids to restore it to single track status. Now more of a single track of 3-4 ft wide. I assume you enjoy all the other single track at the LLF and at other properties?. Always looking for more help on trail days. The FB site for GB Nemba will have some upcoming trail work days. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I didn't find it overly wide before, just wide enough to have some fun. I liked how there were multiple lines to choose pretty much from the bench to the 4 way intersection. Was fun riding it flat out and trying to find the fastest lines.

To me it feels like something was taken away.

Is there a plan to clean it up at some point? To me the logs look temporary like they were being used to map out where the path would be. I don't mean to offend the volunteers and trail builders, but it looks kind of messy with all the logs. Not exactly sure how that could be improved. Rock lined perhaps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It used to be a perfect trail. Then, last year, some band of yahoos went in there cutting trees off at knee level widening/straightening/ruining the entire property. Not just that trail, bunches of them. Including crappy fall line trails they cut. I haven't seen nearly the same level of destruction this year, so hopefully they moved on. What you saw was the first of the multi-year effort it will take to unwind their damage. The crappy looking trail will be scarred for years until trees grow back.

If you want a straight line down hill trail, I would suggest looking at road biking. "Straight down the hill" is another name for "river". It'll become an eroded mess in short time. There's a lot of conservation focus on small tracks of land such as this located in developed suburbia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Upset

Well, I guess we have you to thank for blowing it out and wrecking it. Are you one of the people who cut all the corners and turned it into a straight highway? The trail work was to restore it closer to it's original singletrack lines. Please respect the work of the volunteers who helped fix it.

For that matter, you're also probably one of the riders cutting corners and creating cheater lines all over LLF. PLEASE STOP!

"Rode Landlocked this afternoon and was wondering who did all the "trail work" on New Scout Trail/the Yellow Trail just after the bench heading clockwise.

Way to ruin a fun downhill/climb by putting a ton of logs on the edges of the TRAIL to try and make it narrower.

The trail was fine. Leave things alone next time. "

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie View Post
    Rode Landlocked this afternoon and was wondering who did all the "trail work" on New Scout Trail/the Yellow Trail just after the bench heading clockwise.

are you a noob,
    or one of the elves who built the place from 4 scratch trails 20 years ago...
    into what is became 10 years ago
    (to now and the recent spate of trail blowouts by idiots who can't stay on track) ?

FYI the original build out starting 20 years ago involved a LOT of logs marking the singletrack. everywhere. it is time to contain that place once again.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    It used to be a perfect trail. Then, last year, some band of yahoos went in there cutting trees off at knee level widening/straightening/ruining the entire property. Not just that trail, bunches of them. Including crappy fall line trails they cut. I haven't seen nearly the same level of destruction this year, so hopefully they moved on. What you saw was the first of the multi-year effort it will take to unwind their damage. The crappy looking trail will be scarred for years until trees grow back.

If you want a straight line down hill trail, I would suggest looking at road biking. "Straight down the hill" is another name for "river". It'll become an eroded mess in short time. There's a lot of conservation focus on small tracks of land such as this located in developed suburbia.
    I've been riding here all year and the last 3 or 4 years as well. I honestly have noticed that much change to the trails in that time except for what I saw on Friday afternoon.

What trails in particular would you say have had straightening/widening or new trails that have been built, but not designed well?

What trails are planned to have work done on them and what work specifically is planned?

I hope it's not going to change the feel of BLL too much as pre-Friday I would have said it was pretty much perfect.

Maybe planting new trees or lining the trail(s) with rocks would be a better alternative than logs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Keep single track single. I see you like Willowdale. Great riding there. NS Nemba ( my chapter) has spent some trail work days there and in neighboring areas to create some great riding. So when you go there you just ride the straight, fast dirt roads? Or the curvy, flowing single track? LLF sees LOTS of wheel time and is enjoyed by many riders, hikers and dog walkers. Trails over time tend to get wider, sometimes by novice riders. One of our missions is to keep single track single. Much more enjoyable, agreed? Multiple lines? Sometimes there are B lines for tech features at properties. No issue there. Fast lines are still there. We would welcome your time and work on any trail care day in the area. MV, GB and NS all have upcoming trail days in Sept. and Oct.We had about 15 of us at the LLF last week. Sure there is some overall guidance and larger plan, however, boots on the ground gets to vote. Where is the line, what rock goes where, where is the best line, what about this feature for a B line? Just like town politics, government, or committees, show up, participate or just say thanks for the great work. If you have time to ride, you have time to dig. I happened to pedal to the work day last week, but most everyone else gave up 4 or so hours on a Saturday to improve the trails so you and all the other trail users could have good ride. Enjoy. And your welcome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by feral View Post
    Well, I guess we have you to thank for blowing it out and wrecking it. Are you one of the people who cut all the corners and turned it into a straight highway? The trail work was to restore it closer to it's original singletrack lines. Please respect the work of the volunteers who helped fix it.

