Bostonville- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bostonville

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bostonville

they put up a massive 8' foot chain link fence in the back. blocks the exit from the main trailhead. it looks like they have encroached on the wetlands too but who knows, maybe they had their property surveyed and it is legit. also, looks like they haven't had trash removal in weeks. the dumpsters were overflowing with garbage. bags of it were all over the ground, ripped open and trash strewn everywhere. heinous. i met a guy in the woods who says that the owner is not letting riders park in the adjacent dirt lot. can anyone confirm this? i thought this was town of lynnfield property?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That fence was put up last year, I think by someone other than Bostonville, to keep them out. You can park there all you want, and any time. At the base of the hill that is. Along the tree line.

Below is copied from the Lynnfield ConComm site - http://www.town.lynnfield.ma.us/Page...ervation/areas

Bow Ridge Reservation
    This reservation, also known as Kallenburg Quarry, is a substantial open space area in the southern part of town. Access is available at Ledge Road, Lynnbrook Road and from the parking lot beside the Bostonville Grille on Route One. The view from the top of the ledge formations is spectacular, revealing the entire Boston skyline. The area is recommended for hiking and walking.

Unless it is posted no parking then you can park there, and they can't post on someone else's land so that won't be happening. The trash is a nice touch too. Probably to make the whole parking experience less enjoyable. Maybe something that the board of health needs to force them to clean up. Nice to have businesses in the community that aren't community minded though. I guess if there isn't any financial gain to be had from keeping the area clean then they won't be cleaning it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ok thanks. yeah i didn't see any no parking signs but wanted to double check. good to be back out there. trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The trash on the trails near Bostonville is revolting. Can we all pick some of the trash up off the trails every time we ride there? I am not saying clean up behind Bostonville, but when its on the trails that come down to Bostonville its all our problem.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

Black Lion
    Riders who ride Lynn Woods and riders who like to start by the rt one side of the park should never spend a dime in Bostonville Grille or Fat Cactus.

They are NOT mtbiker friendly and never have been. The owners are a disgrace and have never handled them selves above board in my opinion. In many instances that have zero to do with cycling.
    Poor business's should not be rewarded with our hard earned money.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    With respect to the trash, I think our efforts would be better spent informing the proper "powers that be" rather than cleaning it up on our own. So, Lynnfield board of health, Conservation Commision, Chamber of Commerce, anyone who may give a crap about how a business is conducting itself in their town, would be a good place to start. It's much easier to make a phone call than pick up someone else's trash, and the problem will never be fixed if we help them cover it up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    With respect to the trash, I think our efforts would be better spent informing the proper "powers that be" rather than cleaning it up on our own. So, Lynnfield board of health, Conservation Commision, Chamber of Commerce, anyone who may give a crap about how a business is conducting itself in their town, would be a good place to start. It's much easier to make a phone call than pick up someone else's trash, and the problem will never be fixed if we help them cover it up.
    I agree with informing the powers that be. But on the other hand not doing anything is just turning your cheek until something does happen. I would much rather be a proactive cyclist than wait until someone else does something if at all. Like it or not, if you are a user of the trails in question then you are a steward of them as well. Giving back and cleaing them is just as important as taking joy from them. And the next time you ride the trails will be that much better.

Also I agree with Greg. I have never and will never spend a dime with the facist owner of Bostonville/Fat Cactus. He could of had something good...
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    does anyone know the guy with the big black escalade? i think he may ride a blue intense? if you do, could you please tell him to park perpendicular to the woods instead of parallel? the guy i bumped into in the woods last week said this is one of the owners biggest complaints. thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The owner of what? Bostonville? What does he/they have to do with how someone parks on Lynnfield property? Again, they have no rights to that land except to park cars there when they have a big profile game on, and only if there is room. It is first reserved for the public to use for trail access. So unless he's in your way, I wouldn't worry about it. The Bostonville brass have burned their bridges with the mountain bike community. Don't waste your time or energy doing anything to appease them or make their lives easier.
    Remember Uno's at the Fat Cactus site? Park here, have a Harpoon, have some pizza, have fun. We love everybody. That's how you run a business, not by alienating an entire group of people strictly for financial gain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    you know the old saying, possession is 9/10's of the law. the guy is laying claim to this land and until the town of lynnfield steps up we should try not to inflame the situation. parking askew is not good for anyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    He was not trying to lay claim to it. He was over stepping his bounds by trying to restrict who could park there. That didn't work too well as it's public knowledge that he doesn't own the land. It's there for you and me to use, so use it and don't worry about. If you want further clarification call Betty at the Lynnfield Conservation Commision (781) 334-9495. She'll explain it to you. And if you know what bike Escalade guy rides then you have no doubt seen him. Tell him you don't like how he parks next time you see him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    okely dokely

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The black Escalade in question was parked there this am upon returning from my ride. Not only was he parked parallel with the woods, he parked almost in the middle of the lot blocking access to at least five spots.
    This guy is a dick.
    JRA cycles

