Building up two wheel sets: Tire recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Building up two wheel sets: Tire recommendations

I ride an SB130 (semi lunch ride with 135mm in the back, but still 150mm in the front). Just bought a new i9 enduro 305 wheelset and Iím keeping the DT M1900 stock wheelset.

I mostly ride Fells, Harold Parker, Blue Hills most of the time but also cruise up to Highland when I can. My thinking is: create a fast(ish) rolling wheelset on the I9 wheelset (Dissector front and Rekon rear) and put DHF and DHRII on the DT wheelset for Highland adventures.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts with ideal tire choice? Maybe an Assegai on the DT front? Maybe Aggressor on the rear of the i9?

mtbr member
    I have a similar dilemma, however I'm going with a DH tire. Mainly as the faff of changing wheels means I'm doing only when I shuttle. I have Minions (DHF/DHR2) as my trail tires.
    I have spare rotors, cassette and chain for them too, but even then the derailleur always needs a little tweak.

Just a flesh wound
    I have a Ripmo with the DHF front and Aggressor rear, both in 2.5. I have almost 1,300 miles on it now. The DHF front is still fine. The Aggressor is pretty worn. I bought a Vittoria Agarro in 2.6 for the rear. Haven't tried it yet. For Highlands, the DHF, DHR2 combo is hard to beat. I have that on my old Prophet. 27.5 DHF in 2.5 front with a 26" DHR2 in 2.4 rear. Works great.

For the faster set, it's hard to say. Everyone rides a little differently. I ride Wompatuck mostly, so a tough tire is essential. You need tubeless with EXO or the equivalent. I am excited to try the new Agarro. Supposedly faster than the Aggressor with better grip. Sounds like a winner to me.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I run Minion 2.5 front and rear on my park bike, but am running Bontrager XR4's (2.4) front and rear on my trail bike. They are pretty light, have a nice rounded profile and corner awesome. ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I have a Ripmo with the DHF front and Aggressor rear, both in 2.5. I have almost 1,300 miles on it now. The DHF front is still fine. The Aggressor is pretty worn. I bought a Vittoria Agarro in 2.6 for the rear. Haven't tried it yet. For Highlands, the DHF, DHR2 combo is hard to beat. I have that on my old Prophet. 27.5 DHF in 2.5 front with a 26" DHR2 in 2.4 rear. Works great.

For the faster set, it's hard to say. Everyone rides a little differently. I ride Wompatuck mostly, so a tough tire is essential. You need tubeless with EXO or the equivalent. I am excited to try the new Agarro. Supposedly faster than the Aggressor with better grip. Sounds like a winner to me.
    Agreed on DHF/DHRII or DHF/Aggressor for park days. Hard to beat on the down. For a fast trail setup that holds up great in the chunk, I haven't found anything better than the Agarro. I've run both the 2.35 and 2.6 for over a year and a half, and prefer the 2.6 on 30mm ID rims. Also it's only 20g heavier than the 2.35. Everyone who rides MA chunky tech trails should try the Agarro, IMO. I've recently tried the Dissector up front too, which offers better cornering bite and still rolls pretty well, but doesn't quite have the magical plush feel of the Agarro.

Just a flesh wound
    I'm psyched to get it mounted. I think I saw your video regarding the Agarro, if that's you. I have the Ibis carbon fiber 35mm internals on my Ripmo. The Agarro should be a nice fit. I run low pressure on the trails, like 15 front and 16 rear. I had a set of Morsas before and they were fast, but they were sketchy on wet rocks and roots once they got worn a bit. The Martello is a good tire as well, but I forget if it comes in a 2.6.

I've been doing solo rides on my fat bike recently. Such a different ride but that's the fun of it. Makes you see and appreciate the tire's ability to conform and roll through as opposed to up and over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I'm psyched to get it mounted. I think I saw your video regarding the Agarro, if that's you. I have the Ibis carbon fiber 35mm internals on my Ripmo. The Agarro should be a nice fit. I run low pressure on the trails, like 15 front and 16 rear. I had a set of Morsas before and they were fast, but they were sketchy on wet rocks and roots once they got worn a bit. The Martello is a good tire as well, but I forget if it comes in a 2.6.

