Belmont / Waltham nite rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Belmont / Waltham nite rides?

Trying to get a regular ride going. Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday nights. Nothing too technical there but I can ride to the trail heads and the bar. Singlespeedable trails.

mtbr member
    I'm game. I'm pretty flexible on days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    I'm game. I'm pretty flexible on days.
    tomorrow - Tuesday night sounds good. I don't really know my way around yet because I just moved to Waltham.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    please keep the rest of us posted on any rides that form in this area. I won't be free til next week. and still recovering from the Vermont 50

mtbr member
    I'm pretty familiar with the trails so I can show you my regular loop (more like a pretzel in there). What time? Where do you want to meet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I work in Waltham, would be interested in a weekly spin on a weeknight. I have a great light system as well, just need to get set up with a dog-walker so I don't have to go home first. Also down for winter/snow adventures as well :-)

mtbr member
    Cool. I'm up for doing more than once a week if needed. I'll run by the public gardens around 6pm tonight if anyone wants to join-in. I have a Giant Trance (blue).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cool. I'm up for doing more than once a week if needed. I'll run by the public gardens around 6pm tonight if anyone wants to join-in. I have a Giant Trance (blue).
    I'll be there. Black Redline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey gang!

Count me in. I live in North Waltham Piety corner/lakeview area and would love to get a local ride anywhere within 10 miles or further west. I've done a tiny ride at the Rock meadow area, and I've gone up and down prospect hill, but otherwise I don't know of much besides the landlocked forest up nawth and Stow town forest out west. Any other good places to ride?

mtbr member
    I'd go too on any night other than Tuesday. Where do you guys meet?

Sandwich - You can check out the Middlesex Fells as well. That should be within your 10 mile radius or a little farther away, you can ride up to Great Brook passed Billerica.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Man my damn light needs to hurry up and get here so I don't miss anymore of these rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I'd go too on any night other than Tuesday. Where do you guys meet?
    We're planning on another ride next Tuesday. I could also do Wed. & Thurs. of next week (weather permitting).

We met down at the Rock Meadow gardens last time. I live in Arlington Heights so if you're coming up from the Minuteman I can meet you and show you my route over.

mtbr member
    We're planning on another ride next Tuesday. I could also do Wed. & Thurs. of next week (weather permitting).

We met down at the Rock Meadow gardens last time. I live in Arlington Heights so if you're coming up from the Minuteman I can meet you and show you my route over.
    Cool. As of now, Wednesday looks good. I shoot in a pool league in Boston on Tuesdays, so that night is no good for me, but Wednesday definitely. I remember taking a fairly direct route by branching off of the minuteman at rte. 2 in alewife and meeting up with some friends just before a bridge and then heading up a long paved hill before getting into some decent trails. That bridge area might be a good meeting spot.

mtbr member

Ha, I live in the heights as well. If you ever see a white Ibis terrorizing the Arlington Meadows paths just give me a wave! If I read through this thread right you have a route from Arlington to Waltham? Is it trails or is it road?

For those asking other places that are close by are the Fells in Medford and Cutler park on the Newton/needham line off exit 19 on 128.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    Ha, I live in the heights as well. If you ever see a white Ibis terrorizing the Arlington Meadows paths just give me a wave! If I read through this thread right you have a route from Arlington to Waltham? Is it trails or is it road?

For those asking other places that are close by are the Fells in Medford and Cutler park on the Newton/needham line off exit 19 on 128.
    I rip through arlington meadows often too. Half the time with my girlfriend and we both are on cannondales. I'll keep a look out for you.

mtbr member
    Here's how I get from my house to the Belmont/Lexington/Waltham trails. This is the only on-street section, the rest is on trail all the way to Bentley.