Class Clown
    Try leaving him a kind note informing him that there are about 20 fellow bikers getting kinda pissed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    Try leaving him a kind note informing him that there are about 20 fellow bikers getting kinda pissed.
    I tried to do exectly that, but nothing to write on or with. We thought about writing on his dusty windows, but didnt want to start something else...
    He needs to know there are plenty other riders, not just him.
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Black escalade is still parking in middle of lot. I never see him when he gets there, or leaves. Always just parked there before or after our rides. He was almost blocking two cars today.
    Gotta bring pen and paper from now on...
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i am pretty sure he rides a blue intense uzzi dh. i am riding lynn this wednesday and will see if he is out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Jeep dealership had cars parked all alongside the woods all weekend. Like 15 or more cars.
    Didn't impact us as we get there early but, I can assume it got crowded later on the day.
    I do miss parking at the Fat Cactus, freakin dummies could have had a good thing with us patronizing the estblishment after rides.
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i just found out that brian kelly purchased the entire bostonville property and adjacent lot. i know his son brendon so i will see if i can find out what their plans are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Drop N Roll View Post
    i just found out that brian kelly purchased the entire bostonville property and adjacent lot. i know his son brendon so i will see if i can find out what their plans are.
    Wow, interesting. So would he keep it as a bar/restaurant or make it another dealership?
    Is Fat Cactus still same owner then?
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    not sure. my fear is he paves the adjacent lot and puts a bunch of cars there. if that happens then i guess it's back to the main lot. man i haven't parked in the main lot since the 90's!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Drop N Roll View Post
    not sure. my fear is he paves the adjacent lot and puts a bunch of cars there. if that happens then i guess it's back to the main lot. man i haven't parked in the main lot since the 90's!
    But wait, doesn't Lynnfield Conservation Commision, own or maintain the spots adjacent to the tree line, hence the ok to park there? Thats the impression I was under.
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The land we ride on, and in from is conservation land. Kelly cannot buy it. So it should remain untouched, unless he decides to improve upon it with a little landscaping. I would guess Kelly bought Bostonville and possibly the land the Jeep dealership lies on, which may have been leased from the town of Lynnfield. Check out this zillow map. http://www.zillow.com/homes/325-broa...ct/17_zm/1_fr/
    You can see the boundary between Bostonville and the parking lot. Not much there owned by whoever owns Bostonville. The Jeep dealership looks like it's on property connected to the lot that contains the water towers. Part of it may have been sold by the town since it is commercially viable and useless to them anyway. In any case, you can clearly see the tip of the knifes edge on the conservation area eats up most of the parking lot. Use it and don't worry about it. It's not going anywhere

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cool, So in truth Kelly shouldn't be parking any vehicles in that lot exceot along his fence...
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not sure what Kelly's agreement is with Lynnfield but they certainly overstep their bounds. Whatever the agreements are between the Town of Lynnfield, Bostonville and Jeep, they aren't supposed to block trail user parking. It is one of those rare occasions where we are actually in the right and have some legal backing. Since mountain biking is allowed on that land and the land is protected for it's users, then it's protected for us. Feel free to contact the Lynnfield Conservation Commission anytime you see a malfeasance. If they hear from enough of us they may start paying closer attention to the area. That lack of monitoring is what allowed the Fat Cactus to open up the back of their parking lot into the conservation area without anyone knowing until after it was done. I'm sure Lynnfield would rather stick up for a handful of mountain bikers and hikers then let themselves be pushed around by the likes of Bostonville or Kelly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bostonville is closed as a restaurant. Kelly has jeeps blocking the entrance and extra stock in the spaces in the now defunct bonstonville lot. I parked behind in the LCC spaces along tree line. Bostonville had moving trucks clearing it out and tons of crap pulled out in the back. Can only get cleaner in the lot with Bostonville now gone (hopefully).
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow no kidding. Its weird since I thought they were doing fine business wise. Their parking lot was packed last Saturday.
    So this will likely turn into a Kelly dealership?
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash 79 View Post
    Its weird since I thought they were doing fine business wise. Their parking lot was packed last Saturday.
    That's what being penny-wise and pound-foolish will do to a business. Not a good long term strategy.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    One down and one to go....should we start taking bets when the Fading Cactus hires the movers???
    "To Air Is Human, To Huck Divine"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielo View Post
    One down and one to go....should we start taking bets when the Fading Cactus hires the movers???

I am praying!!!
    JRA cycles

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash 79 View Post
    Wow no kidding. Its weird since I thought they were doing fine business wise. Their parking lot was packed last Saturday.
    So this will likely turn into a Kelly dealership?
    I asked one of the guys who was driving new jeeps on to the lot yesterday, he said yes it was going to become part of the jeep dealership. Now I wonder what will be the fate of Fat Cactus?

Members who have read this thread: 0