Blackstone River and Canal State Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Blackstone River and Canal State Park

Anyone have any info on Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park aka Goat Hill?
    Is it worth an hour plus drive? How many miles of singletrack? Any info would be appreciated.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    It's on my "trail to ride" list.
    Here's a map: Plummer's Landing in Northbridge, MA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE
    Any other info will be appreciated

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucelano View Post
    It's on my "trail to ride" list.
    Here's a map: Plummer's Landing in Northbridge, MA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE
    Any other info will be appreciated
    Thanks for the link. It only shows 8 miles, but there's a lot of green space to the right of it. I wonder if there's more trails?
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mdc
    mtbr member
    There is close to 30 miles of singletrack if you do everything in the area. I typically do 15 ish mile loop that takes around 1.5-2 hours. If your interested in a tour let me know and I'd be more than happy to show you around some of the local goods.....

mtbr member
    Ribbon Candy / Goat Hill / Badlands is great.

My standard loop.

You can also add a loop in the Badlands and West Hill Dam.

Is it worth and hour drive? From where? It's my favorite place in the area but depending on where you are coming from there may be better places closer by.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
    Ribbon Candy / Goat Hill / Badlands is great.

My standard loop.

You can also add a loop in the Badlands and West Hill Dam.

Is it worth and hour drive? From where? It's my favorite place in the area but depending on where you are coming from there may be better places closer by.
    We'd be driving from the south shore. From the looks of your map, there's certainly enough riding to justify a trip. We're thinking Sunday morning.

thanks!
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Here is a video I made of Goat Hill. Its long - this is the first cut. I still need to cut it down to under 3 mins and add music. But its so tough to cut stuff out!

Here is Ribbon Candy (ditto above)

Here is the Canal Path (ditto again)

mtbr member
    Here is a video I made of Goat Hill. Its long - this is the first cut. I still need to cut it down to under 3 mins and add music. But its so tough to cut stuff out!

Here is Ribbon Candy (ditto above)

Here is the Canal Path (ditto again)
    Goat Hill looks like a lot of fun
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    DirtyJack, I just posted a review in the trails section. It is definitely worth checking out. I grew up in Uxbridge and now live in Seekonk, but I still return every couple months to stomp around. So many various trails, some dead ends on the lookout rock/ rice city side, but the goat hill side is a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    DirtyJack, I could maybe meet you up there tomorrow if you would like to ride with someone who knows the area.

mtbr member
    woodsguy,
    thank you for posting the videos. I will definitely go there this spring!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pucelano View Post
    woodsguy,
    thank you for posting the videos. I will definitely go there this spring!
    why wait?

mtbr member
    We checked it out this morning. temps were a balmy 7 when we started, 17 when we finished but there was no wind for most of the ride, and we were pretty much warm all day.

We hit some great singletrack, hit the downhill section on Goat Hill (North) twice. I'm sure there's still more to explore. We'll be back. Thanks for the maps woodsguy, they definitely helped keep us on track.

Here's our tracks

eureka, sorry I didn't see your message until this evening. Maybe next time, always like it when a local shows us all the goods.

The only bummer was that my rear brake lost function (again), level to the bar, so it was a bit interesting on the downhills.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You've got sack, Jack! I'm not certain I would've ridden in those temps anyways. It looks like you found a lot of the good stuff, and then some. I've never ridden any of the stuff on the other side of Wolf Hill Road like you guys did, so I'll definitely have to join you up there (when it's a little warmer). Not sure what you hit in the Badlands (across 122 from the sewer beds), but there is definitely more out there. I spent 6 hours out there one day and didn't hit the same trail twice. Glad it was worth your trip.

mdc
    mtbr member
    The trail area across Upton Rd ( or Wolf Hill Rd) is West Hill Dam Park- there is a double track loop that runs around the park, but there is also some very nice singletrack as well. Easy and flowy without much climbing- fun stuff and very different from Goat Hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    MDC, is that down by the swim area? used to hike down there as a kid, guess I hadn't thought of riding it before. thanks.

