• 10-11-2007
    trexnfx
    Border Mt. (Savoy State Forest) - IMBA Epic?
    I've read the MA trail reviews on Savoy State Forest and they are not so great, but this ride/area is on the IMBA Epic rides list. Has anyone ridden here more recent than '05? If so how is the terrain? I've ridden in the Berkshires a bit and a lot of the riding was horribly rutted double track with hub-deep mud. If this is definitely not a great place to ride, what are the top spots in the Western MA area?

Thanks in advance,
    T-Rex
  • 10-11-2007
    redwarrior
    Check this thread for good info: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=320839

If you're around Wmass this Saturday, check this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=341474
  • 10-11-2007
    Harryonaspot
    Mostof the singletrack thats really great here in the Berkshires is hidden .We have a bad ATV problem here and this is self defense . The good thing is that most locals love to share. pm me some time and I will take you on our Sunday ride. Harry
  • 10-11-2007
    hado_pv
    I think it is time, for the good of all riders, for the list of IMBA epics to be updated. There are upwards to a dozen world class single track epics within 50 miles of Savoy, but I don't know anyone that would place Savoy on that list.
  • 10-11-2007
    trexnfx
    Any chance you could give me some suggestions on riding in this area? I'm heading back home to upstate NY in a week from Vancouver, WA and would really like to zero in on some nice fall color & single track. Send me a PM if you want.

Thanks,
    T-Rex
  • 10-12-2007
    SuperbMan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hado_pv
    I think it is time, for the good of all riders, for the list of IMBA epics to be updated. There are upwards to a dozen world class single track epics within 50 miles of Savoy, but I don't know anyone that would place Savoy on that list.

Here Here!

Dear IMBA-please get your myopic head out of your Colorodan Butt and get in touch wwith your New England affiliates to update your knowledge (lack thereof) of our great (!!!) regional riding. None of which is at Savoy!!

Just typical-they think that old fire roads and jeep trails is all we easterners get to ride--little do they know our per square mile to state access and singletrack is tops!!

T-REX-Pm me for some local spots--if HarryonaSpot is a true berkshire local-be sure to contact him as he will turn you on to the nearest-best singletrack to NY (when you say Upstate NY-where are we talking about--people from the city think that means Westchester!;) ---but I think of Rochester--
  • 10-18-2007
    dang
    there's many places to ride in the Berkshires without hitting any boring doubletrack.

Pittsfield STate forest
    Kennedy Park in Lenox
    Lenox Mountain
    October Mt North Lenox into Lee
  • 10-18-2007
    trexnfx
    Thanks for the suggestions - how muddy are current conditions? Colors at peak?
  • 10-18-2007
    SuperbMan
    Conditions are great right now-and no, the colors haven't really come yet (late this year)

btw, most trails around here don't get 'muddy' (except in March snow melt and December winter wet)-they do get slippery--it's a big difference. As of today-there al still in great shape and will be until the leaves come off the trees.
  • 10-20-2007
    hado_pv
    I don't know if it is my rose colored glasses, but the colors are pretty darn nice now, and as Superbman said the conditions are great. Yesterday's rain shouldn't have hurt the trails much and this afternoon or tomorrow will be primo riding in the northern pioneer valley and points west.