I've been doing solo rides on my fat bike recently. Such a different ride but that's the fun of it. Makes you see and appreciate the tire's ability to conform and roll through as opposed to up and over.
    Yes, that's me in the Agarro launch video (blue socks on the 429 Trail). Definitely go for the 2.6 on that wide of a rim - the profile is better than the 2.35 on wider rims.

Low pressure is relative, I suppose, but I run 11psi F / 13-14psi R with the 2.6's. Not everyone can get away with that, but it works well for me.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Send View Post
    Yes, that's me in the Agarro launch video (blue socks on the 429 Trail). Definitely go for the 2.6 on that wide of a rim - the profile is better than the 2.35 on wider rims.

Low pressure is relative, I suppose, but I run 11psi F / 13-14psi R with the 2.6's. Not everyone can get away with that, but it works well for me.
    I could probably run lower. I weigh 160# and I am usually in control. I haven't gone lower out of fear of smacking the rim. Do you run insets or just straight tires?

Nice bike. I have 3 friends with that bike and I almost got one. Then I rode the Ripmo and I was hooked. Where do you usually ride? That video looked like Blue Hills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I could probably run lower. I weigh 160# and I am usually in control. I haven't gone lower out of fear of smacking the rim. Do you run insets or just straight tires?

Nice bike. I have 3 friends with that bike and I almost got one. Then I rode the Ripmo and I was hooked. Where do you usually ride? That video looked like Blue Hills.
    I am similar weight to you - 165lbs or so. With the Agarros, I have never run inserts (good thing, as they are not a light tire!). The APF sidewall inserts in the tire design really help protect against rim-strike flats.

Yes, that video was shot at Blue Hills. I usually ride either North Shore, HP, or near my house at Russell/Billerica.

Just a flesh wound
    I've ridden Russel Mills and Billerica. Isn't there a third place you can link in there as well? If I remember, there are some cool rock features to roll. I recognized the rocks in that video. Cool place to ride if you don't have a red bike, ha!

I'm heading out soon. 5 minute ride from the house to Wompy. 13.5 front and 14.5 rear. I'll let you know how it goes. Still on the DHF 2.5 WT and Aggressor 2.5 WT.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Send View Post
    I am similar weight to you - 165lbs or so. With the Agarros, I have never run inserts (good thing, as they are not a light tire!). The APF sidewall inserts in the tire design really help protect against rim-strike flats.

Yes, that video was shot at Blue Hills. I usually ride either North Shore, HP, or near my house at Russell/Billerica.
    I am waiting for the new tires to get here (Agarro 2.6 F & R). I tried the lower pressures on my DHF 2.5 F and Aggressor 2.5 R but they were not as stable in corners so kept them at 15 psi or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelrw View Post
    I ride an SB130 (semi lunch ride with 135mm in the back, but still 150mm in the front). Just bought a new i9 enduro 305 wheelset and Iím keeping the DT M1900 stock wheelset.

I mostly ride Fells, Harold Parker, Blue Hills most of the time but also cruise up to Highland when I can. My thinking is: create a fast(ish) rolling wheelset on the I9 wheelset (Dissector front and Rekon rear) and put DHF and DHRII on the DT wheelset for Highland adventures.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts with ideal tire choice? Maybe an Assegai on the DT front? Maybe Aggressor on the rear of the i9?
    I just got my I9 enduro hydra S wheels last week. I ride the fells several times per week. Mostly the orange loop. I put an Assegai 2.5 WT exo up front and a 2.4 DHR WT exo in the rear. Super light set up considering the tread. I donít think there is a better combo if your priority is grip. I run a dhf/dhr on my v10 and will switch to an Assegai when the time comes. I personally donít notice any more rolling resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    [QUOTE=George Knox;14774895]I just got my I9 enduro hydra S wheels last week. I ride the fells several times per week. Mostly the orange loop. I put an Assegai 2.5 WT exo up front and a 2.4 DHR WT exo in the rear. Super light set up considering the tread. I donít think there is a better combo if your priority is grip. I run a dhf/dhr on my v10 and will switch to an Assegai when the time comes. I personally donít notice any more rolling resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Why so much wheel / tire for Fells riding - love that place but pretty much thinking way better with an XC type set-up here...