A ride mapped on 09/30/2011 in Arlington, MA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

I'm guessing Dan that you cross over Route 2 on Park Ave., in which case I can meet you just before the Rotary in front of the Belmont School.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ride tonight. Friday 6pm @ rock meadow.

mtbr member
    I've never really looked into some of these trails. I knew about the trials near the McClean hospital, I've entered them near shaws kind of across from the gardening company parking lot thats right there. Is ther trails in the Audubon Sanctuary and is there trails in the Rock Meadow?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    I've never really looked into some of these trails. I knew about the trials near the McClean hospital, I've entered them near shaws kind of across from the gardening company parking lot thats right there. Is ther trails in the Audubon Sanctuary and is there trails in the Rock Meadow?
    this site gives a pretty good overview. We need more people to ride here.
    Western Greenway — Waltham Land Trust

mtbr member
    Wednesday night ride on? What's the earliest time someone wants to meet up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Depending on how late people go, I may be able to join up. I just picked up a new bike last night, and would love to be able to take it on a test run before bringing it to the kingdom this weekend....but I need to adjust and set it up for me.

mtbr member
    noreaster and I will be at Rock Meadows at 6 PM Mine St.
    Black Giant and a black Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Couldn't make it as I didn't get out of work until 515, and home @ 615. Next time.

mtbr member
    No worries. For future reference, we can do a loop takes us up the hill then back through the lot at about 6:30 or so for stragglers before we hit the Western Greenway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    We need more people to ride here.
    Western Greenway — Waltham Land Trust
    Agreed, there's some ok trails in there that absolutely need to get pounded in a bit.

mtbr member
    Landlocked Forest tonight...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any rides this week? I hope the awesome weather holds out.

mtbr member
    Tuesday (tonight) and Thursday. Ill pass through the parking lot at about 6:15 if anyone is interested in a tour.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    damm, wish I saw that a little earlier. well, Thursday will surely suck with the heavy rain inteh forecast, and the cold season's about to come in, so let's hope that next week makes for some decent riding. hope to catch you then!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Might head to prospect hill this evening to explore a bit...any takers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by overmodulated View Post
    damm, wish I saw that a little earlier. well, Thursday will surely suck with the heavy rain inteh forecast, and the cold season's about to come in, so let's hope that next week makes for some decent riding. hope to catch you then!
    I'm gearing up with cold weather gear and am planning on doing this night ride once/week through the winter for as long as I can stand it. It's a good loop for those new to night riding, like I am, since it's not technical and doesn't have any high penalty spots.
    noreaster showed me the Greenway last week one night and I've ridden it a couple times since during the day by myself to get to know it better and it's a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    sandwich: I'm right near you and right near Prospect Hill. I've done a lot of training for the Vermont 50 this year by repeatedly climbing Prospect Hill. Sorry I didn't see your message until it was too late but maybe we'll do some riding before it gets much colder. I'm around this weekend - let me know if you do any riding.

mtbr member
    I'm a no-go for tomorrow night (Thurs).

On a positive note, I noticed on Tuesday that the vegetation is thinning quickly on the Greenway. My poison ivy detectors (legs) have been silent.

I was at Prospect this weekend for the first time and didn't find much singletrack. I found it to be mostly paved stuff with some insanely steep staircases.....although I did like the bedrock sections on the tops of the two hills. I'm sure a few laps there every night would get you in shape pretty quickly. I actually wound up there looking for the Waltham rail trail and access to the Weston area trails.

I just got some woolies and my hatred for November should keep me motivated for riding into snow season.

I'm in for next Tuesday provided the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll certainly post up if anything materializes this weekend. My other waltham-friend has some riders from out of town in town, so I don't know if it will be in Waltham.

Prospect hill is a weird beast. Ultra narrow, wicked steep. Last time I was up there, I found some not so hidden trails that looked promising, but I haven't been back since. There isn't much in the way of XC though.

mtbr member
    Definitely want to get a night ride going this Wed. or Thurs. weather permitting.
    Meet at Rock Garden parking lot at 6:00, head across Mill Street for some riding there and then circle back through the parking lot to catch any late comers and then out to Waltham via the Western Greenway and back.
    Right now it's looking like Thursday will be the better weather day...
    Last edited by dirtdan; 10-16-2011 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wed works better for me, but 90% chance of rain. I can probably do thursday as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm out this week. hoping for better luck next week. incidentally, I took a quick spin to the top of Prospect Hill tonight just to blow the cobwebs off. no lights on the machine, so I couldn't be out for long.

what do you guys run for lights in the woods, helment mounted lamps or something mounted to the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Best bet is both. I had a bar mounted light, and it was a bit of a challenge, every time your bars wander on a climb your vision is iffy at best....but I think I'd go for it as a cheap method (I am cheap).

