anyone have any hand warmers
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    my water froze

sniff
    hey, this isnt so bad

hold up, I want to peel off a few layers
    frickin water is still frozen though

mtbr member
    Shoe covers are a must too!!! I wrestled with a frozen pair of them yesterday and gave up after 10 minutes. Decided I would just ride w/o them.

Big mistake frozen feet after 6 miles. Hands were warm wearing mittens. Frozen water bottle too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yesterday I hit a frozen puddle and broke through. 100yds later went to stop and had zero rear brake with rock hard lever. Squeezed as hard as I could and rode rear brake for 10 secs or so. Heat thawed them and worked good after. So yes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Shoe covers are a must too!!! I wrestled with a frozen pair of them yesterday and gave up after 10 minutes. Decided I would just ride w/o them.

Big mistake frozen feet after 6 miles. Hands were warm wearing mittens. Frozen water bottle too!
    shoe covers suck
    get some lake winter boots, your feet will thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    shoe covers suck
    +1 on the Lake's

I went a half size larger to allow for heavy socks and the occasional (like yesterday) handwarmers on top of my socks.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    AGREE! Getting them on is a pain especially if they have been sitting in your shed in the cold and are frozen up etc.,

I have a pair of Shimano winter riding boots, but I still need shoe covers over them to keep the toes warm if it's in the 20's.

Should have bought the Lake's instead of the Shimano's!

Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    shoe covers suck

mtbr member
    I just wore my regular 661 flight shoes yesterday, fine, not cold at all. the under armour cold gear socks are spectacular... an the new pearl izumi winter gloves are toasty. I did ride straight up hill though, so that probably helped warm me up.....
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Flat pedals and warm winter boots, works great.

mtbr member
    Always surprised when people have positive reviews of the Lake boots, 'cuz I think mine f ucking suck. I keep hearing about how good they are, but have yet to believe it based on a couple years of personal experience. I find them marginally warmer than my regular shoes with duct tape over the vents and heatpacks on the toes.

My Lakes required $25 in work from a cobbler after the first few rides to fix all the busted stitching. Called Lake, they said "bummer, man". A friend with a pair had the exact same problem. Then the Boa lace (whoever invented this stupid contraption should be strangled with it) exploded during a ride. Too much upward pressure, probably, because those shitty laces don't secure your foot. Have a cobbler add a strap. The insole is mylar coated bubblewrap, which does a fantastic job of not insulating the bottom of the boot. I can feel the cleat under my foot sucking heat away. I've got a set of Aerogel insoles on the way which should fix that problem, though. And if that isn't enough, couldn't Lake have tried to make them look more ridiculous? These things look something a spaceman from a 1960's comic book might wear. Oh, and the leather scratches really easily, and there's not enough space around the cleat to keep it from jamming with snow.

The only positive thing I can say about this boot (beside that it's at least a little warmer than going barefoot) is the shape of the sole makes it easy to walk in.

Tool
    Smelly, your experience with Lake boots varies significantly from almost all other reports.

Lake did have a problem with their stitching at one point, but it was corrected more than a year ago (I bought a pair a little over a year ago and they're performing flawlessly). I recall seeing multiple reports of Lake fixing the stitching for free, so I'm not sure why you got the cold shoulder from Lake assuming you are the original owner of the pair in question.

I'm sorry you seem to have had very bad luck with the Lakes. Have you tried Shimano's equivalent winter shoes? People seem to really like those as well, and some of the Shimano fans claim the Shimanos are sigificantly better than the Lakes.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Smelly, your experience with Lake boots varies significantly from almost all other reports.

Lake did have a problem with their stitching at one point, but it was corrected more than a year ago (I bought a pair a little over a year ago and they're performing flawlessly). I recall seeing multiple reports of Lake fixing the stitching for free, so I'm not sure why you got the cold shoulder from Lake assuming you are the original owner of the pair in question.

I'm sorry you seem to have had very bad luck with the Lakes. Have you tried Shimano's equivalent winter shoes? People seem to really like those as well, and some of the Shimano fans claim the Shimanos are sigificantly better than the Lakes.

-Pete
    Some of my buddies had the stitching problem with the old models too. I don't know if they dealt with Lake to have them fixed. Mine have never had that problem, and a lot of buddies have bought them since, and they haven;t see that issue either.

RE: The BOA system, it comes with a lifetime warranty from BOA.

I generally don't crank it too tight, allows better circulation and leaves a little room for trapped air to heat up and keep your foot warm. YMMV
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    one thing postive about last Sunday's ride is once you're used to the low temps mid 20s and 30s seem warm!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have several friends who have the lake boots , they love them

Personally I have the Older Shimano Boots , I think those are awesome for winter ridding ! YRMV
    I'm Better known as Splat

Members who have read this thread: 0