Bike Shop and Trails for Southern MA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bike Shop and Trails for Southern MA

I'll be in Fall River next week for a family wedding and am looking to ride at least one day while I'm back there.

I've done some searches and scanned the forum, but most of the rides I've seen are on the Cape or closer to Boston. Any suggestions for something closer to Fall River? If not, I can probably borrow a car and head somewhere within an hour or two, but that's just time I wont be able to spend riding.

Also, I've totally struck searching for a shop that rents bikes. I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you have in that regard.

Thanks in advance,

-James from San Diego

mtbr member
    great place to ride is the freetown state forest. As for places to rent bikes I dont know of any

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, Rich. I've found the trail map for Freetown State Forest, do you have any suggestions as to a good route/loop to do out there?

Also, I found some posts about Massasoit State Park which appears to also be fairly close. I've got the map for that one as well, but if anyone has suggestions on the best routes there I'd appreciate it.

-James

mtbr member
    I dont really have a route that I follow, its really big woods. If you want mostly fire trail riding then I would suggest going in at the ranger station in Freetown. If you're looking to do a little of everything then I would suggest going in by the Fall River industrial park. Park at the corner of Airport Rd and Riggenback (sp?) and ride up the closed part of Riggenback for about a mile or so and there is a trail on the right that will take you into the forest.

mtbr member
    Just checked the spelling.Its Riggenbach. I was in there this A.M. when you ride up Riggenbach look for a spot that has some burned up turf that had been laid down on the right hand side and go up that hill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the info. Headed out there Tuesday if the weather permits. Would appreciate any more details on a route if possible.

mtbr member
    Hey, I know Freetown pretty well and its tricky to navigate. Its big and there are no trail markers. I would recommend riding the northwest part of the park.

The northwest part is where most of the dirtbikes ride. Its got lots of moto trails that loop around and there is a good amount of up and down. The trails are wide and there is lots of moto damage, but there shouldn't be too many motorcycles on a tuesday. To get to the "trailhead" take 24 north to exit 9 then take a left off the exit and take a left onto Copicut road. Then take a right at the intersection with the "triangle" in front of you and take your first right onto a dirt road (Ledge Rd). Park right inside the gate on Ledge Rd. I would recommend riding down ledge road until you get to the first gate on the right. Go through that and look for a singletrack on the right. Follow that and just ride around. Try to find "the Ledge", its a big quarry with a pond at the bottom, the top is the standard break spot. When you get to the top of the Ledge ride out to the road and take the singletrack that is across the dirt road from the top. This is called "Break your bike" and it's technical. Follow that singletrack through 2 or 3 intersections until it splits. Go either way and bear left at the end. Follow the main singletrack and eventually you'll reach the motorcycle parking lot. You'll probably get lost, but most of the trails are pretty entertaining and you can't get too lost, usually you'll end up on upper or lower ledge road.

You can access these trails from the industrial park like rich says, just ride straight north up riggenbach, or take the trail on the right and take a left at the end, then head north. Eventually you'll probably end up at the ledge, or on Ledge Rd.

Expect lots of rocks, roots, some sand, and hopefully not too many blowdowns. Good Luck, I hope the rain holds off.