mdc
    mtbr member
    yup. If you were heading to the swimming area via the road there is a trail that loops around the park on your left (starts behind a big yellow gate)- if you start riding that trail keep an eye out on your left after about 1/2 a mile- really fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eureka! View Post
    You've got sack, Jack! I'm not certain I would've ridden in those temps anyways. It looks like you found a lot of the good stuff, and then some. I've never ridden any of the stuff on the other side of Wolf Hill Road like you guys did, so I'll definitely have to join you up there (when it's a little warmer). Not sure what you hit in the Badlands (across 122 from the sewer beds), but there is definitely more out there. I spent 6 hours out there one day and didn't hit the same trail twice. Glad it was worth your trip.
    Maybe it was because of the little micro-climate in the parking lot, but I felt warm from the minute we stepped out of the truck. The only time I felt cold was a the exposed fields between Upton and West Hill.

Badlands were badass! Flowy, lots of rock armoring and small rocks stunts. We stuck to what we had on woodsguy's map, but if there's more out there then I'm all over it next time.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    The trail area across Upton Rd ( or Wolf Hill Rd) is West Hill Dam Park- there is a double track loop that runs around the park, but there is also some very nice singletrack as well. Easy and flowy without much climbing- fun stuff and very different from Goat Hill
    We noticed that the park map had the orange loop (which is what we rode) and the longer purple loop looked like the singletrack. We were kinda watching the clock at that point, so we decided to take the shorter of the two.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the heads up, MDC. Dirty Jack, I'll shoot you my info sometime so I can join you next time you want to make the trip up there.

mtbr member
    Hey eureka, if you're up for showing us around, we're going back there tomorrow (Sunday).

Parking in the field off Hartford Ave. Should be there around 8:45. We'll be in a humongous white van, can't miss it.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Parking in the field off Hartford Ave. Should be there around 8:45. We'll be in a humongous white van, can't miss it.
    Dirtyjack, the trails on Goat Hill were suprisingly dry today, however the field for parking was a muddy mess. I recommend parking right across the street, in the back of the Tricounty Medical Center lot so that the field doesn't get further trashed. Have a fun ride... its a sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Hey eureka, if you're up for showing us around, we're going back there tomorrow (Sunday).

See you then! We'll see what I can show you, and if I can keep up. Sounds like you're in better riding condition than me, but I won't pass up the chance to ride goat hill.

Anyone else?
    Jamis Eureka!
    Redline d440

mtbr member
    See you then! We'll see what I can show you, and if I can keep up. Sounds like you're in better riding condition than me, but I won't pass up the chance to ride goat hill.

Anyone else?
    Chris, sorry we weren't able to hook up for a ride, but it was nice to meet you nonetheless.

Turns out the gal that was leading our group is a local, so we got the grand tour (and a grand beating too - she's a pro racer).

Here's our tracks.

The garmin showed 22.4 but the one odometer in the group registered 28 miles, which is likely more accurate.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice you really hit a lot of it . and believe it or not , there is still more! who was the guide ?
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Sounds like some great riding out there. I've been hitting Sutton when I make the long drive from the East Coast to that area of the world. Can anyone compare it to Sutton?

Woodsguy - cool vids. How do you hold that camera behind you the whole time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusjunk View Post
    Nice you really hit a lot of it . and believe it or not , there is still more! who was the guide ?
    Her name is Karen.

What areas did we miss?
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mdc
    mtbr member
    Looking at your GPS tracks I would say you guys did 99% of whats currently out there. Karen knows the area really well so I am sure she didn't leave much out....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, it would have been nice to ride with you guys, but I wouldn't have been able to keep up with everyone. Apparently, my flatland riding as of late didn't do me any good on the climbs, and my chest was a mess, couldn't stop hacking for whatever reason. NEXT TIME, I be certain to be in better riding condition! I'm glad she was able to show you around, she certainly knows more out there than I do. It was nice to meet you, and maybe you guys can show me some of your fave trails sometime.
    Jamis Eureka!
    Redline d440

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Sounds like some great riding out there. I've been hitting Sutton when I make the long drive from the East Coast to that area of the world. Can anyone compare it to Sutton?