Did you by any chance see a goofy looking fella on a Voodoo grinding his way to the top?

mtbr member
    The use of both is definitely the best way to go. I'm using a 250 lumen niterider on the handlebars and a 350 niterider on the helmet (separate battery pack to keep the weight lower on top of the head). I've heard that if you have to choose one or the other that the handlebar is the way to go and I've done that with good enough vision, but adding both is a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I've heard that if you have to choose one or the other that the handlebar is the way to go and I've done that with good enough vision, but adding both is a world of difference.
    I disagree with the first statement, I smashed my head into a low hanging branch, that was when I moved my light to my helmet, I'd rather see where I am looking (i.e diving into a switchback) than where my handlebar is pointed. Both is better though.

I may be able to join on thursday, let me see if I can arrange a dog walker. I work in Waltham so it would be easy for me to be ready to ride this week at 5:45ish. Any good map so I can find the rock garden parking lot? I work on Beaver St., near the train tracks, just off Warren St./Belmont St.

mtbr member
    The theory on having the handlebar mount over the helmet is that you get better definition of the obstacles. When you have a helmet mount the shadows are on your plane of vision and you don't see them as well as when the light comes in from a different angle. I agree though, that it is nice to see what's around the corner.

mtbr member
    BTW... looks like the weather will be fine for a ride tonight. Rock Meadow parking at 6:15 pm if you want to join. I'm game for Thursday as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    no can do today, still trying to make thursday happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm in for thursday, I'll be at the trailhead at about 5:45. If this the lot on the west side of Mill Rd., just south of Concord?

Black Ibis Mojo on a gray Subaru WRX wagon.

mtbr member
    Thursday is good for me. Black Cannondale F5 (hardtail), no car.
    Coloradoxj13 - Yes, that is the lot.
    I'll be there by 6:00.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Unless by some miracle the sun comes out and it is 90* and the trails dry out, I am not going to be riding tonight, just too hard for me to clean a muddy bike with no hose spigot at my house...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    Unless by some miracle the sun comes out and it is 90* and the trails dry out, I am not going to be riding tonight, just too hard for me to clean a muddy bike with no hose spigot at my house...
    You should try skipping the hose and letting it dry and then use brushes to clean it. Helps keep the water out of bottom brackets, cables, headsets, etc.

mtbr member
    Well, I'm bailing on the night ride due to a family illness... Sorry...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    awesome weather this weekend. I'm riding as much as possible starting Sat morning. wouldn't mind checking out this trail. (I actually helped NEMBA build a portion of that trail in Waltham earlier this year)

mtbr member
    Tuesday night looks good this week. Anyone want to join? 6:15 at Rock Meadow parking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    we have some rain going on right now and through the night. if it doesn't look like a mud bath by tomorrow I'll go for a spin.

mtbr member
    Today's wind should have helped dry things out. I'm still in for tonight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Tonight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    me finks it's a muddy mess out there!

mtbr member
    This week? I have a rare Tuesday night free for now...

mtbr member
    I think tonight is a good night for a ride...

mtbr member
    Parking lot at 6:00, we'll head across Mill St. and then circle back through the lot at 6:30 to catch any stragglers...

mtbr member
    -Bump-

It looks like the weather is going to be excellent next week. Trails were already dried out as of this Monday.

Want to start up a weekly group ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    that would be great. Today (Sunday) is our best day of the year - might be taking a spin tonight

mtbr member
    I'll be out there Mon-Wed nights this week. Meet at the gardens next to the lower parking at Rock Meadow at 6 if you want to join. Bring lights.

mtbr member
    Is the Western Greenway legit for mountain bikes? Any issues with rangers or treehuggers? Also, whats the best place to park? thx

mtbr member
    Belmont/WG doesn't have the drama of the Fells so no need to worry about having to break a human chain barricade.