For that matter, you're also probably one of the riders cutting corners and creating cheater lines all over LLF. PLEASE STOP!

"Rode Landlocked this afternoon and was wondering who did all the "trail work" on New Scout Trail/the Yellow Trail just after the bench heading clockwise.

The trail was fine. Leave things alone next time. "
    Nope. I just ride it as is. It certainly wasn't double track or a fire road. Just wide enough to have some fun and creativity in your riding. Shame on me for wanting that.

I get that deliberately altering trails is not good, but trails evolve over time and I don't think this particular trail was destroyed/ruined by any stretch. Also you could make the argument that altering the trail in an effort to reset it to its original state from 20 years ago is just as bad and possibly futile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Keep single track single. I see you like Willowdale. Great riding there. NS Nemba ( my chapter) has spent some trail work days there and in neighboring areas to create some great riding. So when you go there you just ride the straight, fast dirt roads? Or the curvy, flowing single track? LLF sees LOTS of wheel time and is enjoyed by many riders, hikers and dog walkers. Trails over time tend to get wider, sometimes by novice riders. One of our missions is to keep single track single. Much more enjoyable, agreed? Multiple lines? Sometimes there are B lines for tech features at properties. No issue there. Fast lines are still there. We would welcome your time and work on any trail care day in the area. MV, GB and NS all have upcoming trail days in Sept. and Oct.We had about 15 of us at the LLF last week. Sure there is some overall guidance and larger plan, however, boots on the ground gets to vote. Where is the line, what rock goes where, where is the best line, what about this feature for a B line? Just like town politics, government, or committees, show up, participate or just say thanks for the great work. If you have time to ride, you have time to dig. I happened to pedal to the work day last week, but most everyone else gave up 4 or so hours on a Saturday to improve the trails so you and all the other trail users could have good ride. Enjoy. And your welcome.
    I like to have some variety. There is certainly plenty of places in BLL where the singletrack is narrower than the wider singletrack that was recently made into narrower singletrack (yes it was still singletrack before the work was done). Having it be a bit wider can be a lot of fun on both the climbs and descents. It opens up way more line choices and creativity than the very narrow singletrack does. Look at XC, Enduro, or DH racing. It would be pretty boring if those courses were just a single narrow line the entire time. The key is variety. Have both narrow singletrack where each everyone takes the same line and wider singletrack where you can get more creative and try new lines each time you ride it to either give yourself a greater challenge, ride it faster, or just have more fun.

I agree on B lines and wish more places would adopt then. Everybody wins unless you are an elitist that thinks if you can't ride the feature you shouldn't be riding or should have to walk it. Big annoyance for me is when there is a B line for a feature not bothering anyone who can ride the feature and then the block it off at the expense of lesser skilled riders. Perfect example is at the Fells. The rock roll on the reservoir trail. Had a main straight high line and a lower line where you had to come in from an angle and then straighten up for the descent. Someone recently damaged a living tree by cutting a notch into it so that it would bend and block the entry to this lower entrance to the rock roll. Kind of goes against leaving nature alone.

Where do you find where and when trail work days will be? I've been trying to attend one for 4 or 5 years now at any of the places I ride and never see anything here, on Facebook, through my shop, etc. I always hear about them in post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^ Been riding LLF since 2000, yup, old fart here. I get that trails evolve and change over time and through use, they all do. LLF is not about racing, enduro or DH, I would suggest other areas for you to get your fix on that. Single track trails. Plenty of dirt roads in there as well. Trail work? Sign up for the FB feed on Greater Boston Nemba, North Shore and Merrimack Valley. Go to the FB sites under events. North Shore has work days on 9/9 and 9/23, we even feed you. MV has a day on 10/1 in Billerica, the Gilson Hill stuff is fabo. GB has an event on 9/9 in the Fells. Where ever you can fit in your schedule is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been riding here all year and the last 3 or 4 years as well. I honestly have noticed that much change to the trails in that time except for what I saw on Friday afternoon.
    Really not sure how you could miss it. I documented about 15% of the carnage here last year: http://forums.mtbr.com/massachusetts...1009871-2.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Where do you find where and when trail work days will be? I've been trying to attend one for 4 or 5 years now at any of the places I ride and never see anything here, on Facebook, through my shop, etc. I always hear about them in post.
    NEMBA website: News & Events | NEMBA