Woodsguy - cool vids. How do you hold that camera behind you the whole time?
    Sutton is more techy. Goat Hill is obviously a hill, Ribbon Candy is mostly smooth fast flowy stuff, Badlands is closest to Sutton. This area is probably my favorite followed closely by Sutton, Rayburn, and Singletary.

Thanks for the compliment. I mounted a GoPro to my seatpost.

Here's one I did at Sutton with just an ordinary point and shoot camera.

Here's one of Woodpecker at FOMBA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sutton is more techy. Goat Hill is obviously a hill, Ribbon Candy is mostly smooth fast flowy stuff, Badlands is closest to Sutton. This area is probably my favorite followed closely by Sutton, Rayburn, and Singletary.
    I whole-heartedly agree, Sutton has more rollers on trails like TT, but Badlands has more drops and tons of offshoots. Goat Hill could possibly be compared to Tom's Trail in Sutton, but with tougher climbs.

BTW, is there a name for the trail in Sutton that starts to the right as you cross the fire road off Bridge Trail? It has some great techy parts and drops out onto Tom's Trail and the downhill to the res. Love that one. Come out of the lot, left onto bridge, right onto that trail, left up the hill and TT Loop! Man, I wish I wasn't at the office right now.
    Jamis Eureka!
    Redline d440

mtbr member
    I finally got a chance to ride the trails. Excellent. Quite different from Rutland, my usual riding area. I'll take advantage of the nice weather, and further explore the area.

mtbr member
    Had a great ride out there today. I couldn't print Dirty Jack's map so I drew one by hand, Daniel Boone style, which got me to all the right spots. Goat Hill was great!

Anyone know what this is? It's right off of 122, just about across the street from the water treatment plants. Did not look like it was big enough for someone to do anything but crawl around in and it was enclosed in a pretty big foundation.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Had a great ride out there today. I couldn't print Dirty Jack's map so I drew one by hand, Daniel Boone style, which got me to all the right spots. Goat Hill was great!

Anyone know what this is? It's right off of 122, just about across the street from the water treatment plants. Did not look like it was big enough for someone to do anything but crawl around in and it was enclosed in a pretty big foundation.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    We were wondering about that thing too. I'm guessing it might be an old water collection device of some sort?
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    I whole-heartedly agree, Sutton has more rollers on trails like TT, but Badlands has more drops and tons of offshoots. Goat Hill could possibly be compared to Tom's Trail in Sutton, but with tougher climbs.

BTW, is there a name for the trail in Sutton that starts to the right as you cross the fire road off Bridge Trail? It has some great techy parts and drops out onto Tom's Trail and the downhill to the res. Love that one. Come out of the lot, left onto bridge, right onto that trail, left up the hill and TT Loop! Man, I wish I wasn't at the office right now.
    That's Mistress. I usually do it the other way. I stay left when crossing the fire road and do the TT loop to the res then up to the bottom of Mistress and back up. The first section from the fireroad is pretty good and it eliminates the fireroad climb. Although sometimes I will do the Fisherman's loops, skip Mistress and instead climb the fire road to do that first section of the TT back to the start. Its more downhill that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So from what I read there's trail markings/signs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nrsnow View Post
    So from what I read there's trail markings/signs?
    There are a few signs but I wouldn't rely on them. Some (all?) have tiny reflectors that make night navigation easier. If you have a gps download a track from garmin connect. There are 4 loops with a few variations and Mistress and Crossover. Stick to the st and you shouldn't get too lost. If you start exploring the fire roads you can end up in Manchaug.

Members who have read this thread: 1