As for parking there are a number of options. You can park at the Star Market in Belmont center and climb the nearby Hill. This will give you a bit of a climb to get warmed up. Also there are two lots off of Winter St. near the Rock Gardens (one on the right and another on the left) with plenty of parking.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot. Looking forward to try it out.

mtbr member
    Keep me in the loop for these rides. Tuesday nights I can't do, but other weeknights I'm in for and would love to get back in the routine of doing this night ride each week.

mtbr member
    Post em up. Just started a new job that's taking up a lot of time, but I may be looking to do some later rides.

mtbr member
    *Maybe Thursday or Friday this week.

*Edit: No Friday for me, but definitely Thursday if anyone wants to join. The night ride usually starts at 6 PM at the lot on Mill St. We cross the road for some riding in Rock Meadow and then circle back around and head through the lot again to catch any late comers.
    Last edited by dirtdan; 04-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm around and currently unemployed so ready to go when you guys are! Just had my XT hubs laced up and am waiting on a rotor which should be here soon.

mtbr member
    Looks like we'll be getting a night ride in tonight if anyone is interested... 6:00 in the Mill St. lot and we'll circle back through around 6:30-6:40...

mtbr member
    I'll be riding tonight. 6 at the Rock Meadow Gardens/ 6:15 Belmont Shaws/ 6:30 Rock Meadow Gardens again, and Greenway from there.

mtbr member
    Riding again tonight. Usual path. 6 @ Rock Meadow, 6:15 Shaws, 6:30 Rock Meadow and onto the Greenway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    are you guys out late enough to demand lights this time of year? I'd like to join tonight, for the first time, but won't have any lights.

mtbr member
    I can't wait to rejoin you guys. Stupid injured ribs.

mtbr member
    No problemo. If you meet me at the Belmont Rock Meadow parking at 615 we can get an hour in before it gets dark. I can throw my spare light in my bag just in case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks! I'm on my way.

mtbr member
    Injury healed, I'm back in the game. Thursday night?

mtbr member
    Count me in for Thurs. I'll probably be out there tonight as well.

mtbr member
    Count me in for Thurs. I'll probably be out there tonight as well.
    I should be good for Thursday night. I went out a little earlier today with the woman and surprised we didn't bump into you on our way back. I was bit overzealous, bumped my handlebar on a tree, which prevented me from turning where I wanted to which ran me straight into the next tree, shoulder is bruised, but I think I'll be okay. I have to stop wrecking...

mtbr member
    Looks like rain will hold off until at least 9 PM so there's a good chance this ride will happen tonight.

mtbr member
    Ride tonight (Monday 5/7). Belmont Rock Meadow parking at 6:15 if you want to join.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    good ride tonight! and great system of trails through Belmont and Waltham - still learning what's out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How's the poison ivy doing? I've been hunting it in my yard and last time i was in the area, I saw it all over 50% of the trees....

mtbr member
    My poison ivy detectors (legs) haven't sounded any alerts, but you can see ivy all along the trail. Veering into the woods is not advisable.

Great ride last night, Phil. Trails were still pretty dry even with all the rain last week.

mtbr member
    Ride tonight. Belmont Rock Meadow parking at 6:15pm.

mtbr member
    The rain is supposed to hold off, and if it does, we'll be riding tonight. Rock Meadow parking lot at 6:15.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode through there yesterday:
    nope.avi - YouTube

The north/east section of the rock meadow "bikes allowed" trail puts you right through poison ivy central. Are they serious? I'm the last person to say "let's poach a trail" but there's no way in hell I'm riding through that. It honestly looks like they did it on purpose, judging by how the trail runs right through it. I rode from waltham to belmont center and back, and came away with only a little bit on my legs, but I skipped that whole section. Do you guys ride through it? Does your flesh melt off after? Can we request a reroute around that section?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I rode through there yesterday:
    nope.avi - YouTube

The north/east section of the rock meadow "bikes allowed" trail puts you right through poison ivy central. Are they serious? I'm the last person to say "let's poach a trail" but there's no way in hell I'm riding through that. It honestly looks like they did it on purpose, judging by how the trail runs right through it. I rode from waltham to belmont center and back, and came away with only a little bit on my legs, but I skipped that whole section. Do you guys ride through it? Does your flesh melt off after? Can we request a reroute around that section?
    I'm not sure of the exact section you're talking off, but I haven't been going any farther than the projects when riding from Belmont... The whole trail is a little too grown in and a lot of the riding consists of dodging branches which is kind of a nuisance...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hmm...the area I'm talking about is on the east side of the road, opposite the gardens, and up the hill. I can't find a decent map for whatever reason, but you head up the hill, and there is a very specific "bikes only" section of single track. It goes south of the big meadow, and the pine tree alley trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

It's right between the 15 and 16 on the yellow trail. The route is fairly specific, and doesn't "allow" you to go north or south at the last intersection, so you head straight, and just after you crest a rock wall, it's like right into the pit of despair. I had wanted to use those trails to commute to work, but that's not gonna work...I think the little black line is the rock wall I'm speaking of.

mtbr member
    Sheesh... you think it is bad in there, you had better close your eyes when you get close to Trapelo Road. Lots of shiny leaves-of-three along the trail.

I'm always too busy staring/thinking about/planning for that one sharpened punji stick in the spot you mentioned to notice the poison ivy.

FWIW, I don't usually get poison ivy on my Belmont rides- including the Greenway- unless I hit the short lollipop loop on the north end of Rock Meadow. (to the right in the woods just beyond the bench).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode from Trapelo/Forest st up and in, across thebridge and out over the road, then up and through that lone tree hill area. It's just that everywhere else, the trail is 4ft wide. Up there, it's singletrack and your feet will be in it.

I'm just wondering if I'm paranoid/nutso and it's not as big a deal as I think it is. I seem to have just a little bit on my ankles, but after battling it in my yard, I really don't want to get it again.

mtbr member
    Sandwich - I've never even noticed the poison ivy there... I sometimes have a spot or two on my leg, but never any single spot larger than 1/2"X1/2." And I'm pretty sure that I'm picking it up at spots other than there because riding near Trapelo Rd. is just full of leg to foliage contact... It's how I imagine mountain biking in a Rambo movie would be like if there were a mountain biking scene...

mtbr member
    The "near Trapelo road" section I'm thinking of is behind Falzone Memorial Park... not the section over near Forest Street.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Poison Ivy Alley! I have some now from my last ride there. Not too bad though - am consciously avoiding the urge to scratch my arm up and spread it all over.

And while we're at it, cover yourselves with DEET. I not only found a tick on me after the last ride but found one in my car a week after.

All of that aside, it's an awesome ride and I've done it a number of times with the guys on this thread.

mtbr member
    Time to resurrect this thread and I'll admit, I've been slacking on my Western Greenway rides. The overgrowth is just too annoying.
    Does anyone want to get together one weekend and bring some clippers and go trim this trail back every couple of weeks? Should I start a new thread looking for volunteers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for offering to improve the trail conditions - they certainly need it, especially in those places that jeopardize wheel spokes if riders are not careful. I'd be concerned about the ivy though - remember what happened last time we stopped to clear the fallen limb - that's when I got it. is there an optimum time of year tro clear brush?

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    Anybody riding Belmont woods this evening. Easy pace, quick few loops to start the week off right. Lone Tree hill parking lot...5:30pm/6?

mtbr member
    Not sure if you're a NEMBA member, but I believe they have a meeting at Belmont wheelworks and I know a few guys are meeting there at 5:30 for a pre-ride of Belmont and then the meeting. I was planning on going, but looks like I'll miss the ride but am going to try and make it for the meeting since Western Greenway is part of their agenda.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    it was a nice night ... wish I could have gone

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Monday nights?

Gonna try riding monday nights this fall. Meet at 6:00 @ rock meadow. I don't know the area yet so I'll need someone else to lead the ride. Singlespeed so I'm slow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey edge, I might be able to make Monday nights depending on when I get home from this new job. I'm new to mtb, but have hit the Greenway a few times over the past few weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-sep View Post
    Hey edge, I might be able to make Monday nights depending on when I get home from this new job. I'm new to mtb, but have hit the Greenway a few times over the past few weeks.
    welcome to mtb!

mtbr member
    I'm going to start doing this ride on Mondays, but because of work schedule I/we won't be leaving until 8 PM... We'll be leaving from Belmont Wheelworks just after 8 PM and passing through Mill St. around 8:20...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can't believe I'm just seeing this now... I lived off Belmont Street for 8 years and know Rock Meadow, Lot 1, and that area like the back of my hand. Could've joined and led any number of loops! I moved to Framingham 3 weeks ago... dagnabbit!

I'd shoot out for some trail work, though!

mtbr member
    Anyone ride Tuesdays or Thursdays early morning? I commute from NH to Waltham those days. Things don't get going in the office until 10:00 so I do most of my riding in the morning. I might be able to make one of your evening rides but I'll have to get some lights first.

mtbr member
    I've been bike commuting on the Greenway so I'm riding most mornings and will probably ride this Thurs as long as the rain has stopped by then. I plan on passing through Rock Meadow around 8:30 if you want to jump on. I go all the way through to the Paine estate.

And Steve, if you're interested in starting over at the Paine Estate on Mondays I'm usually riding through there around 5:30pm.

mtbr member
    Can you give me a street address of where I could meet you? I'm not very familiar with the area. I usually just pass by on 128

mtbr member
    Heading south on Mill Street, Rock Meadow parking is just before 248 Mill Street, Belmont, MA. You'll see a sign on your right and a crosswalk at the driveway... just after a large open meadow. PM me and I'll pass along my cell #.

mtbr member
    Ok, that's about 10 minutes from my office. Awesome. Is this the best map to use if I want to get in an hour of riding? http://walthamlandtrust.org/open-spa...tion-guide.pdf

I can't do Thursday but I should be able to meet you next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How long (time or miles) of a pretzel shaped ride do you put together in there?
    Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c-woj View Post
    How long (time or miles) of a pretzel shaped ride do you put together in there?
    Thx.
    You can easily put together 25 miles of singletrack with only a handful of road crossings and a few doubletrack miles.

If you need more mileage, you can combine the WG with Prospect Hill then Weston Conservation lands with some short on-street sections.

Chuyler1- The trails on that map can keep you busy for about an hour when combined with the stuff on Lone Tree Hill (Coal Road/McLean's Demise/Hoboville)

These are only the tip the iceberg though... There are trails that run all the way from Rock Meadow to Waltham center.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thx. Good to know. I'd like to give it a shot some time.
    Be safe, have fun.

mtbr member
    Wow, cool! I think I'll start with meeting you (hopefully next week) and eventually I'll see if I can create a longer ride leaving from my workplace which is right near Main St an Bear Hill Rd.

mtbr member
    Cool. Just let me know when.

There is some great riding pretty close to your office. Here's a map from a ride I did out there where I was checking out some of the trails:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Explorations near Weston | Times and Records | Strava

I really liked the area just south of the Weston College lands.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just found some really impressive trails in the storer conservation land area. It's a great way to link up belmont and prospect hill....though you could also take that further down into weston if you had the guff.

mtbr member
    Cool, I could easily get to those trails from my office. Looks like I need to start bringing the bike to work. Of course I only drive in 2 days a week, and I usually ride the days I'm not in. Not sure my body can take riding 5 days a week!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've been bike commuting on the Greenway so I'm riding most mornings and will probably ride this Thurs as long as the rain has stopped by then. I plan on passing through Rock Meadow around 8:30 if you want to jump on. I go all the way through to the Paine estate.

And Steve, if you're interested in starting over at the Paine Estate on Mondays I'm usually riding through there around 5:30pm.
    Hey Andy, I just got back on the bike so I'll be starting and ending near beaver brook till I get my wind. My house is right on the trail near the bridge in the woods. Will have a post ride beers around my fire pit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Post ride beers is good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    . My house is right on the trail near the bridge in the woods. Will have a post ride beers around my fire pit!
    This is perhaps the most significant trail improvement in recent history.

Maybe I can shift my schedule around to get a couple hours away from baby duty on Monday evenings to come out for a ride.

sandwich- I'm interested in hearing how you link Prospect Hill Park with the Greenway. It looks like you can cross Lexington at Stanley Road and hit the trails on the church's land, but it isn't clear where there would be a good spot to get across Totten Pond Road from there.

chuyler- You can rest when there's a foot of snow covering the trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-sep View Post
    Post ride beers is good!
    oh yeah, it's gonna be a good season just hope the don't allow hunting in Belmont

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The best way I can think of is to head up the road a bit. From the Trapelo/Alderwood road end of the rock meadow area, you'd have to head down Forest st to Beaver St. Right at that intersection is a trailhead that is the western greenway. Up an over takes you past Stonehurst and then down into "Chesterbrook Road", or the community right next to it. If you go into the community, you just head down to lexington St and cross onto Curve (traffic patterns actually make it relatively easy at 6pm). Curve to winter, winter to the skating rink, then cross trapelo at the skating rink. There's a crosswalk there now. Hurf and gurf your way to the top of prospect, then schralp off the backside (really fun, really steep trail) and come out on Cowasset way. Ride through the neighborhood down to the old traintracks, and you could take that out to weston (once it's refurbished, of course). Otherwise you could probably just hurf up the other entrace to prospect, go up over the top, and ride down the face, which would also be fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is perhaps the most significant trail improvement in recent history.

Maybe I can shift my schedule around to get a couple hours away from baby duty on Monday evenings to come out for a ride.

sandwich- I'm interested in hearing how you link Prospect Hill Park with the Greenway. It looks like you can cross Lexington at Stanley Road and hit the trails on the church's land, but it isn't clear where there would be a good spot to get across Totten Pond Road from there.

chuyler- You can rest when there's a foot of snow covering the trails!
    are there trails on the church's land? i live frighteningly close to there, but I haven't seen much worth riding. Most of it is covered in PI too, which makes any kind of connecting trail difficult.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm thinking about hitting up the Rock Meadow and Greenway today if I'm not too tired after work (landscaper) and if it's also not thrashed after the storm. Could be iffy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    The best way I can think of is to head up the road a bit. From the Trapelo/Alderwood road end of the rock meadow area, you'd have to head down Forest st to Beaver St. Right at that intersection is a trailhead that is the western greenway. Up an over takes you past Stonehurst and then down into "Chesterbrook Road", or the community right next to it. If you go into the community, you just head down to lexington St and cross onto Curve (traffic patterns actually make it relatively easy at 6pm). Curve to winter, winter to the skating rink, then cross trapelo at the skating rink. There's a crosswalk there now. Hurf and gurf your way to the top of prospect, then schralp off the backside (really fun, really steep trail) and come out on Cowasset way. Ride through the neighborhood down to the old traintracks, and you could take that out to weston (once it's refurbished, of course). Otherwise you could probably just hurf up the other entrace to prospect, go up over the top, and ride down the face, which would also be fun.
    If you go to OpenStreetMap you'll see some bike trails that run parallel to the Curve St./Winter St. section you are mentioning on the lands marked "Espousal Retreat Center". I believe you can reach the rink from those trails and do the crossing there at the crosswalk. I've seen some CX bikers on Strava use a trail through there so it shouldn't be too bad.

Also note that you can ride singletrack from Rock Meadow to Chesterbrook Woods, if instead of taking Forest/Beaver street, you follow the Western Greenway along Lexington Street.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the 6pm Monday ride. Sorry I can't stick around for the late ride Dan.

I also should be able to do Tues/Thurs morning as long as the weather cooperates.

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    I'm biking by belmont this evening and will riding through rock meadow and around if anybody is interested. Rock meadow parking lot..6pm, ride until it gets to dark (no lights yet)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm in for the 6pm Monday ride. Sorry I can't stick around for the late ride Dan.

I also should be able to do Tues/Thurs morning as long as the weather cooperates.
    will Be there

mtbr member
    Slacker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rock meadow parking lot. 6pm tonight.

mtbr member
    I'm in. See you at 6.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm in. See you at 6.
    Flooded basement. I'm out.

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    Going to "try" and ride Rock meadow this evening (Thursday). 5:45 or so...meet up in the parking lot and ride from there. Ride until it gets dark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I work in Waltham but I'm not too familiar with the area as im right off 95...Can anyone point my to a trail map of what you guys are riding to see if I can join?

mtbr member
    Hybrid,

This is an overview of the Western Greenway. Western Greenway — Waltham Land Trust

Here's a map of how I commute from Arlington to Newton (through Waltham) using the Western Greenway and Charles River trails. Nor'Easter Backcountry: One Down. Two to Go.

This Strava track also touches most of the good stuff: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 18miles near Arlington | Times and Records | Strava

This GPS program shows most of the trails in MetroWest and there's a smartphone app that you can use out on the trails: OpenStreetMap

You're welcome to join me on my Tues/Thurs commute.

There are also some good maps higher up in the thread that someone posted for Rock Meadow.

Hope that helps.

noreasterbackcountry: What smartphone app do you use with open street map? I installed "MapsWithMe" that supposedly uses Open Street Map maps, however the maps are not at the same level of granularity. For example, all the Weston trails in Fiske town forest aren't shown.

mtbr member
    I use OpenMaps. Make sure in the settings that you have the map type on "OpenCycleMap".

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    10:00 AM Sunday, rock meadow. Slow wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwww

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    Awsome. I might try and make it there and tag along for a bit

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    These XC trails are getting dialed.. Tons of bridge work.

Tuesday 6:30 @ rock meadow.

mtbr member
    Any interest out there in weeknight rides a little later, ie 8 or 9 pm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm interested in doing some night riding. How technical are these trails?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tedmasta View Post
    I'm interested in doing some night riding. How technical are these trails?
    They are just technical enough to keep me awake on a rigid singlespeed at night..

mtbr member
    I ride them on my cyclocross bike without any problems

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Any interest out there in weeknight rides a little later, ie 8 or 9 pm?
    I'd be up for one of these rides and have done them that late in the past after work. (I work in Belmont until 8PM on Monday, Thursday and Friday.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Tuesday night, the 16th @ 6:30. Anybody going?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would be very interested in a later ride, say 7pm or 8pm start, once or twice a week. I work in Waltham, and get out at normal hours (5-5:30) but need to jet back to Somerville to walk my dog before I could ride. Thursdays are a no-go for me, any other day works. I'd probably bring my rigid singlespeed, have an excellent set of lights so no problems there. Also have tons of winter gear, so cold/snow isn't a problem either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Tuesday night the 23rd 6:30 @ rock meadow, IF anyone replies.

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    I'm out for tonight....but keeping my fingers crossed for a ride thursday evening, earlier start...5:45/6pm

mtbr member
    Anyone still doing these rides or interested in bringing them back? I usually get to the bottom of coal road around 6:30 and start out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I can't get there for a couple weeks most likely, but I work in Watertown and am totally down for a post-work ride and post-ride beer/grub. Is the best access point from the south the Shaw's parking lot off pleasant St. and Trapelo rd? I'd be driving up so don't mind driving a bit more if there's a better night-time parking area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
    I can't get there for a couple weeks most likely, but I work in Watertown and am totally down for a post-work ride and post-ride beer/grub. Is the best access point from the south the Shaw's parking lot off pleasant St. and Trapelo rd? I'd be driving up so don't mind driving a bit more if there's a better night-time parking area.
    I usually ride over there but I think Shaws or the parking lot on Mill Street, although I don't know if there is any issue parking on Mill St at night. Someone else could probably chime in on that.